Author Topic: Christmas 2017 - Menu Planning  (Read 4054 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Christmas 2017 - Menu Planning
« on: November 17, 2017, 10:50:43 PM »
Well, needless to say, Christmas is coming along at a cracking pace - 37 days (omgosh) I didn't realise how close until I looked it up just now.

Planning is everything.  Sometimes you can wing it and hope it all turns out alright, but it's better if you have a Plan B (or C, D, E - you get my drift).  Most people have ham or turkey which is easy (watch out for honey or sugar glazing though).  I always turn up with something I have prepared - especially in the dessert section.  Whilst  you can usually get away with something on offer from the mains section, few people cater for our lifestyle - thinking fruit salad is good for those watching their weight.  Actually I've know people to throw in a tin of syrup laden fruit into the fresh fruit and adding marshmellows.  lol

I usually take mini cheesecakes which everyone loves, especially when I tell them it's sugarfree.  Then I can easily have 1 or 2 with some whipped cream (watch out for the added sugar variety) without drama.   I make a nice almond meal sponge cake with whipped cream and sf choc ganache also. 

Anyone got some helpful ideas???

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Christmas 2017 - Menu Planning
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 04:19:03 AM »
Okay people ---- it's the 16th here so - 9 days left.

Everyone is obviously going to be good because no one is going to be eating....haha

My mother tells me she is serving pavlova for our christmas get together....my absolute downfall.  Any other dessert and I could give it a pass, but pav......I'm wondering if my mind is going to tell me it's okay - it's christmas - only have a little.  ?????????  will it start a downslide to carb hell?????

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 05:45:05 AM »
Update....my mind told me a big fat NO.  I did take a slice. I ate the unsweetened whipped cream and the strawberries on top.    I was proud of myself.

The cherries were the problem though.  I had a few but didn't realise how many carbs were involved.  Was somewhat surprised.  Still better than eating pavlova (commercially made base).

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 01:48:02 PM »
Good job, Morgan! :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 01:56:48 AM »
Thanks Tony.  I managed my way through some tricky moments during the holiday season, but I don't feel I missed out at. 

Though I'm not sure what to do with the biscuits and chocolates I received as presents.  I can incorporate some of the carbs but there are times I can't justify the carbs in relation to the quantity.  Lindor choclate balls (one of my favourite) are 5 carbs/ball - if I REALLY REALLY want it I will work it in, but really 5 carbs????? not worth it.  My visitors are going to score well  :)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 05:17:43 PM »
Thanks Tony.  I managed my way through some tricky moments during the holiday season, but I don't feel I missed out at. 

Though I'm not sure what to do with the biscuits and chocolates I received as presents.  I can incorporate some of the carbs but there are times I can't justify the carbs in relation to the quantity.  Lindor choclate balls (one of my favourite) are 5 carbs/ball - if I REALLY REALLY want it I will work it in, but really 5 carbs????? not worth it.  My visitors are going to score well  :)

Hi, Morgan! :)

If you are at or near your goal, having an occasional carby treat is OK.
One (or even 2) 5gm carb piece of Lindor candy should not derail you.
Especially if you add it in to your daily carb max.

I did this a bit during the holidays and came out OK.

Just be careful NOT to do this often!!!
It is very easy to build bad habits where carbs are concerned, given we're carboholics.
This is how we got FAT in the first place. ;)

Take Care! :)
Tony
What you do today is what matters!