Author Topic: Food allergies  (Read 3851 times)

tinab232

• View Profile
    • Email
Food allergies
« on: May 17, 2012, 01:36:47 PM »
I went to the doctor about my chronic migraines and it turns out I have some significant food allergies I didn't know about. Vanilla I'm particularly allergic to, several veggies, some spices, brown rice, several additives and red and yellow food dye. So now the doc wants me on a gluten free, dairy free, caffeine free, low carb, low acid/high alkaline diet that avoids my allergies. I think the only thing left is asparagus and raw spinach.  ;)

So that will be challenging. I'm going to have to find a nutritionist to help with that one cuz I'm stumped. But hey, anything that will get rid of migraines and extra hip yardage.  ;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Re: Food allergies
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 01:42:38 PM »
Actually Tina you should be able to work it out here..have the migrane's stopped? Are you using Aspartame? I'ts found in most diet soda and the blue pacs called equel. That always gives me headaches.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Food allergies
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 02:52:11 PM »
Tina,
I wrote something else and talked myself into thinking that this looks really doable as a diet.  I'd ask why no dairy when there isn't anything on this list that indicates dairy.  Lots of people are lactose intolerant, but not all dairy has lactose (I'm thinking cheese and heavy cream) and allowing some of it would give you more options, not having it isn't a deal stopper.

Many of the baked good replacements are gluten-free (almond flour doesn't have gluten) and we try to limit tomatoes (probably the most prominent of the high acid foods) because the carbs can add up fast. 

Most people would balk at the "low carb" part of these directions and you don't have that hurdle to jump.

I've experienced one migraine in my life so people with recurrent migraines have my heartfelt sympathy.  Let us know where you are having menu planning problems and I'm sure there will be lots of solutions offered.

tinab232

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 03:28:40 PM »
I don't use Equal and avoid anything that has it as an ingredient.

The problem with dairy is that butter and cheese are acidic forming apparently so they want me to avoid it. Most meats are acidic and several other items I've been eating are acidic forming or there's mixed info on whether it's acidic or alkaline, like flax seed meal. I'm supposed to be 80% alkaline/20% acidic. So I've still been using heavy cream in my coffee but that's about it for dairy until I meet with the doc again and get more details. I don't have the full allergy report yet so don't know the full impact yet. They called me while I was packing for vacation so I decided if I've survived this long, I'd manage through my trip to Yosemite. :)

Hopefully Monday I'll actually get some details on this asparagus and spinach diet. :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Re: Food allergies
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 03:31:16 PM »
I think you should consider getting a second opinion...seems a bit quacky to me.
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

tinab232

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 03:37:35 PM »
I thought so too until my regular doctor confirmed high acid diets can trigger migraines and other issues.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 09:13:27 AM »
I suffered for years with migraines and seizures to the point of losing my drivers license.I was a single parent so that was a huge issue.I finally met a doctor that had me go through allergy testing.I lit up like  a Christmas tree! I was allergic to the preservatives they put in meat to leave it on the shelve for longterm.As long as I ate meat that wasn't preserved like deer or fresh kill i was fine.Eventually(years) I just grew out of it and I was fine.If you give me a list of foods you can eat I will help you with a menuTina232.But like doug said you need another opinion. ;)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 11:58:14 AM »
I'm going to do some research this during the weekend.  The biologist in me is wanting to check out "low acid" as a dietary guideline.  I'll report back.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 08:43:14 AM »
Andrea the mad scientist!!!! :D :D :D :D

tinab232

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 02:56:14 PM »
Thanks! I should find out more Monday.  They named a few preservatives I was allergic to but I don't have the list yet so no details yet. Ive read several articles on the acid/alkaline guidelines and it can be confusing. There's lots of info out there.  One good thing is the doctor says sugar is toxic and has written several articles on it.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 09:14:28 AM »
Once i learned Sugar was fuel for cancer I never went back. ;) keep us informed .There are alot of very wise people here on the forum . :)