Author Topic: Powdered Sugar Substitute  (Read 5641 times)

CaliGirl

• Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
    • View Profile
Powdered Sugar Substitute
« on: October 31, 2010, 02:24:36 PM »
Umpa or anyone --
Is there a substitute for powdered sugar? The cookies I'm trying to convert -  in their full sugar version uses powdered sugar, which makes them melt in your mouth, was wondering if there is a substitute?  Thanks
Jeremiah 29:11-14

beebs

• View Profile
Re: Powdered Sugar Substitute
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 03:28:11 PM »
Wouldnt that be nice. You could probably get powered erythritol but it makes with the tummy aches..... :-X

Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:41:15 PM »
Just wondering,can you grind xylitol in the food processor and will it be powdery?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 06:51:04 PM »
I think schihtzumom did that JoAnne.I haven't tried it.I try to keep the xylitol and sweetners to a minimum and I just omit powdered sugar altogether.I have one recipe that called for powdered sugar,not as a topping but in the recipe, and I subsituted vanilla protien powder and xylitol mixed. ;)

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 12:16:35 PM »
that's an excellent idea...never thought of that..vanilla protein powder
Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 08:50:37 PM »
Umpa, I'm trying to convert my polvorones recipe over, is there a set ratio for the mix of vanilla protein powder to xylitol? I'd like to try this. Thanks

Oh CaliGirl... I think smell your cookin'!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Not to jump over Umpa's response, but the answer lies in how sweet you like your cookies.

When using xylitol in the main recipe, keep in mind that xylitol is about twice as sweet as table sugar.
So about half as much would be used (depending on how sweet you like your polvorones).

Protein powders vary in "sweetness" depending on which (and how much) sweetener is used in it.
When used with xylitol, if you don't like overly sweet cookies, you must be careful to not over-do it.

Stevia is much sweeter than Xylitol and works as a great substitute for confectioner's (powdered) sugar when mixed with some powdered vanilla whey protein.
The balance of each depends on your preference of "sweetness".
I like about 1 part Stevia to 8 parts protein powder ratio. And that will vary depending on the recipe.
You might like more or less.

Experiment... Make small batches until you find that "magic" combo of sweetness that works for you!
Just clean (rinse) your palate with plain water between taste tests or it will all taste the same.
What you do today is what matters!

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 11:31:53 PM »
great information to know...I am always learning something on here!
Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!

CaliGirl

• Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 02:18:52 PM »
Are you a polvorones fan Mouseissue?  If I get this recipe figured out I'll share it.

Thanks for all the great information. I'd really like them to taste as much like the original as possible. The original recipe uses 1 1/2 pounds of powdered sugar so they are pretty rich and sweet. The protein powder I have is Designer Whey Vanilla and also have the Designer Whey Natural which has no flavor, so I guess I will have to play around with the recipe. Like Bev shared, just a waste of expensive and perfectly good ingredients - I'd rather not do, so the less trial and error the better  ;D Thanks so much for the input! BTW the cranberry "sauce" came out nasty without the pureed cranberries. The texture was all wrong. Like putting flavored melting jello on your turkey (yuck!)
Jeremiah 29:11-14

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 02:34:15 PM »
Are you a polvorones fan Mouseissue?  If I get this recipe figured out I'll share it....

Yes and I'll be looking forward to it!  :)
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 03:47:35 PM »
My polvorones are in the bakery book under fall spice balls.I omitted the powdered sugar and used a cinnamon/xylitol mix.(50/50) They were beautiful!