Author Topic: What I ate today :D  (Read 50800 times)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
Re: What I ate today :D
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »
So, after a lot of talking with my doctor and his nurse, I've decided to go back vegan. I was vegetarian for the last 9 months because during the pregnancy I craved cheese...before that I had been vegan for almost 3 years, and before that vegetarian for 13 years. Being a vegetarian is tolling on my health and kidneys. Turns out, like tea, tofu, dairy products (milk and cheese namely) are high oxalate foods and is stressing out my kidney. When I donated my kidney I was a vegan. Tofu is also a high oxalate food...with all that at mind, this means going low carb is extremely difficult, but doable. I'll have to use every creative bone in my body to make it work LOL but I can make it work. I've been vegan two days so far and already starting to see a difference in my digestive issues and health in general. Please keep me in your prayers and I'll keep everyone updated! I've dropped a few more pounds and am down to 231 right now...can't wait to hit the 220s!!! :D
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 24, 2013, 12:12:47 PM »
Kudos on your progress, Taby! :) :) :) :) :)

If eating vegan works for you and your health, then by all means, do it.
Since you have a high sensitivity to oxalate consumption, you must be careful.
Some folks develop kidney stones from them. Others, like you, even greater problems.

Getting healthy is was FTS is all about!
Whatever it takes for you to be healthier, must take priority.

Your FTS journey will be more challenging than most others'... But it's still doable.
And we'll be right here to help you in any way we can. :) :) :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 24, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »
Yup Tony...it is harder :) the first time I did FTS, I was vegan and successful! It was hard but like you said, doable...just gotta think outside the box...or outside the dairy ;) tonight I'm making a low-carb, vegan cauliflower pizza with olives, bell pepper, spinach, and Rao's marinara ;) SOOO excited! BTW...ya'll should try Frostie's diet Rootbeer...it's AMAZING ;) it comes in a glass bottle and it's so good...in moderation of course ;)
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2013, 03:37:30 AM »
Hi Taby -- good luck with the vegan -- the pizza sounds yummmmmm.  I love veggie pizza even though I'm a carnivore. 

Happy2bthin4me

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2013, 03:34:21 PM »
Hi, Michelle! :)

You're so right that no two of us are alike.
We must adjust what we eat and drink to fit our individual requirements.
And we can have too much of any good thing. What's "too much" depends on the individual.

Do you exercise at all?
Sedentary lifestyles create problems for our bodies. In some, fluid retention may be one.
I walk 5 miles every morning before sunrise. And find it invigorating.
I also drink between 64 to 80 ounces of plain water every day (sometimes more).

Tony

Hi Tony, I walk a mile or two each work day as part of my job and I used to run two miles everyday too but it has never helped my swelling if that helps give background on the issue. I have run marathons and several halfs, 10k, 5ks, etc (I started running in 2007). and my fluid balance has always been an issue. :( my ankles are usually much puffier when I finish a run, gravity really does do bad things for my body. I have scaled back on my running the last few weeks and besides a little less energy than usual, the walking I'm doing is still helping me feel much better. Of course it's been hard to gauge but so fat the only thing helping has been the fluid limitation. :( It's really strange that I have to do that. I may get another test based on my observations of my body's reactions to this method. I also used to get a-fib whenever I had sugar so watching that has been a huge help to those symptoms. It's terrible though that the drs here are so inept. :( I miss the great care I used to get in CA at Kaiser. Oh well.

Doug, that is interesting. I still wonder if I have problems with my heart. I've had a-fib since my third pregnancy. That child just turned 18 and I'd never had it before my pregnancies. Having babies has just been hard on my body, I had 3 children in 3 years. That started all of this for me. It doesn't seem like something I can fix. :(

Happy2bthin4me

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2013, 03:37:24 PM »
Yup Tony...it is harder :) the first time I did FTS, I was vegan and successful! It was hard but like you said, doable...just gotta think outside the box...or outside the dairy ;) tonight I'm making a low-carb, vegan cauliflower pizza with olives, bell pepper, spinach, and Rao's marinara ;) SOOO excited! BTW...ya'll should try Frostie's diet Rootbeer...it's AMAZING ;) it comes in a glass bottle and it's so good...in moderation of course ;)
Wow, now I really want to see what you eat! Admirable that you can do it! :) You know what works for you and it's great you're doing it.

Keep us posted on your progress! :)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2013, 04:03:54 PM »
Thanks!!! I did the cauli pizza with peppers, spinach, basil, and olives :) it was wonderful. I am down two more pounds today. I know what you mean about having babies being hard on your body. I never have been one of those women who can pop em out and snap back into the old body  >:( but I get closer everyday ;) it's a struggle, no lie, but I feel soooo much better. Today on the menu is squash and zucchini with petite diced tomatoes, lemon juice, and seasonings :D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2013, 05:39:39 PM »
I think this is the coolest part about FTS. Your rules are very simple.......keep those net carbs to 20 or below. That rule can work for any culture around the world, whether they be vegetarian, vegan, meat eaters or other. Somewhere within there chosen ingredient list they can find there way!  ::) ::) 
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2013, 07:28:59 PM »
Very much so...it's a greater challenge, but to feel better and be healthier is worth the hassle.

Happy2bthin4me

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2013, 12:57:46 AM »
My Dad has congestive heart failure and the doc limits him to 2 quarts of fluids per day...no more.
that is interesting, thank you for sharing that. I've actually found limiting my fluids harder than I thought it would be. Surprising but true. Instead of snacking I would sip water to keep myself busy but now I've discovered pumpkin seeds lol. I'm addicted! :) I can't eat the super salty ones though. Yuck. I like the Spitz brand, they're seasoned and very good. Not the best ingredients for seasoning but its so small an amount I consider it ok. It hasn't made me gain weight or gain water weight and the fiber is also beneficial. :) It says 8 grams of carbs and 8 grams of fiber. Score!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2013, 09:56:58 AM »
I like the Davids brand....always in the house and vehicle :) They are 4 net carbs for an entire pack which last me for days

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 27, 2013, 10:14:13 AM »
I have never tried pumpkin seeds :D :D :D they are vegan!!! That will give me something to nibble too!!! Thanks for sharing ya'll! And guess what else...I hit the 220s today!!! In April, after I had my daughter I was 272...now 229 ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2013, 10:22:18 AM »
congrats on the weight loss Taby ;)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 27, 2013, 03:03:34 PM »
Thanks!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2013, 01:29:37 PM »
Hi, Taby! :)

I'm so pleased that you figured out how to fit FTS into your customized vegan food regimen.

I know it has been challenging for you, at times.
But the effort is so worth it! ;D ;D ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!