Author Topic: Something Empowering About Saying "NO" To The Pushers!  (Read 5187 times)

Snobles

• Eat to live, not live to eat!
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanics Wife
    • Email
Something Empowering About Saying "NO" To The Pushers!
« on: June 21, 2013, 11:38:58 AM »
Hi guys! I don't know about y'all, but there is something to saying "NO" to the pushers! ;D Omg! Such a wonderful feeling! As you guys know, we are currently staying with the mother n law, and it has been such an uphill battle when it comes to food!(among other battles, but I shall not bother you with that!:-) I think it had to do with getting a pretty big, mini fridge in our room, to finally get the will power to say no to the mil! She told me today that she had some stuff made, and I just said oh, okay, and walked right out, and opened the fridge in our room, and got out baby carrots, and celery sticks that I made up yesterday. It's weird, because I feel good after telling her no to the foods I used to love eating. I am trying really hard this time, and I promise I am not going to break. I don't know where the will power came from! Just hit me all of a sudden. I'm tired of being a people pleaser. I want to please myself, my kids and my husband by living a long life. Not by killing myself slowly by what someone else cooks! ;D

shawn116

Re: Something Empowering About Saying "NO" To The Pushers!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 09:13:35 PM »
You go girl  ;D ;D ;D   Just stick to your guns and one foot in front of the other..... Loving and taking care of yourself is the best thing you can do for your family   ;)   

Careful of those carrots though girl....they are a bit high in carbs  :)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 02:45:15 AM »
You've come a long way since you moved in with the MIL and having her push her food on you. Well done.  That fridge was a good idea.  Has she changed her ways at all, even a tiny bit?

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 08:02:53 AM »
Good for you Steph, the mini fridge is a wonderful idea....trade in the carrots for cukes, radishes, broccoli, cauli, fresh green beans ( I love them raw) and other low carb veggies listed in the  book.  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 08:07:17 AM »
YOU CAN DO THIS MY FRIEND! ;) But unless you are a bunny put down the carrots :D

Snobles

• View Profile
    • The Mechanics Wife
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »
@Morgan: Not even a single tiny bit!  ;D But that's okay. I've decided (along with y'alls help!)that I'm not going to let her or anyone else control how I eat. Like Doug said, just because she makes it, doesn't mean I have to eat it! Every time she cooks, for some reason, when I walk into the kitchen, those words ring in my head!  ;D I usually just eat the meat, and if I'm still hungry later, I go to our fridge.
And y'all are no fun! Carrots are my favorite! But I was kinda starting to feel like a rabbit! I love cucumbers, etc...So I will trade them in! Even just the little short while, I've been on FtS for a second go around, I have seen two or three pounds off! So that makes it even better for motivation. Yes, she still cooks the same way, and yes, she still brings sweets in the house. And no, I do not eat them. Once I broke the habit, it's not so hard to stay the course, all they do is sit there and go bad! But she continues to buy them week after week. My husband and I think she does it on purpose, because she got that lapban to loose all of her weight, even though she still eats the sweets and throws them back up! And let me tell you, that is not a site you want to see while you are eating dinner! (just sayin!) Hope everyone is having a great weekend!!
Love y'all!!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 02:15:23 PM »
We love you and are so proud of you, Stephanie! :) :) :) :) :)

When you exercise the "say no" muscle, it gets a little stronger.
Before long, MIL won't even phase you!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Happy2bthin4me

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 11:37:12 PM »
The longer I'm off sugar the more willpower I have and I think part of it is getting rid of that physical craving, need, etc. that's sends me down the wrong path of justifying bad food choices. I think you're to the point where you're not fighting cravings and its all me tal now and for some reason it's much easier I think at that point but its amazing how people still try to make you eat "their way". I can't believe the stunts people pull. Misery loves company! Just remember that! Lol. You don't want to be miserable! It's not worth it to give in and try to "keep the peace". Some things are just that important. I am faced with a spouse that fights me on it nearly everyday! It's hard and I backslid a lot but no more!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 08:24:35 AM »
Stef can take her I have seen her do it before! She is tough! :D

Snobles

• View Profile
    • The Mechanics Wife
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 11:22:39 AM »
@umpa, you're way to kind!  ;D and I'm not about to let one little old lady stand in my way!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 09:38:05 AM »
 :D :D :D You go girl!!!!

Happy2bthin4me

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 02:19:05 PM »
Lol. Sounds like she's got the ball rolling just fine! ;-) She's a woman with a plan and that's most of the battle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 10:00:29 AM »
Oh yeah! She drives a school bus for a living and she hasn't gone postal yet! :D She can take her!

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 04:16:05 AM »
Hi Stephanie -- well if you drive a school bus in my opinion you have to be a SAINT! 

I agree with you -- I can't stand people pushing food on me either.  I've learned the hard way that if I start trying to explain to them why I can't eat the food they're offering that for some reason that doesn't help me.  I have some food pushers at work, and the worst ones are two gals who say they are on low carb.  They offer me bread, soup with stuff in it I can't have, they offer their home made ricotta etc....one of them will even say to me "WE" can have that on low carb" meaning.....us three low carbers....so I've learned to say, "No thank you," politely, and with the nice voice.....then the second time I say "no thank you" with a little firmer voice, and then the third time they get the "no thank you" voice that keeps them from offering a fourth time. 

I so agree with you that being a people please gets old.  Because I'm "nice" and "sweet" with people, sometimes they just try to take advantage of that.  And I so agree with whoever above said (maybe it was toosweet) that misery loves company or sometimes people are just jealous that you are in control of a problem that really is a monkey on their own back. 

About the MIL with the lapband....so many people where I work had the weight loss surgery years ago, and one by one, they came to me telling me how I should have it too, and brought paperwork for me to read, and so many of them have gained it all back because they did not change their eating habits.....I'm thinking if your MIL is eating bad stuff and then throwing up, she's feeling scared because she knows that is so unhealthy, and she probably feels out of control......and I'm thinking that may somewhat behind what she is doing, but it's so good you're not giving in....I have given in before way too many times, then it gets me off track and sometimes it was months and years before I could even get up the nerve to work on weight loss again.

This time it's for US!!!!  We are STRONG mighty FTS women!!

Also, if you're living with your MIL.....you're REALLY a saint in my book!  hahahaha

hang in there gal and keep posting...vent vent vent!!  we're here for you!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 08:29:07 AM »
My kids always tell me how kind and sweet I am.I tell them don't mistake kindness for weakness :D