Author Topic: Remain stalled  (Read 14790 times)

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Remain stalled
« on: November 25, 2012, 11:12:24 PM »
hi friends ,
as many of you have already read i have been stalled for almost 3 months now and am purely aggravated. that being said i am in no way having thoughts of changing my new lifestyle or anything crazy but i am just upset as i stated in previous post so i am going to start posting my meals and see if anyone out there in our family can guide me , or give me suggestions. after following dougs advice last week and eating meats and greens  and eggs and protein for "breakfast" with nothing else added besides diet soda here and there i gained one lb this week.

todays menu consisted of
5 - 16oz bottles of water
1-  can of sprite zero

one piece of quiche - 2.75 net carbs
2 slices of bacon
1 cup pepper mocha keurig coffee with zero and heavy cream 1 net carb

1 medium pepper mocha coffee from dunkin donuts with cream and zero 1 net carb

1/2 cup of mashed cauliflower with cream and butter 2.50 net carbs
1/2 cup of green beans 2 net carbs
1 cup of homemade cream broc soup 3.60 net carbs
chicken wrapped in bacon with cream cheese inside- 2 net carbs

1 ounce of peanuts 3 net carbs
1 sugar free jello cup

total carbs     19.85

Joagain

• You can have excuses or results you cant have both
    • View Profile
Re: Remain stalled
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 08:37:32 AM »
Like Tony always tried to tell me the weight you are at might be a weight that you stayed at for awhile before you started FTS ,which makes it a set point . Don't get frustrated or you will sababtoge yourself like I have done a few times .
Just keep doing FTS and let it happen . Me and tony started the same time look at his loss and look at mine all because I was impatient . Just wait it out Steph ,it will happen  ;)

You can have excuses or results you cant have both !

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 11:18:45 AM »
Jo is right Stephanie.  I know it's frustrating being stuck.  I wonder if you could do a bit more tweaking?   I see a lot of cream and still sweetener.  I know we all claim zero shouldn't bother you but It's my understanding that if we are stalled we should cut all sweeteners for a while. Ugh  :P  I hate the thought...LOL

I'm not sure but I think you may be underestimating your net carbs as well.  A typical 1/2 cup serving of green beans will be 3 net carbs.  One carb here and there will add up quick if you aren't careful.  I'm wondering what was in that quiche?  Also the peanuts might be mislabeled?   I found some roasted in the shell that were listed as low net carbs but check this out    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3655    It lists 1 oz as 4.59 net carbs..... you might switch to a lower carb nut like almonds, pecans or walnuts.  Sunflower seeds make a great munchies snack too  :D

Also about coffee....give these a read  http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=4869.0 and http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=1382.0  Caffeine could be an issue.  If I have coffee with anything in it I try to count it as two because of the caffeine and then the sweetener and cream.  Every time I increase my cream consumption I either maintain or gain...go figure.   :-\   

Just a side note as well...your total at 19.85....yes it is under the 20 net carbs Doug has set as a limit, but your limit may be a different number.  For me I have to keep it below 15 net carbs without cream or sweeteners of any kind in order get my scale to move down.  If I eat too much lunch meat or sodium I will also stall or gain.  I can maintain at 20 net carbs easy though....I'm glad to know that..LOL 

If it were me, I would reevaluate my carb counts and measurements and start that week over again with proteins and greens.  This time nix the sodas all together and drink nothing but water. 

Hang in there girl  :)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
I don't think you are eating enough.  Your list doesn't have much protein in it.  It is counter-intuitive but I think it's the opposite of what Morgan was dealing with.

I'm curious to see what others think.

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 11:34:59 AM »
That is a good point....You may be right there Andrea 

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 12:54:51 PM »
  I see a lot of cream and still sweetener.  I know we all claim zero shouldn't bother you but It's my understanding that if we are stalled we should cut all sweeteners for a while. Ugh  :P  I hate the thought...LOL

OH DEAR LORD ! I DO NOT KNOW IF I COULD GO WITHOUT MY COFFEE CREAMER OR ZERO, MAYBE I COULD ONLY DRINK ONE CUP IN MORNING AND START FROM THERE . I AM DETERMINED TO lose weight AND GET HEALTHY SO MAYBE I CAN GET IN THAT MIND SET.

A typical 1/2 cup serving of green beans will be 3 net carbs.  One carb here and there will add up quick if you aren't careful. 
MY CAN STATES 1/2 CUP IS SERVING SIZE , 3 CARBS AND 1 GRAM FIBER= 2 NET CARBS ? RIGHT?

you might switch to a lower carb nut like almonds, pecans or walnuts.  Sunflower seeds make a great munchies snack too  :D= I CAN DO THIS, ALL THIS MISLABELING PISSES ME OFF LOL SORRY FOR THE AGGRESSIVE CHOICE OF WORDS LOL

Also about coffee....give these a read  http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=4869.0 and http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=1382.0  Caffeine could be an issue.  If I have coffee with anything in it I try to count it as two because of the caffeine and then the sweetener and cream.  Every time I increase my cream consumption I either maintain or gain...go figure.   :-\   =
I KNOW WE HAVE HAD THIS COFFEE DEBATE ON HERE AND I HAVE STARTED MANY TOPIC DISCUSSIONS ABOUT IT. EVEN WITH HEAVY CREAM YOU GAIN OR MAINTAIN? :( I DO NOT LIKE THIS LOL I CAN ADJUST THOUGH MAYBE USE LESS FOR NOW

Just a side note as well...your total at 19.85....yes it is under the 20 net carbs Doug has set as a limit, but your limit may be a different number.  For me I have to keep it below 15 net carbs without cream or sweeteners of any kind in order get my scale to move down.  If I eat too much lunch meat or sodium I will also stall or gain.  I can maintain at 20 net carbs easy though....I'm glad to know that..LOL 

I PREPARE ALL OF MY FOOD 90% OF THE TIME UNLESS MY "NEW GUY"AND I GO OUT TO DINNER, BUT FOR THE MOST PART I COOK US DINNER BECAUSE I FEEL SAFER :) SO I DO NO EAT LUNCH MEAT, I DO USE SALT ON THE OTHER HAND

If it were me, I would reevaluate my carb counts and measurements and start that week over again with proteins and greens.  This time nix the sodas all together and drink nothing but water. 

I CAN GIVE UP THE DIET SODA FOR A BIT : /

Hang in there girl  :)

I CAN NOT THANK YOU ENOUGH , YOU REALLY ARE SUCH A BIG HELP, YOU ALWAYS RESPOND WHEN SOMEONE IS IN NEED :0)

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 12:59:29 PM »

I don't think you are eating enough.  Your list doesn't have much protein in it.  It is counter-intuitive but I think it's the opposite of what Morgan was dealing with.

HI ANDREA
I REALLY TRY TO STICK TO EATING ONLY WHEN I AM HUNGRY AND ONLY AFTER I HAVE HAD  A BOTTLE OF WATER IF I DO THINK I AM HUNGRY AND THEN WAIT. I DO NOT FEEL LIKE I EAT ALOT MYSELF EITHER BUT I AM SATISFIED AND I REALLY AM NOT HUNGRY.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 01:17:55 PM »
What I am suggesting is that you have a hard boiled egg instead of a bowl of soup.  It's a small adjustment but it will change the ratio of protein with other low carb foods. 

Fat and protein are the two things that will keep you satisfied and my read of your menu is that fat is doing it currently.  I think changing it up is worth a try.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 01:26:28 PM »
Hi Steph! :)

As you may have recall from school, our bodies (and minds) seek out stasis.
That is, they are resistant to change.
Given that, and not eating enough protein plus eating sweeteners could make a difference.

My weight hasn't moved in the last couple of months despite tweaking my diet.
But, I'm close to what I weighed during my football playing years (about 7).

I know that my body is trying to "hold position" despite living by the FTS rules.
You're about 1/2 way to goal and could very well be near a weight you held for a sustained period of time in the past.

When I started FTS, my coffee HAD TO HAVE sweetener!
I stopped using sweeteners, and found after a short time, I enjoyed my coffee just as much without them.
To this day, I prefer my coffee black.
What may seem very difficult at first, can be much easier than you think after you get past a "stasis" point.

So make the few simple changes your FTS family has suggested and hang in there!
You will lose more weight when your body gives up fighting against your FTS lifestyle!

And, we will stick with you all the way! :) :) :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Remain stalled
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 01:29:48 PM »
Andrea, I understand what you are saying now :) cool I will try that asap! Thank you

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 01:34:56 PM »
Tony, I do understand what your saying as well but I mean how long can we stay in a statis period. It is hard for me to understand especially coming from a science degree background it just doesn't add up in my mind but that being said I am going to keep the course and use all of these tips to help me get through this !! Thank you all again !

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »
Tony, I do understand what your saying as well but I mean how long can we stay in a statis period. It is hard for me to understand especially coming from a science degree background it just doesn't add up in my mind but that being said I am going to keep the course and use all of these tips to help me get through this !! Thank you all again !

Hi Steph! :)

Kudos for your commitment to staying the course despite some obstacles! :) :) :) :)

I too, have a science background. I first studied about the principle of stasis in a sophomore biology class.
It also showed up in several psychology classes.

The principle of "stasis" is the reason it takes some effort to change or break habits.
There is a genuine resistance to the change.
It operates in a similar manner in our bodies.

How long we stay in stasis depends on many different variables.
There is no way to predict with any accuracy, how long your stasis period will last.

The point is, by making small adjustments here and there can expedite getting past these periods more quickly.
By changing things up, you're body will have no choice but to eventually relent.

What really matters is that you are getting healthier every day you avoid eating high carb junk.
Every day, your body is going though "recovery" from years of carb abuse.
By committing to the FTS lifestyle, you're committing to a longer, healthier life! ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 02:46:43 PM »
well that makes a little more sense and i can wrap my brain around that a little better BUT it still sucks lol ! i thank you tony for taking the time to lend an ear and for your support ! you are right i am becoming more and more healthy every day and i go to the dr in 2 weeks to have some blood work done to see what my cholesterol and triglycerides are just for my own purpose. i have never been so excited to have blood work done : )

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 03:14:56 PM »
And put the scale away.  Loan it to a friend or put it in the trunk of your car.  We need to find you a different type of gratification.

I don't usually suggest this but you might think about using some ketone test strips.  I'm trying to think of ways to prove to yourself that you are using up those fat stores.  Nothing says melting fat quite as clearly as purple on the strip.

I have a BS in Biological Science so I understand the scientific bent to your questions, too.

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 03:56:08 PM »

And put the scale away.  Loan it to a friend or put it in the trunk of your car.  We need to find you a different type of gratification.

I don't usually suggest this but you might think about using some ketone test strips.  I'm trying to think of ways to prove to yourself that you are using up those fat stores.  Nothing says melting fat quite as clearly as purple on the strip.

I have a BS in Biological Science so I understand the scientific bent to your questions, too.

Andrea, sorry about the all caps above friends, : /
you are sooooooooooooo right , i have a real problem with the scale always have my whole life. i struggle with it. sometimes just hearing it, "put it away" "loan it to a friend" makes the light bulb go off because since this stall i have been on for the past few months i have been even more obsessed with the stupid thing lol. funny you should say that but that is exactly what i need, gratification ! and you know what that might not be a bad idea for me! even if i dipped the stick as we call it in nursing once a week that would make me "content" to know i am doing it right. i am relieved to hear that you too are science major so at the least you , you and tony understand my madness about not understanding why i am stalled and overthinking this waaaaayyyy toooo much!
thanks andrea i think i am going to get the sticks when i go to the drug store!
:)