Author Topic: Wonton Wrappers ?  (Read 5535 times)

gracesmom15

• Hello, Hope everyone has a wonderful day!
    • View Profile
Wonton Wrappers ?
« on: January 28, 2013, 08:08:31 PM »
 ::) :-\  Hello, new here. Got my book and on my way to a new me. I love my cousins crab wontons, they make at their sushi resturant in South Carolina! I just made my own and I don't think they are aloud on this Fat to Skinny Regime I'm doing. I ate 6 small and that's all. I would have ate more but kept in check with the signs of hunger. I feel that this is going to be a changing point for me since I've been on every diet know to man! So if there is anyone of any ideas, I would greatly appreciate them. Or someone could try and reinvent them, so they are good.! I baked mine also. Down 5 lbs since, me and my brother in law 's girlfriend started so its all good. Have a wonderful day till next post!! :)

shawn116

Re: Wonton Wrappers ?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 09:21:58 PM »
Hi Gracesmom!!  Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the 5 lbs lost!!   You were right to limit those crab won tons...I'm afraid the wrappers are the biggest problem.  They are pretty high in carbs.  I've wanted to try to make those low carb but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.  Please encourage your brother in-laws girlfriend to come on the forum as well.  It's a great tool to help you stay on track.  Lots of info, recipes and great people.   I'm from South Carolina myself....what part is your cousins restaurant in??   Please come back and post often.....I look forward to reading about your journey to the new you   ;D 

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 02:39:03 AM »
Welcome gracesmom- wow on the 5lbs.  Great start.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 05:24:08 AM »
Welcome, Gracesmom.  Congratulations on the first 5 pounds.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:17:35 AM »
Hi gracesmom15 :) Welcome to the forum.I am Umpa ,Dougs wife if I can help you please ask.Doug will post your recipe. ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 08:27:39 AM »
I can think of a few choices. Baking your crab filled wontons opens up cabbage leaves or even Romaine lettuce leaves. The flavor you love is actually the filling  so the wrapper can be a bit bland. If you want a flour based wrapper that "should" fry up OK this one should work well;

Soy Flour Wonton Wrappers

6 wrappers  

3.5 net carbs each (not including filling)

1 egg
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup soy flour
water

1- Beat egg in bowl with salt.
2- Add 1/8 cup water.
3- Mix the egg mixture with the Soy flour well, if the dough is too dry, continue to add small amounts of water until dough is able to be handled.
4- Form the dough in a ball and knead a few times.
5- Cover and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
6- Using a couple teaspoons of soy flour Lightly flour a board and roll out dough into thin sheets.
7- Cut the sheets into 3-4 inch squares.
8- Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of each wrapper.
9- Prior to folding the wrapper and sealing it dampen the edges that will contact each other with beaten egg. You can use your finger or a small brush.
10- Deep fry or bake until golden brown

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 10:08:19 AM »
These are what I wanted to try for my egg rolls.  http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/product/312660-tochigiya-hira-yuba  I'm pretty sure they would make an awesome won ton wrapper replacement too.  These folks seem to be out of them often but you will email you when they have them in stock.  I suppose they can be found else where as well but I haven't a clue where at this moment.  Oh boy.....so many things to try....Haha  I can't seem to get the time to do them all.  I almost forgot about this one though. 

Oh and these are only 1 net carb per sheet.  I can't be sure because I haven't held them in my hand but they appear to be big enough to make 4 won tons each sheet.  I'm thinking these might make a great fried burrito too...hmmmm  I need a test kitchen  Haha  ::)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 08:49:03 AM »
You are the BOMB TooSweet! ;D

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 11:48:37 PM »
welcome gracemom and you are doing well and we are happy that you are part of the community to support you. :)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »
Copied that recipe. This forum is exciting me about cooking more!

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 08:42:44 PM »
Did anyone ever try those wonton wrappers?  I want to figure out how to make fried Reuben eggrolls...

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 09:13:29 AM »
I make egg rolls out of cabbage leaves,can't fry them. I don't know if TooSweet came up with anything on wonton. ;)

shawn116

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 10:30:07 PM »
They are still out of them at the Asian market....they are supposed to notify me when they get them back in stock.  I can't seem to find them anywhere else  :(  I'm really anxious to try them....

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 08:41:49 AM »
Cool! Let me know when they are back 8)

Kim P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 08:28:41 PM »