Author Topic: Chocolate Chip Cookies That Aren't Grainy?  (Read 9728 times)

jackibar

• View Profile
    • Gorden and Jacki's Place
Chocolate Chip Cookies That Aren't Grainy?
« on: February 06, 2015, 12:06:43 PM »
Is there a chocolate chip cookie recipe that is good but doesn't have that grainy/sandy texture that it seems everything I try to bake with almond flour has?!  My husband and I are looking for a good one and this is one of our favorite desserts we miss but every one we've tried tastes ok but has something totally different from a cookie texture and the dough itself is really dry and crumbly before baking...
Join our [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss Forum[/url] Community Today!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Chocolate Chip Cookies That Aren't Grainy?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 08:38:51 AM »
Jacki, Umpa suggests you mix up the flours. Try cutting the almond flour and adding coconut flour. Here's a recipe to try.

Ingredients

1¼ cup almond flour
    3 tablespoons coconut flour
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 egg, room temperature
    ¼ cup butter, room temperature
    24 drops FAT TO SKINNY Zero Sweetener1
    ⅓ cup sugar free chocolate chips

Instructions

1- Preheat the oven to 350. Line 1 large baking sheet with parchment paper.
    2- In a bowl, sift together almond flour, coconut flour baking soda and salt.
    3- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on low-medium speed, cream butter, sweetener, egg, and vanilla until smooth.
    4- Add the flour mixture and mix until evenly mixed. Stir in chocolate chips.
    5- Drop 1-2 tablespoon size mounds of dough onto baking sheets, spacing the mounds at least 2 inches apart. Using your the palm of your hand or the bottom of a clean cup, flatten the cookies to the desired size and thickness.
    6- Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, or until slightly golden around the edges. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 2-3 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Now all you need is a glass of unsweetened almond milk! Enjoy :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:46:23 AM by Doug Varrieur »
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

jackibar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 03:26:59 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Doug and Umpa! What are your thoughts on using a touch of xanthum gum? I've noticed some recipes seems to use that to help with the crumbliness...
Join our [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss Forum[/url] Community Today!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 08:08:15 AM »
Take baby steps with xanthum gum, a little goes a long way  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

jackibar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 03:27:44 PM »
Can you use freezer paper in place of parchment paper? Don't have parchment on hand and we were gonna finally try this! We do have wax paper, too...

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 12:02:20 PM »
I dont know Jacki ??? No to the wax paper though

jackibar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 10:43:39 AM »
Okay, so we finally got to try this recipe out! We did go and get some parchment paper just to be on the safe side...

We did add 1/2 teaspoon of the xanthan gum since we had it and it seems to help the texture not to be crumbly - is this too much?!

We did like the cookies and the texture is much better now, but when Gorden was mixing up the liquid ingredients and went to add the Zero, he got in 10 drops and then it kinda squirted a little and then the bottle was empty! So we don't know how much actually got put in there.  When he added the dry ingredients and I tasted it, it tasted very bitter - not sweet at all - so we tried adding more Zero but since it was now a dough it was hard to get it all mixed in...

I do think this recipe is very close to what we're looking for in a chocolate chip cookie, though! Just wondering about using some of the low carb syrups people talk about? I noticed some of the recipes in your bakery cookbook mention sugar free maple syrup - is there a brand name or where do we get that from?  Just thinking a syrup might help it be just a little "gooeyer" - Gorden is wanting it to be similar to the toll house cookies :)

Thanks again!!

Jacki

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 09:12:58 AM »
When I use Zero I usually put it in the liquids that are added.You can get sugar free maple syrup at any grocery store.When I want more moisture I add coconut oil or coconut flour ;)