Author Topic: Maria Mind Body and Healthbread-Toosweets Find -My new favorite bread!!  (Read 8714 times)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Toosweet found this recipe and I cooked it today and it is wonderful and filling.The bread is light,fluffy and airy.I used almond flour.Next time I will try coconut.These are about the size of baseballs.

“HEALTHIFIED” SUB (June 2013 update!)
1 1/2 cup blanched almond flour (5 oz) (or 1/2 cup coconut flour or 2.5 oz)
5 TBS psyllium husk powder (no substitutes) (45 grams) (must be a fine powder, not whole husks)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
2 1/2 TBS apple cider vinegar (1 oz)
3 egg whites (6 egg whites if using coconut flour) (about 3.5 oz for almond flour option, 7 oz for coconut flour)
7/8 cup (a little less than a cup) BOILING water (or MARINARA – for more Tomato Basil Bread!) (7 oz)

OPTION:  Use 2 whole eggs (Almond flour version) or 4 whole eggs (coconut flour version).  If you are having trouble with it rising using whole eggs you can try egg whites.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, psyllium powder (no substitutes: flaxseed meal won’t work), baking powder and salt. Mix until dry ingredients are well combined.  Add in the eggs and vinegar and mix until a thick dough. Add boiling water or marinara into the bowl. Mix until well combined and dough firms up.

Form into 4 to 5 mini subs (the dough will rise about 2 to 3 times so I start mine as a 1 inch disk, see picture below) or one large sub/loaf and place onto a greased baking sheet. Bake for 55 minutes (45-50 minutes for smaller shapes like buns). Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely. Cut open with a serrated knife. Fill with desired fillings. Makes 5 servings.

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Maria Mind Body and Healthbread-Toosweets Find -My new favorite bread!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 09:09:55 PM »
I am a  huge fan of Maria's blog!  I will have to make this tomorrow ~ Thanks for sharing  :)

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 11:19:46 PM »
Actually EstherFromAfrica posted the recipe without a link to the original author.  I was just wanting to make sure that Maria received the credit she deserved.  I really love many of her recipes...like Kim I'm a huge fan  ;D ;D  Here is the post once again so others can see where it came from.   http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/toasted-sub-sandwich-and-panini/

I really can't wait to try it  :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 05:33:28 PM »
Just made the coconut flour bread hated it . It  was doughy and pasty.In all fairness we are at 4000 ft elevation but I didnt have any issue with this recipe with the almond flour. :)

NoellBlue1

• Happy to be alive :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:12:42 PM »
This recipe sounds great!  Yummers!  :)
Wishing you love, joy, peace, light, and laughter for every moment in your life;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 11:52:38 PM »
Thanks for making it Umpa, I will definately use almond flour.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 09:33:12 AM »
By the way,  Bambam Yorkie got in the trash last night and he will eat anything,he wouldnt even eat the coconut bread :D