Author Topic: Embarassed....but back to face the music!  (Read 13400 times)

renee

• View Profile
    • Email
Embarassed....but back to face the music!
« on: June 21, 2014, 07:56:08 AM »
Well here I am, and this time I'm going to stay the course!!!!!

Went to the Doctors on Thursday for my semi-annual check-up, and the first question the nurse asked was...."did anyone call you about the blood work that was done at your last checkup?" That would be no. "Is there a problem?"
Oh.."I'll have Deb the PA discuss it with you."

To cut a long story short 6 months ago by blood sugar reading was 281, and my A1C was 8.3 and nobody called me about it! The first thing Deb said to me was "Renee` you have diabetes."

I was devastated to say the least. I told her I was not taking any medication that if that were the case I would work to control it with diet and exercise. She agreed unless of course that didn't work because my pancreas wasn't working as it should. :'(

So this morning I did 2 circuits of the local park before 6am. I only took my BP pill with a sip of water before I headed out. On my return I tested my blood sugar...<sigh> the reading was 209....so yes I have a problem!  :-[

I have a followup appointment in September, she is giving me 3 months to see if I can get this under control, if not she wants me on medication.  :(

I now have a notebook living on my island in the kitchen, and am making a note of every carb to pass my lips. People who know me, know I absolutely hate having to measure and count carbs or calories of any kind BUT the line has been drawn in the sand so to speak, and I have to take action!  :)

So I'm back owning up and joining with people who understand about SUGAR!

I tried to make my daughter understand about cutting white carbs out of my life, but she just doesn't get it.....she just kept saying, "you can't cut complete food groups out of your life...you won't stick to it!" Of course she doesn't understand the 20 carbs a day principle. I didn't explain that to her or she would have started another rant!

Anyway I'm back and in it for the long haul.

Renee`

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Embarassed....but back to face the music!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 11:40:58 AM »
Hello, Renee.

Sorry you got the news about being diabetic. :-[
And I'm concerned that your provider's office did not contact you IMMEDIATELY with your lab results.
Type II diabetes (sustained, highly elevated blood glucose) can cause severe damage, even death.
Clearly, it's a VERY serious disease that must be treated as soon as possible.

I do remember your posts about not likely to measure and count. But now, you realize your life depends on it!
With that level of severity, it's no longer about liking or not liking.
It's about your quality of life and even your very survival.

The good news is, in time you will become good at measuring by "eyeball".
However, it's still wise to periodically measure to be sure your perception remains accurate.

Explain to your daughter that it's not about cutting entire food groups.
It's about replacements, watching what passes our lips, and how much passes.

The FTS lifestyle can and will reverse type II  ---IF--- you 100% COMMIT yourself to it!
FTS reversed mine! My doctor even told me I was no longer diabetic about 6 months after starting FTS! ;D
And... I haven't been this healthy in over 3 decades!!!

You CAN do this, Renee!... And we'll be right here to help you get healthy!!! :) :) :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 11:58:53 AM »
Renee you can conquer this! When it comes to your daughter,dont discuss it just do it.Your good health and happiness will prove to her you know what you are doing!Re-read the book and if you can get her to read the first few chapters. ;)

renee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 01:10:50 PM »
Tony,

My favorite tools in the kitchen alongside my notebook are the measuring cups..namely 1/2 cup, 1/4 cup and 2tbsp cup.

This is serious business and I will get it done!  :) Thanks for your vote of confidence  :)

To say I'm pissed off at the Doctor's office is putting it mildly!!!!!! >:(  Also looking into good herbal supplements to help clean my liver, kidneys and pancreas.

Umpa,

I started to re-read the book last night, and as far as my kids are concerned...I listen to them rant, and just go on and plan my lifestyle change accordingly. :)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 08:57:31 AM »
Renee I am a herbalist if you need my help please ask ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 12:00:23 PM »
Hi, renee! :)

With that kind of commitment, you WILL succeed! ;D ;D ;D

Tony

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 03:22:07 PM »
Hi Renee, ignore your daughter and everyone else. Re-read the book and get into our great recipes. I heard those exact same words over 8 years ago. I came home from the doctor, studied and then developed our eating plan. I cured my diabetes and you can cure yours. There's nothing wrong with your pancreas nor was there anything wrong with mine. The problem is what goes in our mouths :) When I went back to the doctor 6 months later he professed it a miracle. No I said, its all common sense!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

renee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 06:01:48 PM »
Hey Doug,

I absolutely agree with you on the problem is what we put in our mouths....just last evening my friend, who has been a diabetic for years was telling me that I really should go on the medication because I could eat all the foods I love <sigh>!!!! I told her that is not how this works! That she was not doing her body any favors by eating whatever she wants and then popping a pill!  She said she would try and do better, so just for the fun of it I asked her what she had had for supper. Oh I was good...meatloaf, Ok...what else, macaroni and cheese and corn!!! <bangs head on table> I know I am probably fighting a losing battle with her, she weighs in at 306 lbs at the moment. I can only hope as she sees my weight come off it may in part encourage her.

I started my lifestyle change on 6/22, and to date have only consumed 16 - 19 carbs a day.

I have kept off the scale though, going to weigh once a week I don't want to be obsessive about weighing in.

Plus I'm testing my blood glucose 7 times a day, before and 1 1/2 hours after meals, and before I go to bed. I just want to be on top of what is going on. And although the tests aren't in the normal range yet....the are by no means over 200 either!  :)

Once I get the hang of choosing the right foods for me I'll be a happy camper.  Unfortunately lettuce of any kind does not agree with me, but there is a light at the end of that tunnel because I absolutely love the cole slaw cabbage mix, so I love to make salads most days for my lunch, adding tuna, eggs, ham, whatever protein has zero carbs...and of course crumble some pork skins in for added crunch!  :)

I'm rabid about counting every carb that goes in my mouth!

Sorry this post is so long! :)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 07:36:33 PM »
I know you will do well.  My favourite is a Greek salad. Lettuce (or spinach), tomato, olives, some fetta, red onion and a tiny drizzle of balsamic vinegar, teemed with a protein.  Yumm

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 08:36:58 AM »
Dont forget Kale,I love it! You can make chips out of it too ;)

renee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »
I have never tried Kale, and as I live in a rural area, have never seen it for sale in the stores either.

I did however, order the dry miracle noodle pasta. I did at one time try the original miracle noodle, but the smell of the liquid it came in sort of put me off.  Now of course I have more reason to stick with it.

Am taking 2 1000mg Cinnamon capsules a day, and my Swanson Triple Strength Pancreatin 4x came today and I have already taken one of those before I have my lunch.....oh and the before lunch blood glucose reading I just did was 134. Go Me  ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 09:29:21 AM »
Yeah you!!! Walmart sells Kale in the veggie section.Very similair to collards not as tough though. ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 10:47:45 AM »
That's wonderful, renee! :) :) :)

Tony

renee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 05:43:30 AM »
Since I started my lifestyle change on June 22, after receiving the news I was Diabetic, it has been an eye opening 7 days.

My blood sugar on June 22 was 209. As of yesterday June 27 my readings were between 119 and 135. I seem to have more energy as my body is no longer carb laden. I realize I still have a way to go, but feel I'm on the right track, Yesterday was a very busy day activity wise for me due to the energy spurt, so am hoping my energy will keep increasing as time goes by.

I wasn't going to weigh myself for a few more weeks, but sadly the scale won this morning, even though I felt as though I had lost some weight, I wanted to know for sure, so I hopped on the scale.....when I weighed in at the Doctors last week I weighed 236 lbs. This morning the scale tells me 232 lbs. So yes this is working for me! I feel confident that in a couple of weeks I will be in the 220's which I haven't seen for at least 20 years or more.

Am I striving to get down to a certain weight?  No....taking into account my age...people don't believe me when I tell them how old I'll be this year.....my body will tell me when I'm there, as long as I feel good, my clothes fit well, with no bulges anywhere and first and for most when my blood sugar is well under control, then I will maintain, add some carbs back......SOME being the operative word here. I will probably give myself a range of 25-30 carbs daily. If my weight goes up by 2 lbs the carbs go down. I'll never be carb laden again.

Thanks guys for all the encouragement you have given me!

Renee`

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2014, 10:47:18 AM »
Renee i am so happy for you! You have taken control of your life!I dont weigh myself I go by my clothes size.I am going to be 50 this year and I stay in a size 10.The scale used to bring me to tears.My dad said to me "why do you make yourself so crazy with that scale?You dont know when your pants are getting tight?Push yourself away from the table!"It was a simple statement that changed my life! You are gonna do great and we are gonna help! ;)