Author Topic: Wanting Doug's Opinion  (Read 13491 times)

LalaK

• View Profile
Wanting Doug's Opinion
« on: November 22, 2014, 10:20:15 AM »
Hi Doug,
I'm a newbie and have been on the Fat to Skinny eating plan for 6 days now and feel amazing.  As I mentioned in a previous post, my doctor recommended the Protein Power plan (couldn't find, had to order) but I "happened" across your Fat to Skinny Fast and Easy book the day after my doctor's visit at a local bargain store. (which I am very thankful for) I am almost halfway through your book and it is so easy to understand and down to earth.   :)
My questions is, are you familiar with the Protein Power plan and what are your thoughts regarding it?  I have started reading the Protein Power book also and it seems very similar to the Fat to Skinny plan but when I went to the author's (Dr. Eades) website, there were different supplements he was offering.  For me that was a big turn off!!!  My plan is to get off my medication not add more!  And to eat natural foods without add supplements.  I would understand if you didn't want to "dis" another author, I was just curious if there were differences in your approach vs his.
I am currently taking 30 mg Lisinopril for high blood pressure and 500mg of Metformin a day.  Will the Metformin interfere with my weight loss and insulin levels? My LDL, HDL & triglycerides are extremely high but so are my liver enzymes so I am not on any cholesterol medicine. I am supposed to go back to see my doctor in 3 weeks and looking forward to my blood work showing improvements.

I appreciate and value your opinion, advise and suggestions.   THANK YOU so much for your book!   You and Mama Umpa are awesome.   ;D  -  Blessings to you both, LalaK

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Wanting Doug's Opinion
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 10:41:53 AM »
Hello LalaK, welcome to the family! I've never read the Protein Power book so I can't give you an opinion. I can suggest that you simply stick to the FTS program and not mix it up with other programs :)

Please pay close attention to your Metformin intake. Cutting all the carbs out of your diet will naturally force your blood sugar to normal levels, your dosage of Metformin prescribed by your doctor was based on high glucose levels witch are now changing. I suggest you keep a close eye on your blood sugar levels and act accordingly with the medication, the last thing you want is a blood sugar low due to over medication. As your blood sugar levels decrease your triglycerides will drop dramatically, that will effect your LDL and HDL levels in a positive way :) I wouldn't change your BP med dosage at all until your doc orders the change.

Remember as always we are not doctors, you should always consult your doc before changing meds.

Looking forward to your future success!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 11:27:45 AM »
LalaK you dont need special supplements,just keep under 20 carbs a day and move on with your life! Hopefully soon you will be off the metformin ;) Keep in touch with your doctor as your numbers come down :)

LalaK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 11:45:01 AM »
Thank you both so much.  Doug, I will keep an eye on my blood sugar level as well as my blood pressure.  And I go back to my doctor in a few weeks. 

The Protein Power diet is a lot more scientific which is probably why my Dr. liked it .  It includes a lot of stuff about calculating your ideal body weight, and body fat ratio.  Way to technical for me.  However it does follow closely with FTS eating plan and supports the physical findings of the detriment of insulin resistance on our bodies and supports low carb for losing weight, feeling fit and improving overall health, including lowering cholesterol.  It was easy for me to set that one aside and focus on the FTS plan.   ;D

It's only been 6 days since I started FTS but I already feel better than I have felt in years and can see a difference on the scales. When offered goodies at work, I just tell them that my doctor has me on a strict diet.   ;)  (which is the truth) However, I don't plan on it being a diet, I am aiming for it becoming a lifestyle.

I, as many others have stated, have tried all the others diets.  Last year, I spent 6 months on the "dr. recommended" low fat / low cholesterol diet, and followed it exactly to a "tee".  The next round of blood work showed that my cholesterol was higher after the 6 months of following the low fat/low cholesterol diet.  >:(

I'm so thankful my doctor was willing and did suggest a different approach this time and I "happened" (thank you Lord :)) across Your book.  Looking forward to keeping in touch.    ;D

BTW - I've just ordered the cookbooks, carb counter and 2 bottles of the zero sweetener.

LalaK
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 12:09:36 PM by LalaK »

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 01:00:42 PM »
Hi, LalaK! :)

Like Doug said, watch your blood sugar levels.
You don't want them getting too low due to the Metformin.

I was type II diabetic and discovered that I was getting a little weak at times
after living the FTS lifestyle for a few weeks.
I cut the tablets in half. Then after about 6 months, my doc took me off Metformin altogether.

I've been living the FTS lifestyle since August 2010, and I will never go back.
I'm 62 years old and haven't felt this good since I was in my early 30s! ;D ;D ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

LalaK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »
Thanks Doug,  I bought a glucometer yesterday just in case. 

Do you know if anyone ever expressed concern with respect to low potassium on the FTS life style plan?

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 10:31:30 AM »
LalaK why do you think your potassium is low? :)

LalaK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 09:40:17 AM »
Since I started FTS, I began to notice particularly at night that my heart would "flutter" just a little.  I checked my blood pressure and it was fine.  I read that potassium helps regulate that and that the foods rich in potassium are mainly fruits and sweet potatoes.    Since I have not ventured into eating fruits yet, I just wondered.  However, I am eating leafy greens. I have not noticed the flutters the last few evenings but will notify my doctor if they return and persist.  Thank you for asking.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 09:53:05 AM »
Could be excess energy or caffeine. Is your energy level high these days? An evening walk would help that. If you're taking in caffeine late in the afternoons you should stop.  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

LalaK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 11:45:53 AM »
My energy level is awesome!  I can hardly believe the difference.  I don't drink caffeine in the evening at all.  I will try and work in an evening stroll.  Thanks for the advice.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 12:35:16 PM »
Hi, LalaK! :)

Our bodies were made to move around.
If we're too sedentary, we can get sick.

I take a 5-mile brisk walk every morning.
When I miss them, I notice the difference in how I feel.

Tony

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 10:30:48 AM »
i am wicked hyper :D I am almost 50 and I have the energy level of a twenty year old! My kids cant keep up! :D

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 12:10:39 PM »
i am wicked hyper :D I am almost 50 and I have the energy level of a twenty year old! My kids cant keep up! :D

Bouncing off the walls?...  :D :D :D

Tony

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 11:19:40 AM »
Yep! And I dont drink caffeine,just my nature :D

jackibar

• View Profile
    • Gorden and Jacki's Place
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 03:37:25 PM »
Can y'all share some of that extra energy with me, please?!
Join our [url=http://www.fattoskinny.com/]weight loss Forum[/url] Community Today!