FAT TO SKINNY LOW CARB Forum
November 17, 2017, 06:02:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
Best Low Carb Forum On The Web Loaded With Recipes and Support
Everyone who visits this low carb forum is welcome to join. Scroll down to see the boards
FAT TO SKINNY Books-BUY BOOKS HERE
FAT TO SKINNY HOME PAGE
Join The FAT TO SKINNY Facebook Fan Page FAN PAGE 
DONATE BUTTON- Donations are appreciated but not required. They are used to offset book giveaways to schools and kids.  THANKS!

Home   Help Search Calendar Advertise Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ah Caulifower, I remember you well  (Read 33 times)
morgan
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« on: November 11, 2017, 09:10:34 PM »

I made Caulifower hash browns the other day and they were so yum  - I then renenbered  how truly versatile this vegetable is. 

Considering this was my most hated vegetable when I was growing up.  I think my mother only served it boiled so that could explain a lot.  When I was older I tried cauli in cheese sauce - always a favourite - I think this changed my mind. 

When I started F2S I did cauli mash instead of potatoes and I enjoyed that:  I think I prefer it now to potato.  Then came cauli rice, which is really heaps better than stodgy white rice.  Cauli is also great in casseroles as a replacement for potato, but my hash browns(or substitute potato pancakes or fritters)  - yummo.  I hadn't made them in ages and forgot how great they were.

Now that it's almost summer here in Australia and the weather really is warming up - I've realised how easy it is to make coleslaw compared to the ones you buy already made.  I cannot believe the carb count!!!!   Do they add a spoonful of sugar prior to packaging?? either that or they use a really carb load mayo/dressing.

mouseissue
Global Moderator

Low Carb for Long Life!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 02:04:16 PM »

Hi, Morgan! Smiley

Cauliflower is one of the most versatile veggies we enjoy on FTS.
But don't forget turnips. They make great potato substitutes, especially when sliced and baked with a sharp cheddar cheese sauce for Turnip Au Gratin.

Most packaged foods have added sugar (of some kind).
In the case of coleslaw, prepared coleslaw with dressing is one the worst in veggies.
The coleslaw itself without dressing can be a bit high if they add a lot of carrot to it.
And 1 cup of cabbage alone, has about 3g net carbs.

But if you make homemade dressing for your coleslaw and watch portion sizes,
coleslaw is a great side-dish in the FTS lifestyle.

Tony

What you do today is what matters!

morgan
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 06:43:44 PM »

I count everything that goes in the coleslaw  and add 2 tablespoons of my favourite  mayo - usually making only 2 servings.  Using them only as side dishes to some protein.
It makes a change from cooked vegies or the usual salad fixings.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Advertise Here

Advertise Here