Author Topic: SO Distraught and Frustrated  (Read 7166 times)

jackibar

• View Profile
    • Gorden and Jacki's Place
SO Distraught and Frustrated
« on: July 08, 2015, 02:31:07 PM »
Hi, Everyone...

So I've been absent a while - again.  Not because I've been doing bad - in fact quite the opposite. My eating has been impeccable lately. But my weight has not BUDGED and I'm SO aggravated and feel just trapped...

At this point, I've lost 80 lbs. total but am still a BMI of 43 (over 100 lbs. overweight still) and my orthopedic surgeon refuses to do knee replacements until I'm under a BMI of 40. I've been stuck at this weight (right around 250) since Christmas! I'm getting SO frustrated. I will drop to around 245 and then sometimes literally overnight it will jump up to 258. About 4 weeks ago now I started doing more of a ketogenic form of low carb - really watching every carb and keeping it usually under 10 grams a day (can you do TOO low?) - and increasing the coconut oils, etc., to usually 85% fat for the day. Also keeping my protein lower at around 70 grams a day. Right when I started doing this, the weight started dropping again - down to 250 - then shot right back up. I'm at 254 today and just about to give up in frustration but I don't know what else I would do... My blood sugar has dropped a LOT since I started the ketogenic style - I'm almost totally off my fast acting insulin and only taking Lantus now and staying in normal range! I'm also in ketosis per my blood ketone meter - averaging around 1.8 - so why on earth would the weight not BUDGE?! I also cut out ALL the sugar alcohols and "fake foods" when I started this 4 weeks ago...

I do have thyroid issues but am taking WP thyroid (a natural dessicated thyroid like Armour) but maybe it's not working...??!!  Is there anything else I'm missing? I wondered about intermittent fasting or a fat fast to see if this plateau would break. I'm just SO desperate to get down to that weight of under 230 so I can get my surgery on my knees - I feel I'm making NO progress at all. Like there's just no hope and I'm trapped in this body and at this weight and there's nothing I can do about it. The fatigue and knee problems make it hard to exercise - I can't do anything that requires getting up and down off the floor and most of the videos I find require this. Or squats or something else I can't do. I'm also allergic to chlorine so going to the public pools is out. I guess I just don't understand how on earth I could be in this good of ketosis and this low carb but still no [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss[/url] after almost 7 months... <sigh> I could understand if I were closer to my normal weight - but I'm nowhere near it.

This past weekend (family reunion). It was VERY HARD - but I for real did not eat even ONE BITE that I wasn't "supposed to" - not ONE. I watched everyone else eat all the goodies, but I found foods for ME.  There were some awesome garlic-marinated cheese slices, burgers (I had no bun), sausages, etc., that made it work. Friday night, though, they were having spaghetti so Gorden and I picked up cobb salads and ate our own food that night. Now mind you - spaghetti is one of my absolute favorites - so this was NOT easy.
But all weekend I kept thinking that maybe I'd get a breakthrough in this weight plateau I'd been on. I don't know what is going on but it HAS to be something medical because it is NOT my eating this time.
Anyway - I was feeling SO happy and FREE that I'd made it the weekend with such a victory - my husband even said he was PROUD of me (and I do NOT hear that very often from anyone -  But the scale showed a 3 LB GAIN. Then another 2-lb GAIN today.  I can't stop tearing up. I feel SO very frustrated. Like there is just NO WAY OUT of this. There is NOTHING I can do that I'm not doing already. But NOTHING is changing for me.
And what's making it even harder is that I was hobbling around on my knees up there and Saturday I missed most of the gathering because I could barely WALK after the little bit I'd walked on Friday and Saturday morning. I was in SO MUCH PAIN and just in tears from it. And I kept thinking well this weekend should be a good start to me getting into the 240's and closer to the 230's so I can get my surgery. But no... Not even that happened for me. I get one health issue under control and 3 more flare up. And all along - the dang WEIGHT is there taunting me. I know I'm only reaping what *I* sowed all those years of overeating. But if there's nothing I can do to CHANGE it any more - what's the point? I just feel like I'm trapped and there's no way out...

Any help greatly appreciated...

- Jacki
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 05:38:20 AM by jackibar »
Join our [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss Forum[/url] Community Today!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: SO Distraught and Frustrated
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 12:07:33 PM »
Hi, Jacki! :)

Making small adjustments in our daily eating patterns can yield big results.
And as we lose, we need less food to support our bodies.

So the first question you should ask yourself is;
      "Am I eating more than my body needs?".
If you are, you will get stuck.

Try Doug's 15-minute hunger test to let your body tell you what it needs.
http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=5286.msg55552#msg55552

Let us know how it goes.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

jackibar

• View Profile
    • Gorden and Jacki's Place
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 12:08:31 PM »
Thank you, Tony... I will do that.
Join our [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss Forum[/url] Community Today!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 12:05:39 PM »
Hi Jak, Tony said it all!  8) You'll be OK, a food journal helps.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)