Author Topic: How long to keep Jicama in frige?  (Read 10724 times)

romarc

• View Profile
    • Email
How long to keep Jicama in frige?
« on: July 20, 2010, 04:38:03 PM »
Hi, Umpa!

Either on the board or in Doug's book, I believe I read to parboil the Jicama, cool and store in refrigerate to last longer.  Any idea on how long it will stay edible when kept in the frig?  Just trying to figure out how many to buy, as I am having some trouble finding them.

Also, if the white turns a little brownish, is the jicama still o.k. to eat?

Thanks!

Jo

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How long to keep Jicama in frige?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 04:43:59 PM »
Once peeled and cooked I have kept jicama in the fridge up to two weeks.If you cut it and its brown, taste it, if its bitter return it to the store.It should taste crunchy , clean and sweet.You are welcome! ;D

romarc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 10:59:24 AM »
Only one Walmart carries jicama, and they only have 2 left.  Since it looks like my source is running out,  can I "freeze" jicama?  If so, what is the best way  ~  freeze raw..., parboil then freeze..., freeze shredded/cubed...?

romarc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 04:29:56 PM »
To answer my own question...  :D  Yes, jicama can be frozen.

I cooked peeled jicama in the pressure cooker for 1 1/2 hours to see if they would soften a little.  Those little goober tubers ;D did soften some and were the perfect texture for potato salad.  I grated the remaining jicama and froze in 1# packages for week-end breakfast fries.  They turned out pretty good - once thawed, they were alittle watery, but  I drained before tossing them in with bacon drippings.