Author Topic: Enjoying My Journey Back to Good Health  (Read 79213 times)

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Enjoying My Journey Back to Good Health
« on: August 14, 2010, 09:48:30 AM »
I just wanted to let you know that I am doing very well with my new "Fat to Skinny" lifestyle.  I have yo-yo'd for years, from my teens and up, now in my early 50's.  Back in 1999 I reached my highest recorded weight of 193 lbs. (I may have been higher, but didn't get on the scale).  I didn't want to see 200 so I got busy and took off 33 lbs., but little by little it started to creep back up.  At 184 lbs. I again got serious and got back down to 170 lbs. but even with exercising I wasn't able to get below the 170.  At this time I started to have issues with high blood pressure and diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic.  I now take pills for both, and my weight was creeping up again.

Back in July I read an article in our local paper about Doug's book and thought it sounded interesting.  I sent for the book on www.chapters.ca.  On the 19th of July I began my new life at 176 lbs.  I am very pleased with how easy it is to follow and I don't feel that urge to eat things that I shouldn't.  In less that 4 weeks I have taken off 13 pounds, now down to 163.  My blood sugar numbers are excellent and when I went to the Dr's. for a checkup on Friday, my blood pressure was lower that it has ever been since the high blood pressure diagnosis.  I am feeling great and am hoping when I go back to the Dr's. in 2 months he cuts down on my medication.

I bought a pedometer and have started walking at least 10,000 steps per day.  I feel great.  I haven't gone down in clothes size yet, but probably because I have stretched them out and am now fitting into them properly.  I am loving the forum.  Everyone seems so supportive of each other and am really enjoying experimenting with all of the recipe posts that are there.  Thank you for helping me and I'll keep you posted on my progress.

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
Re: Enjoying My Journey Back to Good Health
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 09:58:10 AM »
sweet:) love the pedometer,they say you should walk at least 10,000 steps per day,i do the same thing..... eating without SUGAR and exercising along the way.... you'll be there before you know it:) great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 06:29:14 PM »
Well done! Welcome to the family 8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:13:33 PM »
Welcome & Congrats

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 08:14:37 AM »
Well I was stuck on a plateau for a couple of weeks and even with going camping this weekend, the scale moved down.  I was so excited!!  Camping used to be a weekend long eat-fest, but I went prepared with my FTS weapons (LaTortilla's, 1 minute muffins, GG Bran Crispbread, etc.).  When my husband was munching out on potato chips, I got out my pork rinds (did not eat them from the bag, counted out my portion) and I had almonds for when he ate salty peanuts (again, not out of the container).  I didn't feel the need to snack every time he did, but I was prepared in case I did.  I didn't keep my food diary while I was gone, but wrote everything down and counted it up when I got home and I was well under the 20 net carbs each day.

I am now at the lowest weight that I reached 10 years ago.  I know the rest of the weight will come off slowly because it has been with me a long time.  I am feeling great, my blood sugar and blood pressure numbers are amazing, my clothes are fitting me different and I feel like I have a little extra pep in my step. 
Hope everyone has a great day!!!

joagain

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 08:22:19 AM »
Congrats  Shihtzumom1

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 08:25:43 AM »
gotta love the extra "pep in the step" use it wisely to accelerate your weight loss:) way to go!!!!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 09:24:48 AM »
I am so happy for you!! Good health is a reward in itself! Congrats on your weight loss you are doing great! ;D

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 09:46:36 AM »
Thanks for the congrats.  I have to correct myself.  I weigh 2 pounds less than I did 10 years ago when I thought I had such an amazing weight loss.  160 pounds is where I was stuck on my plateau, I am now 157.5.  I treated myself today with low carb pancakes and SF syrup for breakfast.  I received the pancake mix with my first order from the Low Carb Grocery Store in Markham, ON last week.  I had been avoiding making them while I was stuck at the plateau, but totally enjoyed them this morning as a reward for all of my hard work.  It seems funny that I am so satisfied with a low carb treat.  That is not what I would have eaten as a reward back in the old days.  :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 05:02:04 PM »
I totally understand ! i am so happy for you! ;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 02:52:02 PM »
You go girl, you WILL reach your goal weight....I'm certain of it. Very proud of you  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

paulachappell

• View Profile
    • An Ounce of Heart Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 08:10:01 PM »
thanks for sharing your progress. i love to read these uplifting stories after a long day.  i am very excited that my husband finally feels like going to the fitness center again. we went back for the first time in a while tonight!

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 08:51:06 PM »
Well I cut back to ten carbs and my sugar started dropping to low.....hmmmI did cut out the soda and ALL sugar free candies this week havent seen a difference yet.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 09:21:22 AM »
Paula your husband is amazing!!!  ;D

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 09:07:42 AM »
Well I did have a 1/2 pound weight loss last week, which is not an amazing loss, but is still a loss.  That includes going to a wedding on Saturday.  I was very careful to plan ahead.  I ate my lunch around 2:30pm so I wasn't starving when we sat down to dinner.  At dinner I think I made pretty good choices.  When the basket of buns came around, I sent them on by.  I did have salad, but it came with Italian dressing already on it.  The dressing was sitting on top, in the middle with chopped tomatoes neatly encircling it.  I was the first to take salad so I tried to dig around the sides to not get dressing.  I did get a little, so I'm sure there was sugar in it.  I suppose I should have asked for some salad without dressing, but I thought of that after.  I passed up the pasta and meatballs (I'm sure they had breadcrumbs in them).  I took a piece of boneless chicken breast that was stuffed with jalapeno cheese and wrapped in bacon, and the vegetable that they had was carrots.  I took about 1/4 cup because I know they have hidden sugar, I suppose I shouldn't have taken them, but I did and didn't take any roasted potatoes.  At dessert time I took Doug's suggestion and put some SF candy in my purse instead of hiding in the bathroom when the dessert came around.  So when the others were eating a ricotta stuffed crepes with raspberry sauce, I had my favourite Russell Stover SF Peanut butter cup.

I'll be honest and tell you I did have 2 cocktails, but chose vodka & club soda as opposed to wine.  I understand that it has zero carbs but still may hinder weight loss, but still was a better choice and I did plan before I went that this is what I was going to do.  I did get out on the dance floor and I'm sure burnt off a few calories.  I was feeling very good about myself so I was not uncomfortable to get up and dance whereas before I would sit out on the fast dances that all the girls get up and do because their husbands will only dance slow (like my husband).  

The hard part came when they brought out a late buffet.  They had platters of sweets.  I had to walk by them enroute to the ladies room and I could feel myself start to salivate.    When I walked back to my table I saw that they had also put out pizza, so I got some for my husband and I, and sat down and picked off the cheese and pepperoni with my fingers and ate it.  I know it's not very lady like, but I don't think at that time of night anyone even noticed.  It did the trick.  I felt content and didn't go near the sweet table.

I felt that I had a very successful evening.  I was quite proud of myself that I just didn't just give in and just eat everything and tell myself that I would get back on track the next day.  I didn't feel like I missed out on anything and had a great time.

Have a great week everyone!!!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 02:58:14 PM by Doug Varrieur »