Author Topic: At a loss  (Read 17004 times)

jtdisme

• View Profile
At a loss
« on: March 08, 2014, 12:55:16 PM »
I started this way of eating March 6,2011. I lost 110 pounds in nine months. The unfortunate thing is, I still had about 80 lbs left to lose. Fast forward to March 6, 2014...I have been at a stand sill for well over a year, and as a matter of fact, I have gained back 30lbs. I am very down and I do not know what to do. I cannot figure out why this no longer works for me, nor do I know how to get the scale moving back in the right direction. Anyone else get have a similar situation? Can anyone give me advice and encouragement? I am eating good and exercising more than I have the entire time I have been eating low carb. Everyone one at work always tells me they cannot believe my will power to pass up ALL the very high carb foods that are in the lounge (I am a teacher). I just think to myself...WHY? Anyway, I am just feeling incredibly down and thought maybe someone can help. How can I eliminate all carbs and still get enough fiber? I'm sure there is a solution, I just do not know it yet.

Thanks so much,
Julie

Shoelace

Re: At a loss
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 10:54:21 PM »
I haven't tried this, but some people who are low carbing and get stalled, do a 3 to 5 day 'fat fast', which supposedly kick starts them into losing weight again.  It requires consuming only 1,000 calories per day, 900 calories from fat and 100 calories from other food sources. You must eat between four and five mini meals throughout the day.  You can eat four 250 calorie meals or five 200 calorie meals.  You can't stay on it longer than 5 days because it does not contain enough protein, so longer than 5 days would be unhealthy.

If you decide to try it, you can Google for more information.  I'm not advising you to do this, just throwing it out there.  I'm curious to know what Doug thinks about fat fasts.

The main thing is not to give up, I'm sure some of our members will be along to give you some good advice.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 01:14:18 PM »
Hello, Julie! :)

I can understand your frustration.
But there is a reason why your not progressing.
And we'll do what we can to help you figure out why.

So first, please post your daily meal plans on our forum at;
http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?board=32.0

Please be sure to include EVERYTHING that passes your lips, including water and ALL condiments.
Also, be sure to show accurate amounts as well.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 02:30:21 PM »
Tony is correct.Also lack of sleep and not enough water will cause you issues.The biggest things people miss is splenda and condiments.They add up quick. Congrats on the weight loss! ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 08:37:58 AM »
I agree Julie with Tony Julie, lets take a good look at your intake. Do you consume alcohol? That's the KILLER for me, when I drink wine BAM the weight comes on.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

jtdisme

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 08:46:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies and advice!

Shoelace, thank you for your tips. I am really afraid to try any other type of weight loss strategy, since Doug's book is the only tool I have been able to use to lose weight.

Tony, I will post my daily intake this Saturday. Time isn't on my side right now due my very busy schedule at work.

Umpa, you may have hit the nail on the head with the lack of sleep and condiments comment. I do not sleep enough, and I have realized I add too much ranch to my salads. I have found a tasty salad dressing called Greek Salad Dressing made by Kroger. It has zero carbs.

Doug, I do not drink very much alcohol. When I do, which is rare, I drink Vanilla Vodka with a diet coke. I do know I have been eating too many peanuts. Nuts, for a lack of a better way of putting this, keeps me regular. Otherwise, I really struggle with getting enough fiber and not eating too many carbs. For the past three days, I have been adding Miralax to a glass of water to see if it helps. I am doing this instead of eating peanuts.

I do want to say thank you for writing your book. NOTHING else, besides phin-phin has helped me lose a substantial amount of weight. I really, really want to get to a healthy weight.

Take care,
Julie

Shoelace

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 10:55:24 PM »
Shoelace, thank you for your tips. I am really afraid to try any other type of weight loss strategy, since Doug's book is the only tool I have been able to use to lose weigh.

Don't blame you.  I've been stalled for 2 years and don't plan to try it, either.   ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 09:23:18 AM »
All will be well ;) We got your back

juvee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 07:14:29 PM »
Hi there,

I can't see why a fat fast would not be worth a try.  After all, it's still low carb.  It's not like you'd be eating high carb/sugary foods.

I believe Dana Carpender recommend this as a way to kickstart things after a stall.

Hope you find something that works after all your hard work.

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 04:41:31 AM »
Hi Julie -- wanted to post that I know what you mean about being very busy, not getting enough sleep, not enough water, too many carbs......all that adds up to feeling very "down".....hope you're doing well.  The posting the food will help.  The gang counted my carbs in condiments about a year ago, and it was SHOCKING how many that added up to be....

hang in there!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 07:54:38 AM »
20 pounds down is great Elizabeth! ;)

rennard

• View Profile
    • search marketing agency London
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 01:00:08 AM »
I can relate somehow in your situation. I have been through that situation long ago. I managed to lose weight when I started to eat more fiber, low protein and no carbs at all with exercise. I lost 35 pounds in three months.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 10:08:40 AM »
Thats great Rennard ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »
Sometimes, just changing how we eat for a short time can speed up progress.
A "fat fast" can jar the metabolism out of a plateau and get progress moving.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 04:12:01 AM »
Hi Julie, how is it going?  Check in with us and let us know how you're doing.