Author Topic: TooSweets quest for un-sweetness  (Read 44736 times)

shawn116

Re: TooSweets quest for un-sweetness
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 11:53:35 AM »
Sorry I haven't posted here in a couple of days it's been a bit busy  :-\

I've been doing well with this challenge so far  ;D

Day 5

8:00 am coffee

11:00 am
1/2 Joseph's pita with scrambled egg, bacon and cheddar cheese = 3 net carbs
coffee

Went to Wild wings again for dinner
6 wings  = 0 carb
side salad = 3 net carbs
blue cheese dressing = 2 net carbs
celery sticks  = 1.5 net carbs

Water all day  ;D

Day 6

6:30 am Coffee x2

1:30 am
1/2 Joseph's pita with ham, lettuce, mayo and bacon = 2 net carbs
pork rinds with sour cream and onion dip = 2 net carbs

5:30 pm out to eat with family
Hamburger steak = 0 net carbs
sauteed mushrooms = 2 net carbs
steamed broccoli = 2 net carbs
small salad = 3 net carbs
I have to admit that I caved last night and had a serving of my coconut milk ice cream  :'(  = 5 net carbs  I have to admit I made it longer than I thought I would...haha  Even though I caved in to a craving I think I made a good choice.  I don't seem to be craving anything today.   Yea me  ;D

I think this challenge has taught me a great deal...mostly that the need for something sweet is basically just a habit.  I'm glad I'm getting control over it.  Just to let you know I am going to have to go out of town on a trip so unfortunately I will be way too busy to post my meals everyday if any.  I will however report back how I do.  I'm having a hard time thinking of myself driving down the road without some gum or hard candies but I will give it a go.  I don't want to over indulge on nuts...I can eat those way to much without thinking about how many I have had.  Trying to come up with other ideas to keep me from going crazy in the car.  Maybe chewing on ice?  Haha  Of course the usual pork rinds, beef sticks, measured nuts etc....  anyone have any other ideas? 

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »
Shawn, since me, as a vegetarian, everything I eat has carbs, almost...when I go on a trip I make baggies with a couple pickles, or pickled asparagus, some green olives, two cheese sticks, a couple hard boiled eggs, cheese cubes...etc. any of those would work as snack and they do fine even if they aren't refrigerated for a couple hours as long as they are in a little brown baggie or lunch box that is insulated and the car is cool. Maybe that will work for you?
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2013, 05:08:36 PM »
Hi, Shawn! :)

That's something else we learn about ourselves, thanks to FTS.
Given enough time, habits can become compulsions and even addictions.

Like you, I'm also a creature of habit.
The nice part about it is that once a habit is changed, it tends to "stay" changed! ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2013, 08:41:53 PM »
The nice part about it is that once a habit is changed, it tends to "stay" changed!

I agree Tony.  I'm feeling pretty good now and don't feel like I have to have something sweet all the time like before.  I think I will always prefer sweet over salty though   ;D ;D

Thanks for the suggestions Taby  :)  I usually carry a cooler in the car with me so that won't be a problem keeping things cool.  I definitely plan on taking cut up veggies to munch on along with other finger friendly foods.  Sometimes when I'm driving for long hours like I will be soon, I tend to want to have gum or hard candy.   :-\  Maybe it won't be as bad as I think it will be  HA  Back in the day when I was a young chick....I could drive it in 1 day.   ::)   Any more I have to make it a two day trip and stop for the night.  I don't know if it's because I'm getting older or just wiser  ;) ;) 

shawn116

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2013, 08:57:54 PM »
Day 7  I'm a lucky girl today...I got to eat out again and twice today  ;D ;D 

9:00 am coffee

11:30 am
Ordered steak burrito hold the tortilla, rice and beans (so steak slices with a little grilled onion and white cheese sauce)  = 5 net carbs (guessing)
They always give me extra salad with sour cream and salsa on the side  = 3 net carbs
water to drink

6:30 pm

Wings again  :P :P  different place though  (Haha) I'm totally over the wings for a while now  :P
Ranch dressing =  2 net carbs
side salad = 5 net carbs
water to drink

All in all a pretty good Fat to Skinny day without the sweets  ;D ;D

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2013, 10:35:34 PM »
TooSweet do you find you go through stages of food?  Like all you want/crave is say 'chicken wings' and you can eat them for days on end and then it's like 'ok, over it' or ice-cream, etc?  I had a run on 'pizza' (low carb of course) done various ways for ages and now - eh, over it.  Wonder what it is that makes us do that? - too lazy to make anything else or it fills a need in us in some way?

For your trip, how about a sugarfree lollypop.  It will help with the oral fixation and takes ages to get through.  A thermos of hot soup/stock/hot drink or a wrap with your favourite filling.  Pulling over on the side of the road to have a snack will also fill you a bit more than trying to eat while driving.  I usually have a bottle of water sitting on the console and slurp while I drive - that causes it's own problem with having to find a 'pee' station.

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2013, 10:58:08 PM »
TooSweet if you got an organic no sugar gum that might help...but hard to find. Morgan...although you asked TooSweet...I SO do that...some days I'll feel totally fine spending my carbs on pudding and ice cream LOL other days...I want hot baked salty food! :P
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

shawn116

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2013, 12:04:24 AM »
that causes it's own problem with having to find a 'pee' station

That breaks up the monotony of driving ...HA!   ;D ;D  Trust me it's a long way there...LOL  I've gotten my ipod straight with new music and a few recorded books.  With all that entertainment I should be squared away.  You are so right...I think I could eat wings 3 to 4 days out of the week and not get tired of them, but in a row is a bit much for even me...Haha  I know what you mean though...I'm a creature of habit with many things and I do go through the phases.  I am totally over the wings at least until next week   ;D ;D

Thanks ladies for the suggestions.   

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2013, 03:10:49 AM »
Hey Shawn...the last suggestion I had for you is maybe bringing a couple pieces of crystallized ginger...it's a little spicy, but hard and rock shaped, pretty low in carbs in small portion (about the size of a small hard candy) and isn't sweet...it might help you get through the hard candy craving on the road trip. You may not like ginger, I don't know...but just thought I'd throw that out there :)

shawn116

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2013, 08:49:07 AM »
Thanks Taby   :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2013, 10:05:27 AM »
Toosweet I like appetizers in the car.I don't know what it is but I get in the car and i have to eat! :D I think its like you said its just a habit or maybe just boredom. ;) I like deviled eggs,celery filled with cream cheese(or just celery with ranch),prosciutto  roll ups, beef jerky, and nuts in the shell.Where are you going on vacation? :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2013, 10:10:23 AM »
Hi Shawn....check your email  ::)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2013, 11:34:54 AM »
Doug I recognize sweet when I see it and you my friend are definitely it!!  Thank you so much  ;D  I'll load it on my iPod today  ;)

Umpa I'm headed to Kansas to help my momma out for a bit.  She is moving and you know how that is....you need all hands on deck  Haha   

I'm thinking about making some hamburger jerky for the trip.  I saw a easy recipe in the web for that.  With all the suggestions I don't think I'll be needing to stop for food   :D :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2013, 02:02:40 PM »
Hi, Shawn! :)

When traveling, a cooler with low carb snacks is a must!
It's amazing how foods like string cheese will make the trip more pleasant.

I hope you have a good journey and that your mom's move goes smoothly! :) :) :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2013, 03:41:17 PM »
Thanks Tony  I sure hope it does too   ;D  I don't know anyone who likes to move  :-\    I've got my old trusty cooler at the ready  ;)