Author Topic: FAT TO SKINNY Portion Sizes at a glance  (Read 47338 times)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
FAT TO SKINNY Portion Sizes at a glance
« on: April 27, 2010, 08:55:22 AM »

FAT TO SKINNY Portion Sizes At a glance

Common Equivilents

Fruits and Veggies

1 cup of chopped fruit=  A baseball
1 cup of chopped salad = A baseball
½  cup of cooked  veggies=    A tennis ball

Meat and Poultry

3 oz= A deck of cards
8oz= A small paperback book

Fish, Cheese and Nuts

3oz of fish= A checkbook
1 oz of cheese = 4 dice
1 oz of nuts = 2 ping pong balls    

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 08:50:52 AM by Doug Varrieur »
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

snobles

Re: FAT TO SKINNY Portion Sizes at a glance
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 11:43:40 PM »
THANKS DOUG! THAT REALLY HELPS!!! STILL GOING! HUSBAND HAS LOST QUITE A BIT OF WEIGHT! SO HAPPY FOR HIM!! ;DHE WENT FROM 325 TO 305!!! AMAZING!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
Well, hello there, I was wondering where you disappeared to :) Good to see you back. Good news on hubby's weight loss...I want you to keep tweeking and stay the course,did you get rid of those pre-made meals for work and replace them with something else yet?

snobles

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 12:51:53 AM »
Boy Doug, you can read me like a book!! haha...I have! What we decided to do was, make enough at dinner, and take some leftovers for work! I think that's how I lost the little bit of weight! It was hard to do, because, it is "quick and easy", but then again, so are your dinners! and they taste better than the premade dinners! I was discouraged for a little bit, is why I haven't been on much, but when I got on that scale today, I'm not an everyday scaler! but I saw the 2lbs. lost! I was grinning from ear to ear! So, I'm on the right path now! Thanks for your concern and your encouraging words! I love reading all the posts! They are very helpful! and thank you for all the research you do! Wow...That's a lot of research!!!
Hope you guys are doing good!!!
Stephanie

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:57:32 AM »
You are very welcome :) your good health is a priority for all of us here at the forum, we are all one big family. Continue to do your part, help other people and don't "kid" yourself. If the scale's not dropping the culprit is on your plate. I'm proud of you for hanging in there and getting past your first round of demons!

UFGatorJenn

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:29:58 AM »
I just found this post and it's very helpful...thanks Doug.

Jenn

DoreenBar

• MSN Messenger - halfway37@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 09:20:03 AM »
Portions is something I need to be very aware of..I never go off the food plan its just the way I eat now and love it...But even after almost 7 months portions is something I stray here and there from but do get back on track when I see the scale not moving...And sure enuff it starts moving again...Thank goodness though Im over doing it with veggies right...lol
Live each day as if it was on purpose.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 09:36:26 AM »
You have the knowledge Doreen you will do just fine! ;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 11:56:08 AM »
Portion control problems come in two forms.... A- (eyes are bigger than stomach) Allowing yourself to get too hungry before eating which leads to putting much more food on your plate then you need and B-(speed eating) eating too fast which leads to seconds.

How to avoid these traps;

#1- Never allow yourself to become ravenous, know your feeding schedule by running the "am I truly hungry" experiment and write down your personal feeding times....then eat within those parameters. If you can't eat a meal at the appropriate time grab a low carb snack to tide you over. My personal favorite is Beef Jerky.

#2- If you find yourself ravenous make a plate, then cut it in half...I call it "half a dat" and set aside the second plate......WAIT 15 MINUTES after eating the first plate before you touch the second one. Only eat more if you are truly hungry.

#3- Try and eat slower, a good way to get into the habit is to take a drink of water between every bite remembering to drop your utensils to the table each time. It may not seem like much but you accomplish two things, you get plenty of water and you buy time. 

Tambura

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 06:01:45 PM »
Hi
got the book about 2 weeks ago, havent had any sugar,bread,rice,flour since then. My blood sugar level had been out of control, now it always in the low normal range. However i dont seem to be losing weight, i feel like i lose some inches, but my weight is the same. can that be true? what am I doing wrong? Help please!
Work hard, play hard!

birdkk

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 06:18:58 PM »
I am new to this forum and i am going to start you losing weight but need help. I am nit sure where to start i read your book. Do you have a samole menu thanks

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 07:37:44 PM »
Welcome Tambura and Birdkk!Nice to have you here! I am Dougs wife and if I can help please ask.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa.I can help you convert your favorite recipes to fat to skinny friendly or give you general advice if you are lost! :D
The best place to start is to read the book and just do it!Use the forum for questions.There are sample menus in the book and lots of recipes on the forum.
Tambura it is very common for women to lose inches before they lose pounds during the detox phase.It takes about 2 weeks to detox from the sugar.You have won half the battle,if your blood sugar is normal.If you are working the plan and not losing weight you are missing something.Keep a food diary on the forum with the other ladies and by posting it we will be able to see where you are getting hidden sugars.If there are any foods you are missing from your old life don't hesitate to ask we have recipes for just about everything! ;D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 08:44:11 AM »
Umpa is correct Tambura, seeing your blood sugar balance is step #1, now your body will need to find the fuel elsewhere and we all know where that "elsewhere" is  ;)  Stay the course!

Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 01:06:59 PM »
Hi Doug I am new to your website and have been on your program for 9 wks and
have lost 19.5 lbs but I am also at a plateau.  I would like to know how you
and your mother lost all your weight as it is rather hard to realize you could both have lost so much weight in such a short time.  Did you eat all the food
you reccomend in your fast and easy book.  I have been at this plateau for over
a month and I know what you mean regarding changing activity etc.  What I would
like to know is what you and your mother's menu was to loose all your weight as
I have a long way to go.  I stay at 20 carbs. 

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 03:06:12 PM »
Hi Lee, It's different for all of us. It depends on our personal metabolisms, activity level and our tolerance to sugar. One thing is certain however and you can take this fact as gospel.

If you're gaining weight you're eating more sugar than you're burning. If you're not losing weight but not gaining weight you're burning what you're taking in...no more no less. If you're losing weight then you're burning all your sugar PLUS additional stored sugar (FAT) for fuel.

You have three choices if you wish to continue losing weight.

Door#1- Reduce sugar until the scale starts to drop.

Door#2- Leave your carb intake the same and increase activity until the scale starts to drop.

Door#3- Reduce sugar AND increase activity. The scale will drop faster

It's as simple as that Lee :) make some moves...pick a door and your plateau will break.   Check out Katary's post entitled April 12th

http://fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=169.0
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:08:16 PM by Doug Varrieur »