Author Topic: Controlled Carbs  (Read 4377 times)

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Controlled Carbs
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:49:48 AM »
I started FTS cold turkey after a “come to Jesus” session with my doctor in late May.  He told me to read Fat to Skinny.  My weight gain was primarily related to thyroid issues but it was still weight that needed to come off.  I was lucky that I didn’t experience the sugar withdrawl symptoms that some of you described.  I also decided to not deal with replacements until I established a low carb pattern of eating so my first month was meat and salads.

My husband and 5 daughters are all tall, thin and athletic.  I am 5’3” and have a stockier build.  My husband, bless his heart, took on the low carb challenge, has done most of the search for new recipes and does most of the cooking and meal planning.  He lost 10 pounds he couldn’t afford to lose and has managed to put it back on by supplementing his meals with added carbs. 

To me, the best part of FTS is not being hungry.  On other eating plans, if I ran out of “points” or “exchanges” and was hungry at bedtime, celery was just not going to fix the problem.  A hard-boiled egg or piece of cheese, on the other hand, will get me through the night.

Once people started to notice that I was losing weight, I found that the phase “low carb” got a lot of negative reaction.  I started using the word “controlled” and found that people didn’t dismiss it quite as quickly.  My explanation to them is that for now I’m at a pretty low carb intake but that I will add when I’ve reached my goal weight but still “control” my carb intake.

So, 50 pounds later, I have a different relationship with food and with my doctor.  It is easier to focus in on the hypothyroidism that is my primary health risk.  I’m a “loser” in the finest sense of the word.

suzlyn454

• View Profile
Re: Controlled Carbs
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 11:12:18 AM »
Congratulations Andrea!!!! A whopping 50 pounds since May.  Way to go.  ;D I am impressed that your doctor recommended FTS.  That is great also.  If just more doctors and folks could find this way of lifestyle.  I am more aware of just how much someone else might need to lose.  The ladies at our local Walmart have been very helpful when I tell them I am looking for special items.  Once they find out my story with FTS they are excited to check out the websites.  I just hope they do!
Suz
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

joagain

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 11:38:02 AM »
congrats Andrea & welcome to the forum

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 11:53:46 AM »
Kudos to you on the 50 pound loss, Andrea!!! :) :) :) :) :)

My wife also has hypothyroidism.
However, since her doctor put her on a "controlled carb" lifestyle and added exercise, she is losing weight and doing great!

Her doc said that she'll always have to meds for her thyroid.
But with getting a handle on her weight, her health outlook is FAR better for her later years!

Having a doctor that understands and supports the FTS lifestyle, is a HUGE blessing!!!
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 12:26:36 AM »
Congrats on the 50 lbs gone!!!  That is awesome  ;D ;D  We love to be losers here... ;) ;)

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 08:10:27 AM »
  We love to be losers here... ;) ;)

hehehehehehehehehe
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 08:11:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum Andrea!And congrats on your weight loss! I am umpa,dougs wife if I can help you please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly. :)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 08:57:16 AM »
Welcome to the family Andrea  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 04:36:33 PM »
Fantastic testimony Andrea and welcome to our FTS family.  What an incredible accomplishment you must be so proud.  What a great hubby to join in and help you with your WL journey!
Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!