Author Topic: How to help an overweight child?  (Read 4126 times)

LadyPantera

• View Profile
    • Lice Busters
How to help an overweight child?
« on: July 13, 2011, 04:19:29 AM »
Hi, my name is Alana.  My 8 year old daughter, Salena, weighs 104 lbs and is 22 lbs over the maximum healthy weight for her height. Though I don't think that she has been teased about her weight, she tells me that she doesn't like to play tag because kids always tag her knowing that she's the slowest runner.  She has always been off the charts even when she was breastfed (22 lbs at 3 months old / 36 lbs at one year old).  I have always asked myself why she was gaining SO much weight when I have always fed her healthy foods.  I don't mean healthy in the way that the general public views healthy "Oh, look, this can of spaghetti o's has vitamins and minerals in it!", I mean everything organic from health food stores and very few processed foods.  My mom is a bonafide hippy health-nut control freak, so I know what health is.       

Salena started to grow into her weight as a toddler, never skinny, but looking less like the Michelin tire man.  Then she started kindergarten.  I immediately had to go talk to the teacher about bringing in a separate snack for Salena.  She tried to assure me that the crackers, goldfish, occasional oreos, and other crap snacks were all "FDA Approved".  I told her that FDA didn't have any clout with me and that my daughter's health was paramount.  I kept snacks for Salena in her classroom during the entire kindergarten year.  The next year something was definitely different.  I had less control over her food, so even if her home packed lunch was healthy, there were other elements that were out of my control.  In first grade, after spring break, I made the BIG mistake of letting her have school lunch for the remaining two months of school.  She put on a rather visible amount of weight.

In second grade, school lunch was only for emergencies.  During the summer after second grade, my mom declared war on the weight.  Salena lost a noticeable amount of weight, not yet in the healthy zone, but she was on her way.  Then came third grade.  It seemed that she and her classmates were being rewarded with candy at least a few times a week and by different teachers.  One day she said that she got four lollipops.  She has put on more that twenty pounds in the last school year and resembles the Michelin tire man, again. 

Now we are embarking on the FTS way of life.  She's excited about the things that she'll be able to eat now, like the peanut butter fudge.  We have been making our own soda with xylitol and sparkling mineral water.  Making pancakes with coconut flour.  I've found replacements for breads, pastas, cakes and cookies.  The problem is that my daughter is addicted fruit juices and I haven't figured out how to replace those yet.  Over the past two years she has become unwilling to eat many meats and it has been increasingly difficult to find protein that she will eat.  Strangely, she likes broccoli.  I had been disguising hemp seeds in home made smoothies, but that won't work on the FTS plan.  Any ideas for the picky kid who loves Jamba Juice?

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: How to help an overweight child?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 08:54:01 AM »
Hi Alana, sounds like you're on a passionate mission and I'm glad to see it. First of all welcome to the forum, this will be a backbone for you and Salena's future.

OK here's my first advice...... Read her the book just like a night time story. If you want her to voluntarily give up the foods and beverages that are making her fat she needs to understand why. I wrote the book to read like a children's story book complete with color pictures for a reason, Salena is that reason. Teach her how to understand the why's and the rest of it will fall into place. Before long she'll ask for crystal light instead of fruit juice simply because she'll understand what the juice is doing to her body.

Next please click here and download this article and put the plan into action;

FREE Article- TEN WAYS PARENTS CANSugarProof THEIR CHILDREN CLICK-  https://www.onlinefilefolder.com/3sIv79ZKkcBgh0

Stay active here on the forum and make sure your Mom reads the book so everyone is on the same page. Many of the foods "bonafide hippy health-nut control freaks" think are healthy will destroy Salena's chances for success.

Here's another article for you to read that brigs that point home;

FREE Article- Top Ten "Healthy Foods" That Are Killing Us! CLICK- https://www.onlinefilefolder.com/3sxLOZPqprzHFa

Don't worry, we're all here for you and your family  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 09:21:58 AM »
LadyPantera welcome to the Forum.You have found the right place :) We can help you.I am Umpa,Dougs wife.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.
The subsitute for Jamba Juice is seltzer water with flavored DaVinci sugarfree coffee syrups.Kids love this! They have like 100 different flavors.I love the pomegranite and mango!
My husband is right.You,your daughter ,and mom all need to be on the same page of music.You need to teach your daughter about health eating the fat to skinny way.Even if she doesn't follow the plan 100% when she is away from home she will make better choices.It the teaspoons in the book the children understand and it sticks with them so they make better choices.Nobody wants to be the fat kid,but more importantly lets get her under control before she becomes diabetic2.
Coconut flour is a bad choice it is 3 carbs per tablespoon.A better choice would be Flax zero carbs,golden flax 0 carbs or unblanched almond flour at 4 carbs per cup.
You are gonna need the Bakery Book.You can buy it at fat to skinny.com or get it free with 50 posts.The Bakery has all the kid food.Cakes cookies pies,bread,etc all made from scratch.So you can still make cookies with your daughter ;)
I will help you .There is nothing out there thatI can't find a replacement for.Anytime you need help please ask. :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 05:00:20 PM »
Welcome to the family, Alana! :) :) :) :) :) :)

I applaud your taking control of your child's health.

Our schools are completely in the dark about what makes kids FAT.
They abide by the upside down food pyramid (now the "sideways" food circle) which, if followed, cause obesity.

I look forward to hear about your and your child's future successes in the FTS lifestyle.
What you do today is what matters!

LadyPantera

• View Profile
    • Lice Busters
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 02:59:23 PM »
Thank you for your support.  I'm not sure if all coconut flour is created equal, maybe some have a higher fiber ratio.  The coconut flour that I bought the other day (pictured) essentially has zero net carbs and another (linked below) that I am considering buying online has 3 net carbs for 5 tablespoons.  My daughter is very picky and won't eat flax meal.  I am very picky in that I don't use soy or artificial sweeteners due to the potential health risks.  So, between the both of us a lot of option get cut out.  ::)  She's at her dad's for the next three weeks and I want to fine tune all of the recipes so she will be receptive to our new life style.  Xylitol has been my best friend so far.  The konjac noodles are great, too.  The main replacement that I need to master is pizza.  I've been watching youtube videos about coconut flour pizza recipes.  Do you know of any great pizza recipes?

http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/product-labels/coconut-flour.pdf

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »
Go to the home page and type Pizza in the search bar on the right top of the page. That will search the entire forum for pizza recipes of which we have several :)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 08:36:34 AM »
Unblanched almond flour is my flour of choice.I like the NOW brand.I also like hazelnut flour.What brand is the zero carb coconut flour?Xylitol unlike sugar strenthens the teeth,great choice. :)
With my kids and grandson its lavash pizza .We but the lavash from Sami's Bakery and the pizza cooks in like 9 minutes on a pizza stone.There are other brands of lavash too.
There are several pizza recipes on the forum. My spinach bread makes a nice pizza crust.There is also a pizza crust made from cauliflower. ;)What else does she need??

snobles

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 09:02:42 PM »
Hi Lady Pantera! Havein 2 overweight teenagers myself, that would eat from sunup from sundown if we let them. Once we started "the way of life"(sounds like a cult!! LoL...)the boys were not haveing it! Oh how they rebeled!!! We decided as parents, WE were responsible for their well being, and one of their biggest things, well my youngest ones problem was bread! He made ALOT of sandwhiches at one time! and bread has between 18-22 carbs(I do not read labels, I do not read labels!!)So we thought, if we don't buy it and bring it in the house, they can't eat it! So we figured, we were aiding and embeding the problem, and we were slowly getting back into the old habbits, till we started literally feeling horribly sick afterwords, and said that was enough! (don't mean to rambel, but Doug makes it soooo easy to loose weight!!)So now, we use lettuce for bread, and gigi bread. and my eating habbits have changed drastically!! I go  by what makes me full rather than what I want to eat! There is a difference! and you are never hungry! That's the amazing part! Now, the kids are in it full swing, of course they have to taste test EVERYTHING! LoL...If they don't like it, they make lettuce wrap sandwhiches! But we are all a Fat To Skinny household now!!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 09:34:39 AM »
I am so proud of you snobles ;)

snobles

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 09:39:29 AM »
Thanks Umpa! Wasn't it Katary that said, you have to give in to the lifestyle?  ;D Well, I finally did!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 12:41:53 PM »
Hi Lady Pantera! Havein 2 overweight teenagers myself, that would eat from sunup from sundown if we let them. Once we started "the way of life"(sounds like a cult!! LoL...)the boys were not haveing it! Oh how they rebeled!!! We decided as parents, WE were responsible for their well being, and one of their biggest things, well my youngest ones problem was bread! He made ALOT of sandwhiches at one time! and bread has between 18-22 carbs(I do not read labels, I do not read labels!!)So we thought, if we don't buy it and bring it in the house, they can't eat it! So we figured, we were aiding and embeding the problem, and we were slowly getting back into the old habbits, till we started literally feeling horribly sick afterwords, and said that was enough! (don't mean to rambel, but Doug makes it soooo easy to loose weight!!)So now, we use lettuce for bread, and gigi bread. and my eating habbits have changed drastically!! I go  by what makes me full rather than what I want to eat! There is a difference! and you are never hungry! That's the amazing part! Now, the kids are in it full swing, of course they have to taste test EVERYTHING! LoL...If they don't like it, they make lettuce wrap sandwhiches! But we are all a Fat To Skinny household now!!

That's fantastic, Stephanie! :) :) :) :)

Before FTS, would you have ever imagined your teenagers making lettuce wrap sandwiches? ;D ;D ;D

snobles

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 12:51:03 PM »
@Mouseissue, NOPE!! Or cauliflower taters!! LoL...But everything we've tried, even tofu, is really good! So it makes it not hard!! LoL...

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 01:03:31 PM »
@Mouseissue, NOPE!! Or cauliflower taters!! LoL...But everything we've tried, even tofu, is really good! So it makes it not hard!! LoL...

So true! ;)

LadyPantera

• View Profile
    • Lice Busters
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 03:43:09 AM »
Sorry for the delayed reply.  I'm at the San Diego Comic-Con have been quite busy.  The brand of coconut flour is Coconut Secret.  I really want to make those cauliflower mashed potatoes.  I know that I will have to make them and wait for my daughter's approval before revealing that they were made with cauliflower.  My daughter is the type that won't even try something if she thinks that she won't like it.  Luckily, she is quite receptive to the idea of exchanging the things that she loves with look-a-likes.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 09:38:01 AM »
How much fun! :) Make sure when you make the cauli potatoes you dress them like you normally would her "real potatoes" ;) My grandson loves this recipe!