Author Topic: High Cholesterol problem?....the doctors office is calling - Yikes!  (Read 2943 times)

ausgirl

• Keep the faith, stay the course, spread the word
    • View Profile
I had to get some blood work done a week or so ago and I got a call today from the Doc's office - not urgent, but he wants me to come in to discuss my cholesterol.  Uh-oh, looks like I might have high cholesterol?

I have searched through the many posts and I can see that I can continue on with the FTS lifestyle - but how do I tell my Doctor exactly what I'm doing?  This might be a stupid question, but I'm in Canada and I'm not too sure there's as many of us that have read the book here as there are in the States.

I'm just wondering if he's going to tell me I have to give up cheese, butter, cream (not that I use a lot of cream), but you see where I'm coming from?  There all the things that I'm sure I've heard people say in the past that they had to give it up when told their cholesterol was high?

HELP!  Any suggestions?
Ausgirl

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: High Cholesterol problem?....the doctors office is calling - Yikes!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 09:12:26 AM »
Take the book with you and have him contact Doug with any questions.  dougvarrieur@fattoskinny.com

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:54:50 PM »
Before I started FTS last year, I asked my doc about low carb eating.
He balked at first with the idea.
He recommended the "Mediterranean Diet" (a rather high carb diet plan).

When I came back to see him a couple of weeks into the FTS lifestyle, he was impressed with the improvements to my blood panel and told me to keep doing whatever I'm doing.

I'll be seeing home again next month... Can't wait!!!  ;D
I think I'll be able to make a believer out of him.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 01:31:42 PM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

ausgirl

• Keep the faith, stay the course, spread the word
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 07:18:26 PM »
Thanks for your reply mouseissue, I was thinking the exact same thing.
I start a new job next week and asking for time off to visit the Doctor straight away is not something I can do (and its not possible to go at lunchtime), so I was thinking of changing the appointment to, say a month away instead of 2 weeks and tell him my results and tell him what I'm doing.  Maybe even tell him I want my blood work done again and see what he thinks.
Thanks for listening everyone
Ausgirl

institches9709

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 09:49:03 PM »
Before I started this program, my cholorestal was good, now the LDL (lousy one) is higher and the doctor asked me if I stopped taking my Lipitor?  I then told him what I was doing as I had losst 13 # by then.

He said that he has seen maybe 1 in 10 people that follow this type of program and the cholorestal gets worse instead of better.  However, he also told me to keep on doing what I am doing and he also thought that maybe my body was just adjusting as I continue to lose weight.  He wants to check me in 4 months instead of 6 and said he would even consider raising my Lipitor dose since I am on the lowest amt. Of course, I wanted to be off of it completely as I hate taking any kind of medicine.  So I will just have to try  a little harder and be a little more patient, which is hard for me at times.

I do feel lots better and not so sluggish so changes are happening.  Hang in there and good luck.

Rena

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 11:04:38 PM »
Good luck!

If you eat a lot of eggs, you might want to switch (or at least rotate) to a liquid one that is lower in cholesterol.

institches9709

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 11:21:58 PM »
Thanks Rena,

I've been using egg beaters and if hard boiled, throwing away the yolk for now.  They are pretty tasty once you get used to them.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 12:57:49 PM »
Before I started this program, my cholorestal was good, now the LDL (lousy one) is higher and the doctor asked me if I stopped taking my Lipitor?  I then told him what I was doing as I had losst 13 # by then.

He said that he has seen maybe 1 in 10 people that follow this type of program and the cholorestal gets worse instead of better.  However, he also told me to keep on doing what I am doing and he also thought that maybe my body was just adjusting as I continue to [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]lose weight[/url].  He wants to check me in 4 months instead of 6 and said he would even consider raising my Lipitor dose since I am on the lowest amt. Of course, I wanted to be off of it completely as I hate taking any kind of medicine.  So I will just have to try  a little harder and be a little more patient, which is hard for me at times.

I do feel lots better and not so sluggish so changes are happening.  Hang in there and good luck.

Hi Again, institches9709!  :)

In another post you discussed this and I responded (http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=2086.msg18631#msg18631).

Please post your food intake as requested so we can look at it.

You're doctor may be right about your cholesterol as your body is going through adjustments during weight loss.
Although not probable, since no two of us are alike, it is within the realm of possibility.
What you do today is what matters!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 05:00:45 PM »
I'm going to guess that your Triglycerides were out of wack for a long time....your numbers should balance out as they drop back into the 65 range. What were they running?
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)