Author Topic: FTS Diet Derailment...?  (Read 4602 times)

schultzkr01

• View Profile
FTS Diet Derailment...?
« on: August 04, 2010, 06:00:45 PM »
Hi!

I am fairly new to FTS, trying my best to eat low carb/low sugar.  While I can do so the majority of the time, there are still times where my work & social obligations make it very difficult.  My question is, will one or two BAD meals a week completely "derail" my FTS weight loss?  Now clearly I'd be better off and lose more weight faster if I didn't eat any of these BAD meals, but I would think sticking mostly to FTS is better than no FTS at all.

I realize this is sort of like "2 steps forward, 1 step back", but I'm wondering if there is any body chemistry reaction or something that would cause these BAD meals to have an even greater effect, like "2 steps forward and 3 steps back"!!

Anyone know what I mean?

DoreenBar

• MSN Messenger - halfway37@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: FTS Diet Derailment...?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 08:52:29 AM »
Well I guess if your just trying to eat better every so often its good for you but if your trying to lose weight and make it a lifestyle ...Forget about it!...First of all your body when eating low carbs and getting the sugar out goes into ketone...Burning Stored Fat!...Its a whole process losing weight this way and keeping sugar spikes at bay so your not going off track...Just my 2 cents but Doug will be here to explain more...
Live each day as if it was on purpose.

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 10:14:57 AM »
doreen is right:)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:42:37 AM »
Doreen is correct. The process of burning fat cells for fuel will be ceased if the body can find alternative fuel....now that doesn't mean you won't lose weight with an on again, off again program but eventually the weight loss will stop. I look at it this way, either you "smoke or you don't", "drink or you don't", "eat sugar or you don't". You will be far better off learning how to eat low sugar during your social environment challenges....go ahead and post your examples so the team can give you proper alternatives and suggestions.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

SouthCarolinaLady

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 11:10:13 AM »
Doug, I was wondering if you keep your carbs under 20 for the day, but eat later in the evening, does that make a difference on weight gain?   Thanks and have a great day!   :D

SouthCarolinaLady  (Susie)

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 11:58:15 AM »
yes it makes a big difference...its better to eat you carbs earlier in the day as opposed to later:)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 03:27:56 PM »
20 carbs for 24 hours.Although I understand Katarys theory of eating them earlier so you can burn them off. ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 04:29:11 PM »
Umpa and I rarely eat after 6-6:30 pm. You will notice most of my dinners in the books are very low in carbs. You'll also notice carbs are usually found in the breakfast and lunch recipes so......yes, we personally eat less carbs in the evening than any other time of the day.  I think each individual metabolism will determine the effect of eating carbs later in the day. Katary's thoughts have good basis simply because you are active throughout the day there for you're more apt to burn off eaten sugar.

paulachappell

• View Profile
    • An Ounce of Heart Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 05:31:33 PM »
Hi schultzkr01!  Welcome....I frequently am faced with situations where I am confronted with copious amounts of sugar and carb laden foods between pharmaceutical reps at work bringing in goodies and catered meals and church functions.  I can never think of even one time when I was not able to stick with FTS by carefully selecting my food choices.  There is almost always some sort of meat and salad and I keep my own dressing at work.  You just have to make up your mind you are going to do it, hang in there a little while and it won't even bother you anymore to do without that JUNK! An added bonus is that other people become intrigued by what you are doing and want to talk to you about it so it gives you opportunities to share the truth about the poison they are feeding themselves.

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2

schultzkr01

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Thanks everyone!  FTS is still a struggle for me, but I'm going to try to stick with it and hope it gets easier.

But regardless of the usual temptations which would totally blow my daily carb count to smithereens (sp?), I still find it hard to stay under 20g carbs per day when eating the right low-carb foods.  Like most vegetables still have 2-3g carbs per 1/2 cup, and I could eat about 5 cups worth throughout the day.  I'm not even a big girl, I swear!

Doug, Umpa, and others...I am seriously awed by how you can keep it under 20g per day.  And Doug--how you say you sometimes only each brunch and then aren't hungry again until dinner time??!  I would go CRAZYYYYYYYYYYY!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 08:44:47 AM »
Proteins and fats are much heavier in the body and take much longer to metabolize than veggies so If I have a salad for brunch I'll be hungry again around 3pm. BUT if I sit down to a fat cheeseburger wrapped in romaine with some pork rinds on the side at brunch I've eaten zero carbs and that meal will carry me all the way till dinner....with maybe a small handfull of almonds sometime in between. Us FAT folks have been trained over the years to eat salads, salads and more salads. It's not that salads are bad I love them, their not bad ....in moderation... carb counts in veggies do indeed add up that's why it's important to keep things mixed up. Next time you make a salad cut back on the veggies a bit and add some protein on top like grilled chicken or make a chefs salad with meats and cheeses.