Author Topic: Scott in Florida - 33 weeks  (Read 3237 times)

scottinflorida

Scott in Florida - 33 weeks
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:35:15 AM »
Thanks everyone for the nice comments from last week's post (my "before and during" pictures).  As always, the support here is great and a lot of people here, in addition to me, are obviously seeing some great results.

This week, another 1.6 pounds gone.  This is yet another milestone - 60 pounds lost.  Sometimes I have a hard time believing this has actually happened!  Really enjoying the way I feel each day now.

My running is also progressing at a slow, controlled pace.  I am doing about 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 miles 3x per week in my funny-looking shoes (http://vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm).

Looking forward to another great week!

Scott

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Scott in Florida - 33 weeks
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:58:49 AM »
WTG, Scott!!! :) :) :)

Losing 60 pounds and being over 75% of the way to your goal are wonderful things to be happy about!
I'm happy for you too, buddy! :)
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 12:06:27 PM »
Congrats Scott! ;D
Which pair of the 5 finger shoes did you buy?Did they rub your toes when you first started wearing them? :)

scottinflorida

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 01:09:17 PM »
I got the Bikilas. You can order them online, but I decided to go to a local Vibram distributor so I could try them on first (the price is about the same either way, or at least it was a few months ago - I paid $100, about the price of a "regular" pair of running shoes).

When I bought mine I tried on a men's size 40 and they seemed okay so I took them.  I got to my car and put them on and walked around a bit, and I couldn't help feeling they were a bit too small.  I took them back in and got size 41, and those are perfect.  No problem with the individual toe compartments (although people that have toes that point in some different directions may find that they don't work that well).

The biggest thing to get used to is that you are using different muscles when you run.  That's why it is good to go into it very slowly, and I recommend starting off just running completely barefoot.  Even if you start off running for 30 seconds or a minute.  Then next week add a little more time, and so on.  You will feel it in your calf muscles.  Personally, I actually like a bit of muscle soreness throughout the day to remind me that I had a good run that morning  :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 09:00:13 AM »
I actually found a store that carries them near me so I am going to try them on next week.A lot of the ones I looked at on the website don't come in my size. I like the ones that are a full shoe,nott just a slipper type. ;)

scottinflorida

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 09:02:45 AM »
I actually found a store that carries them near me so I am going to try them on next week.A lot of the ones I looked at on the website don't come in my size. I like the ones that are a full shoe,nott just a slipper type. ;)

That is the very reason I chose the Bikilas; they are the "full" type.  The KSO is also like this.