Author Topic: Fasting/Starvation techniques to lose-weight FACTS  (Read 47999 times)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Fasting/Starvation techniques to lose-weight FACTS
« on: March 04, 2011, 09:55:15 AM »
I've read several threads asking about stalled weight loss due to lack of food intake. Here's the facts,

The body has been designed over the centuries to hold onto weight temporarily during time frames of starvation or fasting. It's pretty simple really. Our metabolisms slow down when the body senses that it's being denied the food it needs to function so it burns less fuel.  Now notice I said temporarily. The reason I point this out is because the body WILL do what it needs to do to survive and YES the body will use the fat as fuel to survive. It must, and that's pretty easy to understand. The body will first use any stored glycogen (short term energy stores) then it will burn stored fat as fuel. Fasting and Starvation however is a lousy way to lose weight and ultimately will always backfire. Once a person starts eating again the hormones kick in, the metabolism speeds up and gorging/binging occurs. Ultimately the weight lost during a fast is usually regained and then some.

So, is it true that weight loss on the FTS program can stall due to lack of food? If you follow the guidelines for portion control outlined here- http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=233.0 the answer is NO. The metabolism "slow down kick in key" comes in the form of zero food intake, not well balanced controlled portion intake. It's important to point this out because I don't want you to use it as an excuse to load up your plates. "I'm not dropping weight so I need more food" is a fallacy IF you're following the program properly. Trust me, starving peoples in third world countries are not fat.  

Eating a lack of dense protein is usually the culprit when someone feels their weight loss has been stalled by lack of food. Dense protein helps to speed up the metabolism naturally simply because the body needs to rev up the engine to digest and metabolize it. Smaller portions (6oz) per serving is generally enough to fill your needs and you should never exceed 8oz at a sitting. Heck that's a half pound of meat, fish, or poultry or soy! Making certain dense protein is part of your daily intake will help insure that your protein food needs are met and will keep the metabolism in check.

Next on the list are healthy fats. Once again the body needs to work hard to metabolize fats. Make certain to take in a portion of fats during the day. Most of us achieve this through cheeses, olive oil, animal fats and nuts/seeds.

For all you salad eaters out there who believe big salads are the key to weight loss....think again. Sugar and carbs add up quickly in your salad bowl, the body metabolizes the food quickly leaving you hungry again and you don't fill your nutrition needs.

Conversely TO MUCH FOOD will stall your weight loss. If you find yourself at a stall AND your food intake is well balanced as prescribed within FTS then eat only when you're hungry, look at the portions on your plate, cut them back and follow the 15 minute rule.

To lose weight you must eat less than your body needs for fuel daily. This is the key to forcing the body to use stored FAT as fuel.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:01:01 AM by Doug Varrieur »
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Rena

Re: Fasting/Starvation techniques to lose-weight FACTS
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 11:14:02 AM »
Thanks, Doug.

I knew a lot of this from my old days with Herbalife. For me recently, I had cut down a little on how much I ate because I had jumped up 2 pounds. I was still eating mostly protein though. I realized what I was doing and started eating my normal sized portions again. And today, I am happy to say I am right back to where I should be. Maybe I'll hit that 50-pound mark soon!  :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 02:55:34 PM »
Thanks for clarifying this point, Doug!

Like everything else in our lives, we need to balance our food consumption using moderation.
Too much or too little of something we need is not good for us.
What you do today is what matters!

traci

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 09:13:19 AM »
Hi Doug. Could you clarify what can be high carb in salads? My weight loss has sort of stalled but I do eat salads quite a bit - but not the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink kind. I usually just have lettuce, a little cheese, grilled chicken, sometimes a little olive or onion, and dressing. Does that sound ok? Could I possibly be eating too many vegetables? I also eat a lot of broccoli and cabbage.

Thanks!
traci

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 09:38:17 AM »
This is the FTS veggie list from page 104 in the book, all servings in this list are 1/2 cup. Add up what your salads contain and you may be surprised.  ;) If you don't find your problem here, keep digging. You should also review the "weight loss stalled board" from the home page down the bottom.

Welcome to the forum! Don't be a stranger :) :)

Artichoke hearts                                      2 net carbs
Asparagus (fresh) 5 spears                       2 net carbs
Beans, green (fresh)                                  3 net carbs
Bean sprouts                                             2 net carbs
Bok Choy                                                 .2 net carbs
Broccoli (fresh)                                         2 net carbs
Cabbage (all kinds)                                1.5 net carbs
Cauliflower                                            1.5 net carbs
Celery 2 stalks                                        1.5 net carbs
Chard (Swiss)                                        1.5 net carbs
Chayote squash                                        2 net carbs
Collard greens                                          2 net carbs
Cucumber                                                 1 net carbs
Eggplant                                                   2 net carbs
Fennel root                                               2 net carbs
Garlic 1 clove                                             1 net carb
Jicama root                                            2.5 net carbs
Lettuce (all)                                             .5 net carbs
Mushrooms                                               2 net carbs
Okra                                                          3 net carbs
Onions                                                       5 net carbs
Peppers, bell (red or green)                      3 net carbs
Pumpkin meat                                          4 net carbs
Radicchio                                                   1 net carb
Radishes                                                     1 net carb
Scallions                                                 2.5 net carbs
Snow peas                                                 3.4 net carbs
Spinach (fresh)                                         .3 net carbs
Spinach (frozen)                                       2 net carbs
Squash (spaghetti)                                    4 net carbs
Squash (yellow)                                     1.5 net carbs
Squash (Zucchini)                                 1.5 net carbs
Tofu                                                        2.5 net carbs
Tomato (1 small)                                       3 net carbs
Turnip                                                   2.5 net carbs
Turnip (greens)                                          1 net carb
Watercress                                                0 net carbs

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 12:35:17 PM »
Welcome to the family, traci!  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Doug's right!
Plateaus are often research opportunities!

Most of us must pay close attention to EVERYTHING we put in our mouths.

I've been living the FTS lifestyle since 08/06/2010 and I STILL write down everything I eat.
I also record "HOW MUCH" I eat of each item.
Overeating low carb foods will cause plateaus and sometimes some weight gain.

Doing this has helped me break free of a number of plateaus.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 09:30:54 AM »
Veggies to avoid; VERY HIGH in sugar due to high starch

Corn
Peas
Hard squash
Carrots
Parsnips
Potatoes
Beets

Use Onions, tomato and garlic in moderation

Rena

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 09:36:19 AM »
I was really surprised to see how much onions were. I don't even want to know what the count is for a single onion ring.  :o

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 09:42:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum Traci! I am umpa, dougs wife.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where i can help you convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.If I can help you please ask :)

DebbieR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 05:21:05 AM »
Wow, great tips in here.  Before it's really hard for me to control my appetite in eating high-calorie and sweet foods. I really crave to eat chocolates and ice creams. But later, I realized that I am getting bigger and bigger already. Most most my friends always bully me and that pushed me to look over the net about fat burning exercises tips. After few months of proper exercise and a healthy diet, I really turned "sexy" and my friends really shocked about my appearance. From now on, I already have the control of what I am going to eat. Our health is very important, so it is a must that we have to take care of it.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 09:08:26 AM »
There is nothing you want to eat that we don't have a replacement for.The Fat to Skinny Bakery book will give you all the sweets and ice creams you want.Hi I am umpa.dougs wife.I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.If I can help you please ask. ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 12:39:52 PM »
Welcome to the family, Debbie! :) :) :) :) :) :)

You will find the most supportive group of people on the planet at this forum.
We are all here to help each other make the FTS lifestyle a lifelong success.

Looking forward to hearing about your FTS journey!

Tony

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2012, 04:23:22 PM »
Time to re-evaluate for me since i have been stalled for 2 months. thanks doug!

stuckonstitchen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 03:01:34 PM »
Hello, My name is Cyndi and I am in week two of a Fat to Skinny life.  I read to book 2 years ago but had  family challenges in my life that superseded my need to be healthy for others need to be taken care of.  Now I am focusing on my health.  I have allergies to tons of stuff and gluten issues as well so I really like what you say about only eating when hungry,  I was so tired of trying to plan 3 meals a day plus two snacks, that would fit with in my guidelines.
 I started with breakfast and then waited to get hungry like you said in the book, it seems to me that after my cup of coffee in the morning, I am not hungry until around noon.  I will then go the rest of the day without being hungry until late evening if at all.
 Should I eat at least 2 meals a day? 1 meal and a snack? or really wait until I am hungry.  I have been doing a lot more moving in the evenings than I have been used to this week trying to get the home ready for an appraisal.  But for the last three days I haven't lost a speck of weight.  I am eating only protein and veggies.  My protein is in the form of chicken, pork or beef.  There will be no legumes for me and I am allergic to soy.
  But I haven't been hungry in the mornings until  this morning.  My blood glucose this morning after my coffee was 96 (yeah) and then at mid morning after part of a protein drink it was 86.  Should I keep eating just when hungry?

shawn116

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 08:24:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum Cyndi!!   ;D  Basically yes...you should only eat when you are hungry.  It is surprising how little we really need.  I usually don't get hungry myself until 11.  Be sure to take your measurements.  Your body will be going through a lot of changes and sometimes the inches will move before the weight.  Be sure to come in often.  I look forward to hearing about your journey to the new you  :)