Author Topic: 0 carb questions  (Read 5295 times)

deblynbr

• View Profile
0 carb questions
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:06:30 PM »
ok.. I probably should know this  :-\,  when it comes to zero carbs. lets say 1 cup  SF jello  and sugar free whipping cream ( land of lakes)
they are both 0 carbs.  what if you have 2 servings for a snack, is it still 0 carbs? 2 Tbl of whip cream isn't much and hard to measure.. I understand that zero carbs doesn't mean zero calories.. haha! ::). I gained 2 lbs this week. so the experimenting with the Sweets was not a good choice. :-[. I am measuring, weighing and writing it down  now.. I need a refresher and understanding  on the 0 carb portion control. anyone Please? haha

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 0 carb questions
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 01:15:35 PM »
Common issue today.

The SF Jello really is zero carbs.  The whipping cream might have traces of carbs that will add up if you have too many servings.  The reporting requirement is that anything under .5 can be reported as zero.  For us math geeks, that's rounding down.  If serving size is 2 TBSP and there's .49 carbs in that amount, the label will say zero.  But, two servings will be .98, clearly a full carb.

You'll figure out where the trouble spots are with some experience. 

I almost forgot to remind you to be sure to drink lots of water.  64 oz. is the minimum.  Your body needs it!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »
Hi Deb! :)

Portion control is as important as carb counts.
If you take in (eat) more food (energy) than your body needs (uses), your progress will be slowed or stopped.
Use Doug's "15 Minute Rule" periodically as your food requirements will change as you lose weight.

Also, Doug recommends to stop eating sweets with sugar alcohols for a while if your stalled or gaining.
For many folks, they can act like digestible (net) carbs and cause blood glucose spikes.
This happens often. Especially early on the FTS journey.

A big part of this lifestyle is learning how your body responds to different foods in different amounts.
Consider a temporary stall or gain as "normal" and part of the process in learning about how YOUR body works with food.
And remember, that this too will change as you lose weight.
Like most aspects of life, success relies on making proper adjustments.

And I echo Andrea's emphasis on drinking plenty of water.
Even mild dehydration that we don't even notice can impede progress.

You'll do great! :) :) :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

deblynbr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 02:45:22 PM »
Thank you both! I usually do drink alot of water. But am guilty this
Last week to adding a couple sodas fresca or diet rite or diet root beer per day ! zero
Carb items ya know! Gets me everytime! We usually dont keep it in the house. For that reason!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 09:10:59 AM »
Deb also be aware as women our weight fluctuates. Take your measurements . Weigh in in the morning after you use the restroom and before anything passes your lips,and weigh your self naked! :D :D

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 09:39:54 AM »
Sleep!  We haven't mentioned that in a while.  There's lots of research that supports the need for 7 to 9 hours of sleep every night.

deblynbr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 07:55:09 AM »
Umpa, I do know that all too well about the weight and weighing myself.. are you kidding.. I would NEVER weigh myself with clothes on.. or wet hair.. LOL!  also I had been struggling with menapause symptoms the last couple years.. which threw me into this 25 lb weight gain and the feeling of being completely drained.. so Andrea the Sleeping patterns were a mess. but since I am controlling my sugar. emotionally and physically I am feeling like myself again.. I know I don't have this program down to the science of it.. I still feel a little off.. by evening in the way that I feel Like I ate too much.. Which I know I really haven't only that I am still eating too many zero carb items and not enough good carbs..but I still feel good about this diet and know I will in time get it tweaked. Good News is my husband has joined me and he is loving it and feeling better. he may only have 10 lbs to lose if that. but feeling good is what he is after.Thanks for all the support here.. I love it here.. have a good day peeps! :-*

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 10:32:36 AM »
Hi Deb! :)

Your stomach (actually your mind) is probably accustomed to that "full" feeling and has associated this feeling from eating too much, with being "satisfied".

Using Doug's 15 Minute Hunger Test at each meal until you readjust your system to eating less food will help you.

At first, your subconscious mind will try to convince you that you haven't eaten enough.
But if you ignore it and pay attention to what your body is telling you, you'll eat less and lose faster! ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!