Author Topic: Frustration with Medical Staff  (Read 2852 times)

Happy2bthin4me

• View Profile
    • Email
Frustration with Medical Staff
« on: September 24, 2015, 02:59:04 PM »
Hello! Long time no post! I have been back at my way of eating for a few months now and keeping on. I've just been very busy with work and my husband buying and taking over his boss' business. Whew. Anyhoo...

I went to the dr today (I saw the Nurse Practitioner) about a couple of minor nagging things and she mentioned she's noticed I've lost some weight since last visit. I said thanks I've been running 3-5 miles a day 5 days a week and looking after my diet. Then she mentioned shed lost a lot of weight but had put back 20 lbs recently. She said she's a carb addict. I said well I've given up refined carbs. She immediately went kamikaze on my and said "don't cut them out completely! You need at least 30% of you diet to be carbs or your brain doesn't function." Then she repeated herself a couple more times.  I didn't feel like arguing over ketones and the brain utilizing ketones more efficiently then sugar with her because I know she is Scottish like me and VERY stubborn. I just okay. Thank you. I'm frustrated. Why can't people read up and be supportive of something that is working and helping me and my brain is working better then ever thank you! Ugh. 😕😡 I wish I had an open minded medical professional anywhere near me. The only ones near me are 85 miles north. Sigh. I would love to share how great I feel with people around me but right now I get so much negativity from people when I mention it. I'm going to stick with the "I've cut out junk food, refined sugar, and eat a tone of veggies now" schpeal. I don't get people lecturing me. Grrr! Do some research on some of the latest studies! I'm even what I would consider a keto-adapted runner and I still can't explain how I can run for 10-12 miles with no Gatorade or energy gels and feel fantastic!

I'm just gonna shake my head at this one. Can any of you guys commiserate on this topic?

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Frustration with Medical Staff
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 12:09:37 PM »
Hi, Happy2bthin4me! :)

Your experience with your healthcare provider is typical.
Only a few have kept up with recent research about carbs and ketones.
And many are simply reluctant to change.

The good new is, what we know as true is spreading. But it will take time to get all around.

The body is an amazing machine and medical science is still learning about how it works. Medicine is NOT a settled science. In fact, no science is settled.
Science's purpose is the continual search for truth.
How many ideas has science abandoned in light of new research findings?
Some providers forget this.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Frustration with Medical Staff
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 08:50:56 AM »
nutritionist are the worst! Doctors and nurses are only as good as they study! But remember they work FOR you they are not the boss of you! ;)