Author Topic: Low-carbers face premature death  (Read 6090 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Low-carbers face premature death
« on: March 19, 2013, 09:11:04 PM »
hmmm

Was watching one of our current affairs programs which stated that a study has shown that low carbers
are increasing our chance of premature death by 1/3 - read on:

A new study has discovered a no carb or low carbohydrates diet is an 'extremely dangerous' way to lose weight.

According to the study, "it increases your chance of premature death by one third."

The alarming statistic casts a shadow over many controlled carbohydrate fad diets, including the Atkins, South Beach, Soup and Dukan diets.

It's a controversial topic but according to University of Canberra nutritionist, Professor Peter Williams, "these diets increase risk of heart disease."

"There's been a study just published two months ago that looked at all of the studies that have followed people for a long time on low carb diets, and they found the likelihood of dying early as 30 per cent on those on the lowest carb diets," Williams said.

"If you cut it out entirely, your body starts breaking down your body proteins to make glucose. Your brain and blood cells need glucose, they can't get anything else to make them function, and you will start starting up your heart, your muscles to reduce that glucose," said Williams.

Many famous celebrities have publicly endorsed a low or no carb diet.

Gwyneth Paltrow has banned bread, pasta and rice from her family table.

32-year-old, Lucy Liddle lost four kilograms by eliminating carbohydrates. At first, it was easy but over time, the diet became unsustainable.

"It did in a short period of time but I quickly gained it again because on the weekend, I would just binge on pastas, white pastas and breads. So over a long period of time, it didn't really work," Liddle said.

More stories from reporter Adene Cassidy

Personal trainer with Dangerously Fit, Helen Reed believes low carb diets can have a negative impact on moods and energy levels.

According to Reed, focus should be on "a balanced diet, eating the five to six small meals a day, loads of home grown or freshly grown items within the diet and cutting out all the high fat items."

Professor Williams suggests "the recommendations coming out of dietary guidelines are still the ones we should be going for, wholegrain foods, fruits and vegetables, they're the basis of healthy foods."

They go on to say you should be doing the 6 serves of carbs, low fat etc etc

au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/kick-start/article/-/16398887/low-carb-diet-warning/

What you reckon?

KFAITH

• View Profile
Re: Low-carbers face premature death
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 12:52:16 PM »
Well that always upsets me when I hear this stuff, it is like you just don't know what to do one says this is great another says this way is. I know I loose weight well when on this. I know sugar is death, I have seen so many loved ones with sugar and what it has done to them. Just today on my FB heart association posted a thing about sugar and how it is killing so many. So we just got to do  what we got to do to shed the pounds.
With God all things are possible
Rosie

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »
Hi, Morgan! :)

I reckon... It's a load of malarkey (or BS, if you prefer).
My doctor tells me that I'm FAR healthier now than I've been since I started seeing him!

And further, he not only encourages me to keep it up, but recommends FTS to his other patients battling obesity.
He only started doing this after seeing for himself what FTS has done for me.
I will take his word over a misguided nutritionist and a personal trainer any day of the week!!!

I seriously question Professor Peter Williams methodology and conclusions.
As I learned from studying the scientific and statistical methods for a number of years, improperly designed studies can easily yield the results a researcher desires.

For example, did the study include anyone that was EVER on a low carb program successful or not?
These same people have likely been on again and off again with low carb.
Doing this is not much different than going on and off any diet!... A little loss followed by more gain... like that Lucy Liddle.

And his assertion that the body will digest it's own muscle tissue is pure garbage!
On FTS, we eat copious amounts of protein. That protein we consume is used to maintain our bodies' protein structures.

And Helen Reed's false statement that;
"low carb diets can have a negative impact on moods and energy levels" is also a load for garbage!
As anyone like me whose been living the FTS lifestyle for a number of years, our energy levels and moods are WAY up from where they were before.

As the old adage goes... Don't believe EVERYTHING you read!  ;)

Tony
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:43:30 PM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 02:26:59 PM »
I agree with everything that Tony said .  If you were listening to Lucy Liddle when she was talking about why a low carb diet failed her.....she talked about binging on pasta, rice and bread on the weekends!!   :o :o :o  no wonder why she failed and couldn't get away from the cravings....she never got out of detox!!  Isn't she supposed to know better???   Haha 

It's plain and simple... sugar is big business for lots of folks....when people start realizing that, these folks that are invested stand to lose tons of millions in profits.  We are talking about the growers, manufactures of just about everything processed and yes.....drug companies that sell us cures for the damage the sugar does.  When I see things like this I am just imagining them squirming because they feel the pressure and know we are starting to get it.   I am confident we will see more of this malarkey the more people show they are on to them  ;D ;D  ;D

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 08:10:19 PM »
I have to think this article is a load of propaganda! Three years I have been on FTS and have never been healthier or happy. What was going to kill me prematurely was all the sugar that is thrown in to everything they try to sell us these days! I hate when they release these types of articles just to scare people back into buying and consuming what the masses are trying to sell us. Ugh!
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 07:48:45 AM »
Let' see what my doctor, Dr David Mulholland has to say;

Every day in my medical practice I confront obesity and its related complications. In fact these may be the biggest issues I face as a physician for they can be far reaching beyond the waistline. Even mild obesity can cause imbalances in our bodies leading to high triglyceride counts, out of control cholesterol, insulin resistance, type two diabetes and heart disease.

Obesity is an “equal opportunity” disease; it doesn’t discriminate based on race, social status, income or education.  The truth is we are all susceptible to its onslaught.  Doug Varrieur is a case in point. At the tender age of 12, Doug personified the fat kid, squeezing into size 38 jeans. By age 17 he had earned the nickname “Porky,” and by middle age Doug had developed type 2 diabetes and suffered a near-fatal heart attack.  At age 43, he made a conscious decision to make it his life's work to discover the answers to weight gain and weight loss. Luckily for us, he hit on a solution that not only changed his life but can change yours, too. Doug discovered that a single ingredient—hidden sugar—was responsible for his seemingly irreversible weight gain. After making this breakthrough, Doug lost 100 pounds, reversed his insulin resistance, and reversed his type two diabetes. Years later, he’s still trim, healthy, energized, and raring to help others make the same life-changing discovery.

The result of his seemingly never ending passion is this book. In its pages, Doug tells his own inspiring story and gives us some startling facts about the ingredient we all hate to love but simply can’t see, hidden sugar.  For instance, did you know that a medium order of fast-food french fries metabolizes into the glucose equivalent of eating about 15 teaspoons of table sugar? Or that 2 cups of raisin bran results in as much blood sugar as eating 20 teaspoons of table sugar? 

Doug has really demystified the processes that cause us to gain weight, and makes it easy to understand how to lose and then control weight,  type 2 Diabetes , and insulin resistance. His approach is so simple and clear anyone can follow his formula for success. The magic of his program is that it makes sense to everyone.

I have always thought weight loss was very difficult and required more discipline than most of us have. But after reading this book I think you will see it is really quite simple. And it’s all backed by sound, scientific evidence. As a busy family physician I have long searched for a down to earth practical guide to losing weight. This book is that guide, whether you want to lose ten ponds or 100 pounds it lays down the foundation for you and holds your hand on your journey to a healthier life. It empowers and educates you for a lifetime of healthy eating and living. For the first time in your life you will discover exactly why your weight has been a problem for you and what to do about it.

For the serial dieter who has jumped from one fad to the next, dropping pounds and clothing sizes only to watch their waistline balloon a few months later, Doug’s simple, no-nonsense approach to losing weight and keeping it off represents real hope. If you can get hidden sugar out of your life you will not only get skinny “fast and easy” you will balance your blood sugar and reclaim your health and good spirits—without sacrificing great food or spending all your time at the gym. On Doug’s eating plan you won’t go hungry or feel deprived (the usual causes for falling off the wagon). Take a look at some of the delicious recipes and meal plans at the back of the book and say good-bye to the diet-starvation blues.

You’ve taken the first step by visiting this website. I’m sure you, like many of us have tried diet after diet with little or no long term success. The fact that you’re here tells me you have the desire to make changes in your life to lose weight and better your health.  Your desire coupled with the power of this book will be the formula for your life long success.

The whole key to weight loss and a healthier you begin with unveiling the truth about the ingredients that actually create FAT.  In the pages of FAT TO SKINNY you will see clearly what those ingredients are, how to avoid them and how to replace them with healthy alternatives. 

Human nature dictates that most people simply don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care. I can attest to the caring nature of the author. If there was ever a man on a mission to help you lose weight and re-gain your health it’s this man. You will go from FAT to SKINNY and best of all you will do it with help from a friend, someone who has “been there, done that”.  Doug Varrieur is not only my patient he is also an inspiration to all he comes in contact with.  I can’t emphasize enough what a service to society Doug has done by writing this book.  I urge you to read it and follow the plan for you too can go from FAT TO SKINNY, Fast and Easy!

Dr David Mulholland MD.   Iron Duff NC
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 07:50:15 AM »
Lets see what Dr Paul Cump has to say;

Doug, You should have been a doctor!

In many ways what you’re doing now will make a bigger impact on the country’s health than anything a doctor could dream of accomplishing.

Dear Doug,

I am proud to be able to contribute in a small way to your efforts to enlighten people as to the true cause of weight gain, diabetes, high blood pressure, high-cholesterol and that thing called “metabolic syndrome”.  You should have been a doctor.  In many ways what you’re doing now will make a bigger impact on the country’s health than anything a doctor could dream of accomplishing.  I am so so pleased to have found a book that coincides with everything I have been telling my patients for years.  Now I can talk briefly with patients and hand them a book knowing that what is put forth in the text is everything I believe and transcends the stalled stale conversation of low carbs and exercise.  This is a seminal work that awakens us to what is all around us but yet invisible.  Like water to a fish we have been unable to see what has been in front of us all the time.  Water? What water I don’t see any water!  Sugar? What sugar? I don’t see any sugar! Unfortunately our bodies do see all the sugar and respond with obesity and “metabolic syndrome”.  This book is a must read for anyone interested in taking their health to the next level.   

Sincerely yours, Dr Paul Cump D.O. Johns Island SC

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 07:52:14 AM »
Lets see what Dr Graden has to say;

This review is for: FAT TO SKINNY Fast and Easy!: Eat Great, lose weight, and Lower Blood Sugar Without Exercise (Hardcover)
This is a tremendous book. Perhaps the best I have seen in almost 30 years of medical practice for helping people lose weight and overcome type II diabetes- medically sound, simple to understand, and a delight to read. Doug has an engaging style and shares insights we can all relate to. I highly recommend it to my patients.

W. Graden, MD

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 07:53:49 AM »
Lets see what Dr Eileen Wright has to say;

Dear Doug:

I read your book. Thanks, it is simple to understand and explains in simple terms why many people are over weight and how they can successfully lose their fat. The fact that it is short and to the point makes it easy for someone who is motivated to follow. Congratulations to you and your wife on your long term, successful weight management...you have profoundly improved your health and your ability to enjoy life."

Dr. Wright , Ashville, NC

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 07:54:17 AM »
Morgan are you looking for a reason to quit? I have been eating low carb for over 10 years and I am the picture of health.I am not on one medication. My personality is level .And my doctors reports are perfect. This is untrue.We have lots of doctors that buy our books and give them to their patients ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 07:57:35 AM »
Lets see what Dr Gomez has to say;

Simple, true, to the point; great help to start understanding the factors that will give us health problems (obesity, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, cancer, depresion, heart disease and many more ailments ).
I bought this book to sell at my office (at cost ) and the first shipment was sold out in a week !
I reccomend it, highly

Felipe Gomez M. D.
Family Medicine

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 08:17:54 AM »
Morgan are you looking for a reason to quit? I have been eating low carb for over 10 years and I am the picture of health.I am not on one medication. My personality is level .And my doctors reports are perfect. This is untrue.We have lots of doctors that buy our books and give them to their patients ;)
No way umpa, I don't think I could easily go back to that way  (almost a year ago).  Besides the forum  would be the first to hear if I was heading that way.  The show this was on was one of the local current affair shows we have. They sensationalise things, true, but the health professionals are the ones selling it.  I haven't had a chance to surf the net for more information as I have been flat out with life.  I have never heard that our body turns on itself if we don't have glucose.  More research needed. Maybe they just wanted to be controversial.  They are still pushing the grains/low fat angle though.  I would have thought losing weight would have added years  anyway.

Wish they wouldn't sensationalise it though, people keep ringing and saying 'did U see/hear' you need carbs.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 08:40:00 AM »
You have lost 44 pounds. Everybody is a expert and they don't want to give up bread and pasta :D I have a dear friend who I love dearly who is Italian and she weighs in about 350 and 5 ft tall.She refuses to give up the carbs.She is in a electric chair can't walk.Her ankles are blue and she is a shut in.She has to make her own clothes. I can't eat with her anymore because I can't watch her kill herself.She keeps a bread machine next to her bed cooking because she loves the smell.She is 60.Very sad.I think we know our bodies.We know whats right for us.Hang in there girlfriend ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 08:44:07 AM »
Now lets see what I have to say;

I am a heart attack survivor, a heart attack caused by sugar. My triglycerides (floating blood fat) were in the 400-500 range which caused loads of plaque to build up inside my arterial walls. This plaque is typically referred to as "hardening of the artery plaque". It truly does become hard as a rock inside the arterial walls until it eventually softens and starts to swell closing off the blood flow. In my case stress caused the plaque to expand and I ended up with a 99% blockage in m LAD (left anterior descending artery)

My doctors are some of the finest in the country and they are all associated with Mission Hospital...who is Mission?

"Mission has been named a Top 100 Heart Hospital and, for the second year in a row, is the only hospital in the Carolinas to receive the designation. This is the 6th year in a row, and the 7th time in the past eight years, that Mission has been named one of the nation's Top 100 Heart Hospitals by the Thomson (formerly Solucient) Cardiovascular Benchmarks for Success Program. Mission was named in the category of teaching hospitals without cardiovascular residency."

My doctors ALL recommend low carb eating to their patients for heart health as well as overall good health.

I for one can unequivocally state that I will live much longer eating low carb. I can also state that eating low carb has save my life. My diabetes is cured, my hypertension is cured, my blood pressure problems are gone, my blood profile is perfect. and what about those pesky Triglycerides? They come in a 60 and have for years.

Morgan I can assure you I have studied this subject tirelessly. I have devoted my life to helping people all over the globe learn the truth about why we get fat, why we get diabetes, why we get high blood pressure, why are blood profiles go so out of whack and how to reverse it all. This devotion comes from a much higher source than me. Click here to find out why- https://files.secureserver.net/3sXvdQ0GtPynWH

I went to the site you got this information from and discovered a couple of alarming things.

#1- Professor Peter Williams, the person behind this report is NOT a doctor he is a nutritionist.

#2- This entire report is based on a reported "study" that they say was published 2 months ago but NO-WHERE on the site or in the televised report is there a link to, or even a reference to how to find and read this study. I even searched the internet to try and find this supposed published article to no avail.

News organizations are always looking for ways to entertain the viewers with shock and awe stories and this one jumped right out and got your attention. This is the type of irresponsible journalism which creates false beliefs in people and can actually do them harm in the end. I remember the good old days when no matter how exciting the scoop was it would NEVER be reported until it was fully "vetted" to insure accuracy. Oh Walter Cronkite we miss you!

Now Morgan lets find some real studies to keep you busy reading. Click here and read away all you wish, there's plenty of them. Pros and Cons, just remember to carefully read the elements of each because simple things like increased fiber which we promote, lean cuts which we promote and lots of green leafy veggies which we promote can change the out come of entire studies.

Click here, have fun- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_research_related_to_low-carbohydrate_diets

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 10:50:56 AM »
As fate continues this email came in this morning from yet another Doctor :)

Date: 3/21/2013 10:37:08 AM
To: dougvarrieur@fattoskinny.com
Subject: Need Help!!!

Doug,     I am a physician with Severe Type II DM and doing much better after implementing your book, FAT TO SKINNY. What a blessing in my life. Soon I will be speaking to 300 pastors on stress and the body. Do you have for sale a power-point on your book. I certainly hope so. If not, may I photograph for lecture use a few of the pictures and graphs for this symposium? Thanks so much.

With Gratitude,
Norm

Norman D.E. Raymond, D.O., FACOOG, CCD