Author Topic: Scott in Florida is back!  (Read 4211 times)

scottinflorida

Scott in Florida is back!
« on: November 25, 2015, 10:45:41 AM »
Many here (probably most actually) don't know me so I will start by introducing myself.

My name is Scott Johnson and I live in Safety Harbor, Florida. About 5 years ago I weighed 258 and was sedentary. I was browsing through a Barnes & Noble bookstore one evening and found Doug's book. I read a bit of it and liked the common-sense way everything was explained, so I bought it. A few days later I started on the eating plan and found it pretty easy to follow. The pounds started coming off!

Along with losing weight, a couple of months into the process I started running again. I always enjoyed running but had not been able to run for 20+ years due to knee pain (extra weight puts a lot of stress on the knees). Started very slowly but made steady progress.

Fast forward - a year later I had lost 80 pounds, and was starting to run longer distances (my real passion). I did my first marathon, the Space Coast Marathon, in December of 2013. A year later (October of 2014) I finished my first ultramarathon, a 12-hour race where I did 40.1 miles.

A few weeks ago, I set a new PR for myself by completing a 100k race (62.1 miles).

My next race is a 12 hour race on February 14, and my big goal race for 2016 is Labor Day weekend, where I will try to do my first 100-miler. Still don't quite have my mind wrapped around that one, but I know this: you and I are capable of much more than we want to believe.

None of this would have been possible with Doug's book and I am forever grateful to him and Umpa for their encouragement all along the way.

So why am I back here now? I want to get back down to 175 for my next race (that's about 2 pounds per week, very doable), and I found one thing to be a key component in my success: accountability. That's what this forum provides. We're all here to help and encourage one another, and also to make sure we all stay on the right track. I will be reporting in each Wednesday at least, with my updated weight and progress as I march toward my goal of 175 pounds.

After that, I want to experiment with getting my weight down in the mid 160s to see how my training reacts to that. I may want to get back up to 175 and keep that as my ideal running weight, but I just don't know for sure without getting to the lower weight first and seeing what happens. But that's down the road. First, onward to 175!

Scott

PS - if anyone is interested in ultramarathons, I do a weekly podcast where I interview regular, everyday people who have actually finished an ultramarathon (any race longer than 26.2 miles). It's at www.ultrafinishers.com.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Scott in Florida is back!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 11:26:31 AM »
 :)Welcome back Scott we have missed you! I am so proud of you and your success! You can do anything you set your mind to!

scottinflorida

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 11:53:20 AM »
:)Welcome back Scott we have missed you! I am so proud of you and your success! You can do anything you set your mind to!

Thanks! Are you guys back in the mountains for the winter?

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 12:42:30 PM »
Welcome home, Scott!!! :) :) :) :) :)

It's really great to hear from you again!

You know how to reach your goal.
And we'll be right here with you all the way!

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

scottinflorida

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 12:44:52 PM »
Welcome home, Scott!!! :) :) :) :) :)

It's really great to hear from you again!

You know how to reach your goal.
And we'll be right here with you all the way!

Tony

Thanks Tony, looking forward to the interactions and seeing other people's success too!

bigjoe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 10:51:22 PM »
Hello Scott!
Dec 2005- Lapband - 323 lbs... Got down to 267 lbs... Over the years regained weight.
Restart LC on  9/12/15-

scottinflorida

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 08:20:05 AM »

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 09:33:19 AM »
We are in Alabama bass fishing and deer hunting,then its off to the Keys for the winter :)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 03:28:54 AM »
Hello Scott,  it's been awhile and I'm thrilled that you still have your running 'vibe'.  Well done.  I'm sure you will get back into peak form soon enough.