Author Topic: Peanut Brittle  (Read 4692 times)

paulachappell

• View Profile
    • An Ounce of Heart Knowledge
Peanut Brittle
« on: December 04, 2010, 05:13:57 PM »
We found some See's sugar free peanut brittle and now I am on a mission to find a good recipe.  The only one I could find calls for  1 TBS corn syrup!  Anyone have a recipe?

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Peanut Brittle
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 05:34:32 PM »
Hi Paula!  :)

I would think Umpa (Sherri) would have one if anyone did.
A short time ago, she said she (and Doug) are quite busy these days and asked that recipe requests be e-mailed to her so that she would see them.

Did you send this to Umpa's e-mail address (sherri@varrieur.com) too?
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:01:58 AM »
No tony we always have time for you guys!! What I said was that if I miss your post and you don't here from me within 24 hours send me a email.I don't always get all the new posts when I check in.
 As far as peanut brittle I havent tried that yet,but ask umpa on the homepage and it will go on my list.I still am on carrot cake.I put the zuchinni in the dehydrator and they disapeered! We have snow here so doug went out to get some more so i could try again.I would love to make some peanut brittle for my dad.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:56:25 PM »
No tony we always have time for you guys!! What I said was that if I miss your post and you don't here from me within 24 hours send me a email.I don't always get all the new posts when I check in....

Sorry 'bout the misunderstanding, Sherri. :-[
Guess I had a "senior moment".

What you do today is what matters!

paulachappell

• View Profile
    • An Ounce of Heart Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 06:32:01 AM »
Thanks umpa, I know you are busy and I just thought maybe someone on the forum had a recipe.  I tried the one I found that uses a trace amount of corn syrup but it came out chewy...not my idea of optimum peanut brittle.  The See's was very good but also very expensive.  I think theirs had maltitol in it.

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2

joagain

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 07:34:11 AM »
Have yall seen this one

This is one I made a while back that was really good - if the maltitol scares ya, maybe Kevin or Scott will tweak on it with alternative AS!

Sugar Free Nut Brittle

1 cup Maltitol
1/4 cup water
1 cup nuts of your choice - macadamias, almonds, pecans, etc. or a mix
1 tsp. butter
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla

In a nonstick deep sauce pan, combine together Maltitol and water - place on high heat. Stir once every few minutes, using a wooden spoon; the mixture will come to a boil and should boil for about 7 to 10 minutes,until it reaches the hard crack stage (A drop of it will immediately harden in cold water).

Once it reaches hard crack stage, remove from heat and add baking soda, butter and vanilla, stirring well. MIXTURE WILL FOAM UP WHEN ADDING BAKING SODA! BE CAREFUL! Then add the NUTS, stir quickly and pour onto buttered cookie sheet; quickly spread into a thin layer. Let sit till cool and then break apart into serving-sized pieces. Store in air-tight containers. Are you can buy it  LOL

http://secure.oregonbrand.com/country_candy_kitchen/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=54

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 07:37:44 AM by joagain »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 09:15:34 AM »
I tried a candy recipe with xylitol similiar to this and it did not work.It didnt reach the crack stage.I couldnt get it over 190 without iit scorching.
Tony no problem! :) You are a great help and I appreciate you very much! ;D

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 01:46:42 PM »
I stumbled across Russell Stover SF Peanut Brittle on the internet today.  I haven't seen it in the stores but I checked and Netrition sells it in the US http://www.netrition.com/rs_sf_peanut_brittle.html as well as the Low Carb Grocery in Canada http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=russell+stover+peanut+brittle. 

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 02:03:23 PM »
Could you use sugar free maple syrup instead of corn syrup?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 08:57:43 AM »
You could try beebs.The Russell Stovers is very good,but portion control.It is a malitol product. ;)