Author Topic: OFF THE WAGON  (Read 13135 times)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: OFF THE WAGON
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2014, 10:11:24 AM »
Thats right Rennard! ;)

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 12:55:35 AM »
HI everyone.   I fell off the wagon then laid on the road and let all the wagons roll over me for a while.   Started seeing a counselor for work  stress and she was on vacation this week.  So I started having panic attacks and had one at work on friday which is not good.   Have been sugar bingeing for last three weeks the most of it was while working.  

It started out thinking I could eat "normal" but it wasnt too long before I was diving into Sugarland again.  

I kept eating all this sugar and restaurant meals thinking "this is the  LAST time I will eat this before going back to low carb."  ........sort of like an alcoholic thinking they're having their last drink........ Then after 3 weeks of bingeing I realized 4 things:  

1.  Because I was bingeing any time I wasn't asleep, the bingeing and overeating was no longer working as a coping or self-comforting mechanism.  Therefore, that's why stress levels went up to panic attack level.  (And the job is very stressful).

2.  Then I realized my panic attacks were more about the stress I was putting myself through with the out of control sugar bingeing.  Because I was out of control the world seemed out of control.  

3.  Then Saturday night realized I was only fooling myself that I was eating a bad meal "for the last time."  

4.  Thought about giving up sugar, flour, etc again and started low carb again sunday morning when I got up.  

Sooooooooo I just finished Day 2 without the white stuff and this sugar detox isnt going to be fun but I'll hang in there  

I hope yiu are all doing well  

Welcome back Shawn.  
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 01:23:28 AM by Elizabeth779 »

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 12:53:11 PM »
Hi, Elizabeth! :)

Sorry to hear about your slip up.

It's true that most of us here are carboholics.
For alcoholics, one drink is too many and a thousand are not enough.
We are the same way with carbs (sugar).

We cannot fool ourselves into thinking that "some sugar is OK today. I'll restart tomorrow".
By doing that, the "tomorrow" we expect usually won't come along for quite a while.

Sugar detox is no fun.
And every time we go thru it, it seems we lose a bit slower afterword.
For me (being s slow loser already), that's more than enough motivation to "stay clean" of carbs.

The next time you start feeling like you're going to slip, please talk to us first.
We're here to help you... You're going to do fine! :) :) :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 01:29:45 AM »
Hi Tony, and thank you for your kind words.  Well, I liked both responses I was typing, but the typo gremlins were not cooperating and I hit some wrong button and the reply posts went "poof".....so I'll try again tomorrow. 

But it's day 3....and I'm looking forward to Day 4....each day gets me closer to the end of detox. 

And Tony, told counselor today "it's not about the weight -- even though it's not a good thing to way 299 -- but it's the lack of control."  I would gladly stay 299 if I could just stop the battle with sugar, it's taking all my energy....

Oh time to sleep, took a muscle relaxer for TMJ.....oh, and counselor and med doc are taking me off work.....

Hope everyone is having a good sleep...nite all.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 11:06:43 AM »
Hi, Elizabeth! :)

Just take it one day, one hour, and one minute at a time.

Live each moment to its fullest.
And when one comes along to chose, remember that the next moment will be different.
So choose wisely and more of life's moments will be pleasurable.

You're gonna do great! :) :) :)
Remind yourself everyday of that.

Tony

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 10:53:15 AM »
Hi Liz! All will be well ;)

Happy2bthin4me

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 07:20:57 PM »
I've spent so much time on the ground looking up the wagon lately that I'm surprised I haven't gained a bunch of weight. At least at some point in my twisted brain I think I thought at least if I'm going to fall off I should watch my portions of the carbage....haha. Perhaps that's helped mitigate some of my troubles but sometimes all that does is push me further off the wagon, into a ditch per say, where I can justify just about anything. Ugh. I don't know about you guys but for me that ditch is pretty deep. However, I'm working my way out of it. I know I need to forgive myself and some of my weakness to certain foods and such but I am trying to really get back on that wagon and stay there. Falling hurts! I also know deep down, my life really depends on it. So here I am!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 09:16:08 AM »
Welcome  back Happy2bthin4me !You know what to do! The forum is very important in maintaining and losing weight.Surrounding yourself with people that are in the same wagon or that think the same way is very important.You can do this and we are gonna help :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 12:51:33 PM »
Welcome home, Michelle!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

The first thing you must do is let go of the guilt about the past.

As you recall, we carboholics are very much like alcoholics.
When we fall off the wagon, the last thing we should do is condemn ourselves.
Condemnation leads to guilt, which leads to discouragement, which brings on emotional pain,
all will keep us in "the ditch".

Falling off the wagon does hurt. It's very disappointing.
But what's more important than falling is what we do with the hurt... Let it go, now!

Each day we're alive, we have choices to make. Yesterday's bad decisions cannot be changed.
So to succeed tomorrow, we must focus on the decisions we make today.

You've made the right decision coming back home to FTS.
Just renew the commitment to yourself that you will not let slips hold you back... EVER!
But you will focus on how to succeed. By doing that, success WILL follow!

We're right here with you all the way, Michelle! :) :) :)
And we'll continue to help you reach your health goals.
So enjoy each new day life brings, count your blessings, and look forward to a healthier life!

Tony

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 01:32:06 PM »
Hi, Alicia! :)

If you used to look forward to a "break" from your FTS eating and a chance to enjoy the foods and drinks I'd been missing, tells me you haven't been taking advantage of the TONS and TONS of wonderful REPLACEMENT recipes we enjoy.

This is one of the main reasons FTS works so well.
We will NOT do well for long missing good food and beverages... That's why diets fail!

So please take some time and research the recipes we have here and in the FTS cookbooks.
If you don't like cooking or are pressed for time, make double or triple recipes and freeze the leftovers.

Where there is a will, there is a way.
And with FTS, it takes much less will due to all the great food we enjoy! ;D ;D ;D

Tony

Happy2bthin4me

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 01:34:53 PM »
Umpa, thank you! Yes I definitely do know what to do. I love the perfect simplicity of it for sure! :-) Now to deal with some detox. Fun times! ;-)

Tony, thank you so much for the kind, welcoming words. You are so right about not condemning. I'm trying to use my falling as a learning experience and just get right back to business! I haven't been really really far off but I've definitely let too many carbs back into my daily intake. I just remember though how much better I feel when I eat right! My mind is clearer my energy is more stable and I don't get that need to nap so much around 3 o'clock everyday. I'm so excited to get back to cooking. I've been eyeing all my favorite recipes and a few new ones I want to try! Yay!!!! Love it!

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2014, 04:03:29 AM »
Hi alicia,  michelle and tony, umoa too and anyone i missed.  You are right we are all on this journey together.  Im still haning in on my first week ofdetox.  Going over to monterey this weekendbut pkan to stay on course.  Lucky me I have had a 10-pound whoosh this week.  Its been helpful to read everyone ' s positive comments.  Illchk in when I get bsck  also plz ignore typos etc .  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:05:32 AM by Elizabeth779 »

Happy2bthin4me

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2014, 11:48:08 AM »
Wow 10 lbs! Awesome! Congrats and I hope your trip goes well! :-) Stay strong!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
Congrats Elizabeth!! ;D

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2014, 01:33:42 AM »
Jumping back on the wagon here.  Though I wish people wouldn't roll there eyes when I leave the white bread behind or not have a biscuit/cake or potato or anything else I don't want.

I went to visit a friend and stayed over.  She is a toast and tea person for breakfast (well actually all she eats is carbs), I opted for an cheese omelet.  When I got up in the morning she had put out the pan, egg, cheese - which was good of her but it felt like it was inconveniencing her, especially when dinner came around and she said she didn't have any food that I eat. ?????
She's been around since I've been eating low carb and she still seems to make an issue of it.  I said I  could always get a burger and ditch the bun - not a problem.  PS - I had brought some of my own food.  Some roast chicken and salad stuff; which I had had for lunch and dinner the previous day.

Is it us or the people around us that have the problem?  I'm beginning to wonder.  Truly.  I've been accused of being 'fussy' when I leave stuff on my plate or not order something at a restaurant/cafe because they don't serve anything I want to eat.  If I am happy with a coffee/cream (and a snack if I bring one), why aren't they.  Why don't they worry what is on their plate and not mine?