Author Topic: Checking back in...  (Read 8286 times)

guypacot

• View Profile
    • Guy's Weight Loss Story
Checking back in...
« on: August 17, 2011, 11:48:31 AM »
It's been a long time, but I'm still waging the diet/lifestyle war!

I was in Branson, MO for my anniversary and had an emergency gall bladder surgery (not via scope, full incision) and it's been a good recovery.

I don't even remember where I was, but I can tell you this...I'm down to slightly less than a 40" waist, and I'm working out 5 days a week and the thinnest and in the best shape of the last 20 years of my life.

I got down to 245, but since working out I've been putting on muscle.  I'm back up to 255, but visibly much thinner, more toned, and the fat keeps coming off!

I eat far less, have kept to the ultra low carb diet, and have gone to very lean beef, but mostly turkey, chicken, and fish.

This new lifestyle gave me the shortest recovery from surgery ever (I've had a total of 7 abdominal surgeries and 3 back surgeries) and now even my back is in much better shape after just a few months ago hardly being able to walk!

Thank you Doug and all the rest for your support. 
Over 50, 5'11" and weigh 275.  I've been as high as 353.  I have Type II Diabetes, borderline HBP, back and abdominal issues.  It's time to be disciplined and get the weight off and I have the tools I need now.

guypacot

• View Profile
    • Guy's Weight Loss Story
Re: Checking back in...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:24:47 PM »
P.S. - And for the first time since I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes in 2005 my last A1C test was 5.8!!! Even though I haven't been taking any medication that puts me officially below the tolerance for actually having Type II Diabetes.  I've got a good way to go yet, but I know I'll get there.

I've also lowered my total cholesterol from 203 down to 163 and my doctor says I'll be off my blood pressure medication in the next month or two.

If I can do this, anyone can.
Over 50, 5'11" and weigh 275.  I've been as high as 353.  I have Type II Diabetes, borderline HBP, back and abdominal issues.  It's time to be disciplined and get the weight off and I have the tools I need now.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:25:04 PM »
It's nice to hear from you again, Guy! :) :) :)

It gladdens my heart to hear that your health is improving in such dramatic ways.

Your testimony is another reason why none of us should obsess in what the scale says.
This is especially true for people who are working out and building muscle mass.

So here's some food for thought... Muscle is heavier than fat.
Therefore, it is possible for someone working out who was FAT to be come trim, toned, healthy, and weigh more than they did when they started! ;)
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:35:44 PM »
Bravo!!!  Love to hear that!!  ;D ;D

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:38:39 PM »
Way to go!  I love hearing good news like this!!

Amber

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 09:00:21 PM »
Wow, great!  :)

suzlyn454

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 06:17:21 AM »

Your testimony is another reason why none of us should obsess in what the scale says.
This is especially true for people who are working out and building muscle mass.

So here's some food for thought... Muscle is heavier than fat.
Therefore, it is possible for someone working out who was FAT to be come trim, toned, healthy, and weigh more than they did when they started! ;)

Mouseissue, I had heard the same thing about muscle being heavier than fat...I had been told that by someone years ago.  Anyway,

Guy, glad the recovery was a lot better because of your new lifestyle.  Congrats!!  Great testimony.  Keep up the good work.
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 09:30:17 AM »
Guy I am so happy for you!! ;D you are in control of your health!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 08:39:20 AM »
I was wondering where you disappeared to Guy, glad to hear you're doing so well. Stay in touch  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

chattycathie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 11:09:57 AM »
Hey Guy!  Nice to hear of your better health!  I had gall bladder out the same way you did, back in 1972!  It's not fun.  You should feel good now!  Good luck!