Author Topic: Diabetic Delima!! Glad I know how to use the brain God gave me!!  (Read 2944 times)

Snobles

• Eat to live, not live to eat!
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanics Wife
    • Email
Hi guys! Summer has been in full swing and so have we! I like it better in the bus, at least I'm going in only ONE direction! haha...This is going to be long, so bare with me! Well, since we have moved back down to Florida, my 16yr. olds high school, wanted us to go to a clinic, downtown! We have a primary doctor that we go to, that is way better! I will never go to the one downtown again!!!
My 16yr. old got diagnosed with diabeties while we were in Missouri, in 2010, I believe. They did the required bloodwork etc...of course to "come up with that decision!" Well, the dr. today, tells me(are ya ready?!)that he wants my 16yr. old to totally quit takeing his diabeties medicine for...FOUR whole months!! He takes Metformin, Simvistatin? And cholestrol medicine. Honestly, I'm no doctor, but do you know what could happen to that boys blood sugar in four months??!! Even with "Direct" supervision from us, at home?!! Geese, when my husband came home, I told him everything the doctor told me! He wants him to come back in four months, to "reassest" everything! And to basicly start him over from scratch! Do you know what that can do to his system? Totally mess him up big time! I thought our primary doctor sent him over there, but my husband said, no, it was his "school" doing all of this!! The doctor, with almost a grin told me, that the dosage he was on for each medication, was bare minimum, that he was going to probably be on a thousand milligrams!! Seriously!?
I know I've harped on this before, but how can the school system be so darn ignorant??! And doctors, for that matter! Didn't they have to go through years of training to be a doctor?! So my husband informed us, that he would continue takeing his medication, and the next time one of us has an appointment over there, I am going to tell the doctor everything the doctor downtown told me!
Would love y'alls input!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:38:20 PM by Snobles »

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Diabetic Delima!! Glad I know how to use the brain God gave me!!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:51:15 PM »
Schools just seem to be butting into everything these days.  And children supposedly have all the rights and parents none.  There was a big controversy last year at one of the high schools near me when it became known that the school was making doctor's appointments for girls (mind you underage girls) to be put on the pill without their parents knowledge or consent.  It went above and beyond their parameters of 'care'.  To my knowledge they didn't even teach sex education.  And doctor's writing these prescriptions without guardian knowledge but with a teacher present is just outrageous.  What is it with Doctors?  You would think that new doctor would at least ease in and say perhaps - I need you to drop in weekly to monitor your blood works.  Not go cold turkey for 4 months.  Worse case scenario (and I wouldn't want that to happen) medical negligence!

Snobles

• View Profile
    • The Mechanics Wife
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 08:55:22 PM »
Thanks Morgan! Glad I'm not the only one! And wow! Giveing them the pill without parents concent! If I had a girl and found out, I would have flipped!!

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:37:08 PM »
Hi Stephanie  I'm glad you guys are settling in well.  It's good to see you  ;)   Boy I would sure want to get a second opinion before I just took him off cold turkey myself.  Surely they know that even if he is on the minimum amount he will feel it when he isn't on anything anymore so quickly.  I would just tell the school to keep their nose out of it that is for sure  >:(

Did they do blood work before coming to that conclusion??  I'm wondering if maybe the doc is thinking he doesn't need the meds anymore?  It didn't take me long after starting the FTS lifestyle to get my sugar to normal range. 

I agree Morgan I would flip if I found out the school did that to my girl as well  :o  Good golly we live in strange times.....

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 11:15:54 PM »
Hi Steph, the docs diagnosis should be based on the recent blood work and your teens current diet. Is he following FTS? If so...maybe the doc is right on. ???
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 08:17:15 AM »
Maybe this is being too nosy, but is his diagnosis Type I (Juvenile) diabetes or Type II Diabetes?

One is treatable but not cureable.  Two is curable.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 08:23:50 AM »
Type  2 right Stef? I would flip out on the school :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 10:52:04 AM »
Hi Steph! :)

It doesn't take our bodies very long to reach normal blood sugar levels following the FTS rules.

I was living FTS for a couple of weeks, and my numbers improved a bunch.
After a few months, my doc took me off Metformin altogether! ;D

Don't get me started on the schools!
They're just another extension of government that wants to get into our personal lives and destroy our RIGHT to protect our children.

The people of Germany asked for, and welcomed the government into their lives with open arms in the 1930s.
It did not turn out very well for them, did it?... Why can't we learn from history?
What you do today is what matters!

Snobles

• View Profile
    • The Mechanics Wife
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 03:45:01 PM »
Thanks guys for the support! And it's not too nosey! He's got type 2. He just takes Metformin for it. And Mouseissue, you are right! It seems like, anytime, the school system or government gets involved, it messes up everything!!

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 03:47:28 PM »
Steph,
I know he's a teenager and probably boundary-testing.  Does he like FTS-style eating?

Alex Cruz

• Forget yesterday, live today for a better tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 08:44:12 PM »
Hey Stephanie,

Actually I kinda agree with Doug, if he is following the FTS and is type 2, he should ok going off the meds.. Have you considered maybe checking his glucose several times a day for a couple of days of the meds to see how he is doing? I only say this because I was taking 1000 mg metformin and I no longer take it.. I still use on med but the amnt has been decreased drastically...
Also, what was his last A1C like.. I was at  8.4 when I started FTS and ity went down to 5.9.. It went up a little (6.4) when I went off and of course I had gained a few lbs back during the holidays.. I actually need to get my A1C tested again..
Just a thought..
Alex

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. Eleanor Roosevelt