Author Topic: Thanksgiving Recipes Canadian and American Post yours here  (Read 30198 times)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thanksgiving Recipes Canadian and American Post yours here
« on: September 15, 2010, 09:27:07 AM »
This is the  place to post your Thanksgiving recipes .Ones you have created or ones you want converted.Doug and I will be posting a traditional canadian meal and an american meal complete with desserts.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Thanksgiving Recipes Canadian and American Post yours here
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 09:49:09 AM »
STUFFING REPLACEMENT- Stuffing replacement- saute 2-3pounds of your favorite sausage 0 sugar meat in a skillet, drain the fat. Add 1/4 cup of chopped onion, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts and a tablespoon of ground sage....mix well then season to taste with additional herbs of your pleasure....stuff the bird and roast.

GOBBLE...GOBBLE!

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:50:35 AM »
GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE

Green bean casserole- replace the mushroom soup with home made mushroom soup. Microwave 2 cups of sliced mushrooms in a glass covered bowl with a couple of tablespoons of water in the bottom for 3-5 minutes on high. strain the mushrooms well, they are now reduced to a cup and much of the water is gone. Melt 1/4 butter in a skillet, add the mushrooms and 3/4 cups heavy cream, bring to heat but not boiling....salt and pepper to taste.  If all of that work doesn't interest you the Mushroom Alfredo Sauce doctored with more shroons works well too.

Topping, rough crunch up a bag of pork rinds and coat them well with onion powder...sprinkle over the top and bake.

GOBBLE GOBBLE

izzet

• Global Moderator
  • Just Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Sweet-Tooth Salvation
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 11:06:19 AM »
THANK YOU THANK YOU!
Peace and blessings,

IzzeT

Total Lost on FTS 37lbs: Maintaining size 8 and feeling great!

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:33:32 PM »
Umpa, I had made this recipe for Spinach Slaw for a dinner when we had company one time last year and everyone asked for the recipe after.  I thought it might be a good one to use for Thanksgiving instead of the standard cabbage coleslaw and need some help to convert it over.  The honey is the key ingredient because it gives the dressing a nice "sweet" taste and not sure what will give it that same taste.  It makes a huge amount of slaw, so I cut the amount of vegetables in half.  I still made the same amount of dressing to be sure to have enough.

SPINACH SLAW
12-16 Servings
Prep: 20 min. + chilling

Ingredients
8 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
5 cups shredded spinach
4 cups shredded red cabbage
3 cups shredded green cabbage
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup honey
3/4 to 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Directions
In a large bowl, toss lettuce, spinach and cabbage; cover and refrigerate. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients; cover and refrigerate. Just before serving, pour dressing over the salad and toss to coat (if you toss too early it will go too limp). Yield: 12-16 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 132 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 163 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:35:21 PM by Shihtzumom1 »

paulachappell

• View Profile
    • An Ounce of Heart Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 07:49:16 PM »
Hey Umpa, I was wondering about using the one minute muffins to make stove top stuffing.  I haven't tried it yet but I wonder if you could make the muffins and then crumble them up and bake them in the oven until they got toasty and then make  the stuffing on top of the stove.  What do you think?  I might give it a try this weekend.

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Romans 12:2

TTnomore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 08:01:47 PM »
Paula....that just might work....throw some poultry seasoning into the muffin mix....I love that muffin recipe....let us know about the toasting!!! ;)
Gail

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 08:59:07 AM »
OJ Shihtzumom1, this is the list you posted for a traditional Canadian Thanksgiving dinner; going over the list and reading your comments I think you have it under control. The lemon fluff will be like my strawberry mousse and will be wonderful, check the video out on the cooking show board and simply replace the strawberry jello with the lemon jello. The pumpkin cheesecake Umpa posted is wonderful and will replace the pie....but you can make a great sugar free crustless pumpkin pie if you wish. Pumpkin can also be served to replace the acorn squash and sweet potato! Ever eat pumpkin as a main course side dish?....delicious. Simply boil or bake, mash, add butter...a little xylitol and cinnamon. Baked beans can be replaced easily with the canned black soy beans. The wasabi cole slaw dressing in the book is excellent and very low sugar. If cranberry is important buy frozen berries, drop them into 1 inch of water in a saucepan, cover and cook till soft, mash and continue to cook till thick. remove from stove and sweeten to your taste with xylitol.

GOBBLE GOBBLE

Turkey, gravy, stuffing, cranberries, dinner rolls, mashed potatoes, cabbage rolls, corn, acorn squash, sweet potatoes, baked beans, coleslaw, devilled eggs, veggie tray, pumpkin pie, lemon meringue pie, apple pie...carbs, carbs, and more carbs...OMG I just gained 10 pounds typing these food items.  No wonder I put on weight!!!

I already know what to do for the gravy, stuffing and mashed potatoes.  And I'm sure I could figure out some cabbage rolls made with cauli-rice (I made stuffed peppers with this a few weeks ago).  I can live without corn, sweet potatoes and baked beans.  I just think I need help with coleslaw dressing and a fall-like dessert, does not have to be traditional pie with crust.  Something pumpkiny maybe.  I did come across a recipe for Lemon Fluff that was just heavy cream and SF lemon jello, that may take care of my lemon meringue pie needs.  Maybe something cinnamony would be a good substitute for apple pie.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 09:16:02 AM »
Paula try it and report back ;) Over the weekend i will be doing thanksgiving pies and will post ;)

romarc

• View Profile
    • Email
OMM Stuffing
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 12:28:13 PM »
I used the OMM (one minute muffin) recipe last week in baked chicken with stuffing/dressing.  My DH really liked it, but I thought it was pretty tasteless.  My holiday stuffing has been Pepperidge Farms cornbread mix, and I would add mushrooms, nuts, celery and raisins. Still trying to find a substitute for raisins...    The OMM stuffing I made was:

3 C OMM (approx. 6 muffins, I think – lost count)
3 C chopped celery
1 C chopped onion
¾ C melted butter
1 t. Nature’s Seasoning salt
1 ½ tsp poultry seasoning
1/3 C canned mushrooms
½ C walnuts
2 t. Better Than Bouillon (chicken flavor – didn’t have turkey flavor)
¾ hot water (used about ¼ c. mushroom juice, so water would be about ½ C)

Mix, put in pan with breaded chicken breasts on top, covered, baked 350 for 30 min.

IMO, it was kinda blah.  Maybe I needed to add more ingredients.  Hoping some of you will come up with something that tastes better, and post it in time for Thanksgiving. 

romarc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 11:27:07 AM »
Hi, Doug and Umpa!

Up above Doug mentions Umpa's Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe.  I can't seem to find the recipe in Search - would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction - thanks!  Sounds deelish! ;D

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »
OMM Muffin?

owensmath

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 01:23:08 PM »
OMM = one minute microwave

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »
Schitzumom I have recipes that require Honey and i use the sugar free honey from Netrition it is made from xylitol and is excellant ;)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 09:50:53 AM »
Romarc its in the cookbook, if you can't find it let me know and I will post it.Tonight I will be posting pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread.