Author Topic: I'm doing great, now I need some tips on how to convince my hubby...  (Read 3957 times)

ausgirl

• Keep the faith, stay the course, spread the word
    • View Profile
Hi everyone
I've hit the ground running on my new lifestyle, but unfortunately (even though he knows he should be following my lead) my husband hasn't quite got to the point that I have and begun living the FTS lifestyle.
I am not letting his evil ways sway me at all, I just wanted some tips on how I can convince him to become sugar/carb free.
He needs to lose weight, his cholesterol is high, but he LOVES chocolate and bread, and as a Canadian, is a typical (why would you cook from scratch when there's so many easier options out there).
I have always been a cook from scratch girl, and I do all the cooking, so he is actually eating what I eat at dinner time (if I have a cooked meal), however because he works shift work, takes sandwiches etc. to eat while at work.
I purchased an Atkins DVD for $1 not so long ago, and we watched it together and he was pretty gung-ho to start, but always just goes the easy option.  I'm not stressing about it, because this is my health, my body and I'm ready to do something about it.  I'm making positive changes and introducing him to it too, its just the other meals in the day that I worry about.  He had a visit with his 13 year old daughter last night - they had McDonalds (I told them to eat it there, I don't care for it anyway, but did not want to be around it) and I had my (yukky! lol) pasta....
Any advice would be appreciated on how you might have got through to your "other halves"!
Ausgirl

joagain

Re: I'm doing great, now I need some tips on how to convince my hubby...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 10:03:09 AM »
I know I tried with my husband he will eat things I make but he will not stop with the junk he brings to work and eats at tnight . I stopped trying If I make the FTS mac & cheese or roasted cauli he eats it or dont . Tyler has went with the program quite a bit but he still dont like veggies . But has cut his carbs quite a bit .
 His 24 hour insulin has went down 3 units and his meal insulin has went from a daily total of 30-40 to 10-30 he is a teen and still wants to go out with his dad and he makes poor choices but he is trying .
 So I worry about myself and Tyler & hope & pray my husband comes around  . His supper is pretty much low/no carb .

ausgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 10:05:34 AM »
Thanks for your input Jo, I'm just thinking I shouldn't try to make him do something he doesn't want to - cos we all know that we have to be ready in ourselves to make changes.
Hopefully the proof will be in the "pudding" so to speak, and this "pudding" will be less of a pudding soon and give him the motivation he needs?
Ausgirl

SherriPie

• Global Moderator
  • Start today, change your tomorrow
    • View Profile
    • Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:18:04 AM »
My husband was the king of junk food. He loved potato chips and candy. When I first started it was really hard because he was still eating the same stuff around me. Slowly though he saw the changes in me and started eating healthier. He still eats junk from time to time at lunch but all in all he is doing great. Not even trying he's lost 20 pounds and that's just a by product of being around me. My son though loves FTS, he's a meat-egg-and-cheese kinda kid. He's not heavy so he's not loosing but the less sugar has really helped with his focus issues.

So hang in there. Once your guy see's how well you're feeling and all the good stuff you're eating he'll hop right on board.
Check out my latest book on my Author Page at Amazon.com!
http://www.amazon.com/Sherri-Ann-Smith/e/B009G5C0SU/

Or read my weekly column "Byte of Life" at the Feminine Collective
http://femininecollective.com/byte-life-sa-smith/

ausgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 10:22:51 AM »
Thanks Sherripie, I appreciate your response.  I am thinking that it will help when he sees how I'm doing.
Ausgirl

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:29:13 AM »
Losing weight is a personal choice...you've made that choice now stick to it and lead the way. At some point your husband will follow....but if he doesn't that's his choice not yours. I find people who lead by example and realize for the first time in their lives that they are losing weight for themselves and no one else tend to be more successful in the long run.

Of course you can always buy him a T Back and ask him to put it on!  :o :o :o  ;)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

ausgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 10:32:05 AM »
OMG yikes!  Please don't make me do that Doug!
I totally agree.  I know its taken me 47 years to get to this point and decide that this is for me - NO ONE ELSE!  So I should just let him find his way too.
Ausgirl

joagain

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 10:34:29 AM »
That is right sister !

owensmath

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 10:38:06 AM »
My husband loves the delicious foods that I make, so he eats FTS lifestyle foods most of the time. I know that he doesn't always do it when I'm not with him. For instance, my son told me that he saw him eat a hamburger and small fry from McDonald's the other night. His choice... oh well....

He feels pretty crappy when he eats non FTS stuff, so maybe he'll figure it out on his own.

ausgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 10:39:36 AM »
LOL Owensmath - talk about busted!
Thanks for your input - I love this forum!
Ausgirl

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 03:11:18 PM »
Hi ausgirl!  :)

Doug is right on about doing this for yourself and no one else.
That way it is NOT dependent on what anyone else says or does.

Your best testimony is not what you say, but what you do.

By living the FTS lifestyle and losing your excess weight, your hubby will see the results for himself.
At some point, he too will have to decide whether to follow your lead or keep doing his own thing.
The choice will (and MUST) be his and his alone.
What you do today is what matters!

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 03:40:18 PM »
uhhhhhhhh.... just call him "fatty" whenever you see him eating crap:)

ausgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 03:55:48 PM »
Not nice Katary, I wouldn't appreciate that from him, lol.  He's very supportive and loves me just the way I am, I am thankful for that...
Ausgirl

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 04:07:41 PM »
lol..... i know i was kidding:) that being said..... a healthy husband/wife will be around alot longer than ..... well you know:(

ausgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 10:09:36 PM »
I knew you were kidding.....baby steps I think, and he'll make the decision himself
Ausgirl