Author Topic: Week 3 - Scales are my friend  (Read 5327 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Week 3 - Scales are my friend
« on: May 15, 2012, 07:53:41 PM »
Well Week 3 has rolled along. I couldn't weigh in on my normal day as I was stranded far from home - resisting temptation .  Now I know why doug insists we empty our homes from the high carb stuff.  When I am home I feel "safe". I know almost everything at home is edible without any consequence.  In someone elses home it's like a minefield.  But the scales are my friend this week as they registered a-

Drumroll please - 5lb loss (consigned to the universe to find a new home) - making a total of 8lbs in 3 weeks.

Thank you to all for just being there.  Thanks doug and umpa for my free book (Bakery) -it will have a good home with me :D

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Week 3 - Scales are my friend
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 09:08:40 PM »
Cheers on your weight loss, Morgan.  I'm very excited for you!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:52:34 PM »
Congrats Morgan, you're well on your way to a new and exciting lifestyle :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

BigTex

• If you are a quitter you can't be a loser!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 03:18:19 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D Awesome!!! CONGRATULATIONS Morgan!!! ;D ;D ;D :-*
Will ---

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

rae2

• View Profile
    • Ric's Pix
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 09:26:13 AM »
Here's my 2 cents' worth...

The most important set of scales involved in the process of losing weight are those to weigh food BEFORE you eat it, not the scales you stand on afterwards.

As I think Doug has mentioned, it's real easy to "estimate" 4 ounces of broccoli and when you actually weigh it, you find it weighs EIGHT.

Get a cheapo electronic scale and use it to weigh cheese, meat, vegetables... even lettuce!
You'd be surprised at how little lettuce there is in 3.5 oz of romaine.

And MEASURE everything too until you get good enough to know what one fluid ounce, or a quarter cup of something looks like.

Final tip that has been an enormous help in my weight loss over the last 6 months (43 lbs down, 27 to go).
I found a computer program called "Weight-By-Date" which allows me to design/record each day's meals.
It tracks/calculates the nutrients and presents the results of your efforts in colorful, easy-to-understand charts.
Take a look yourself: www.weightbydate.com
And no, I don't benefit in any way from that recommendation.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 09:29:59 AM »
I AGREE RICHARD! I use my electronic scale everyday. My eyes are bigger than my stomach! I always make too much food! :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
I'm thrilled for your 5 pound loss, Morgan!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
You're on your way now! ;)

My digital kitchen scale is my friend!... I use it EVERY day for almost EVERYTHING!
It's been a HUGE help in my FTS journey!
What you do today is what matters!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 06:52:18 PM »
Thanks all.  I use my kitchen scales a lot too.  The real reason I am weighing in weekly and putting it on the forum is for accountability.  There is no one here that I wish to weigh in front of.  Since I have a fair bit to lose, I feel I should have it 'memorialised' somewhere to keep me on track, rather than slink away and eat a DONUT!!!!!!! if things go a bit 'wonky'.  Good outcome or bad.  Good in that I show a loss or bad that I should (stop and think what's gone wrong) and try harder and that there is support if I need it.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »
As long as you and your scale stay friends,enjoy the friendship. ;)

rae2

• View Profile
    • Ric's Pix
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »
You just keep at it, Morgan.

I was/am surprised to realize that losing weight is much the same experience as quitting smoking. I smoked from my teen years until I was 50. I quit several times during that period but always got back on the weed. Then one day, triggered I think by yet another astronomical raise in the taxes on smokes, I decided to just quit... in two stages. #1 rule: no smoking indoors. That cut the consumption in half. A few months later, #2... just quit. Many times over the next year I longed for a smoke, but I stuck it out. Now I wouldn't smoke anything smaller than a turkey if you had me at gunpoint.

I've yo-yo dieted all my life... like someone once quipped, I've lost so much weight I should be on a charm bracelet! Then last November I guess I was ready, spurred on by high blood pressure, a daily intake of TUMS required, and looking fat and sloppy. I read and read and read... and the more I read, the more confusing it became. As my doctor quipped "what you believe depends on who you read."

In any case, on a combination of advisors - Doug amongst them, I decided on low carb.

Within a week I just couldn't believe the difference. I felt terrific. I felt no hunger pangs. I haven't required a TUMS since day one. I had so much energy I thought surely there was something wrong with me. I walked and moved with a fluid ease I hadn't had in decades. AND///BONUS... my blood pressure dropped within 3 months from the 150/95 range to NORMAL for my age now averaging 125/75.

So keep at it Morgan. Just decide to do it... and you will.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 03:07:48 PM »
Umpa and Big Tex,
Swallow your coffee before your read rae2's post.  Just a friendly warning.

As an illustration:  "I wouldn't smoke anyting smaller than a turkey."  I had to wipe down my monitor!

BigTex

• If you are a quitter you can't be a loser!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 06:25:28 PM »
Uh Huh, I'm thinkin I need to invest in a waterproof computer :D I used to have a laptop that was  ;)
Will ---

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 09:00:17 AM »
Thanks Andrea!  :) I have learned hanging out with you that I don't have anything in my mouth when I click on a post :D

millie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 10:58:39 AM »
-----congratulations, i know it get frustrating , I just purchased a new scale last week my old one was not giving me the correct reading, i compared them.  i am obsessed with the scale i weigh myself every morning knowing my weight keeps me motivated.

-----continue you are doing a great job.

millie  :D :D :D :D

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »
owensmath,
Millie is a scale geek, too.