Author Topic: micro greens  (Read 22114 times)

ereino

• View Profile
Re: micro greens
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 02:06:11 PM »
Hmmm, a water tank - maybe a future project - Sounds like a wonderful plan.  I'll talk with my husband and see what he thinks.  As a matter of fact, I do know what you are talking about - read about them - they have a spicket on the bottom of the barrel...  Huh!  That's why I love this forum - Great ideas.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 02:24:25 PM »
Hi, Ellie! :)

I've always loved the peace and solitude being in natural surroundings brings.
Suppose that's why I love the great outdoors so much.
And why I like living on my own property, a distance from my closest neighbors.

A water tank is a MUST have (unless you enjoy toting LOTS of water).
To prevent freezing in the Winter...
Use a horse trough heater in the tank and wrap the line that comes into cabin with electric heater-tape.

Did you know that many outhouses are built over simple holes in the ground?
When the hole would fill or get to be too much to take ;) , a new hole was dug and the outhouse moved over it.
This is they way America did it for a couple of centuries (until indoor plumbing).

Tony
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:41:22 PM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2014, 05:32:54 PM »
Australia is a very dry country.  Most houses, even in the suburbs have a water tank to supplement watering the garden.  When our dams are down water restrictions are put in place. The first stages prohibit watering gardens, washing cars etc.  It is amazing how much dew comes off a roof without it actually raining.  We don't have a problem with the freezing bit. Hehe

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2014, 08:16:09 AM »
I just remembered something - I have lived in my house for 24 years now.  The house is over 100 years old...probably 130  - it has a cistern in it.  It gathered water - We have never used it, but it is an amazing feature and charm to the house.  I am definitely going to rethink the water barrel at the cabin site. 

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 08:17:40 AM »
So Morgan, you live in Australia?  Tony, where is it you live?  Thank you both for the great conversations and thoughtful additions/comments.  I truly appreciate it.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2014, 08:54:49 AM »
It is so cool you could get off the grid.We are trying to do that in our cabin in North Carolina.Doug just bought a Pelton water generator and is installing it this summer. :)

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2014, 06:53:05 PM »
We are definitely off the grid at the cabin.  We do have a generator and it is hooked up that way for electricity.  We have a window a/c as the summer months are very hot.  I love the water barrel idea and truly hope to install soon.  Must discuss with hubby.  I remember one time we had a metal garbage can that was empty and somehow, even though we thought we had the lid on tight, it filled up.  Boy, we used that water for sometime  ... no...we didn't drink it - but used it for other things.  I don't think we thought it was safe enough for anything else but watering plants at the time.  But the water barrel is tight enough and safe for bathing and washing dishes, I would hope.  Although, if it is attached to a gutter, I am not sure how clean the gutters can be with critters running around in the area...bird droppings, etc. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
I think its wicked cool :)

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2014, 01:37:42 PM »
yea, my husband picked up a water barrel - it is a heavy duty plastic and is flat on one side so it fits up against the cabin wall.  AND, we are getting loads of rain at the cabin site, so in two weeks, when we get there, the first thing I am going to do is check it out.  It has a spicket on the bottom, way at the bottom, so hubby had to build a taller platform for the barrel to sit on.  I can't wait to see how water we get - we do hall up lots of water for bathing, washing dishes, etc.  So, this should lighten the load for us.  Great ideas you all!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2014, 09:50:10 AM »
Let us know how it works out :)

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2014, 01:58:27 PM »
we will be going to the cabin soon and it sure has been raining cats and dogs lately.  I wonder if the tank will be completely filled!  I'll keep you all posted.  We will use to shower with and to heat up and wash dishs.  Will still bring up drinking water.  But boy, this will sure save us the money in buying five to six or more gallons just to wash with.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2014, 12:04:12 PM »
Keep us informed ;) Enjoy the cabin,I sure love mine! :)

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2014, 01:49:33 PM »
okay, got to the cabin and the water barrel works, but we had the spickett open.  It was hard to tell initially...so now we closed it and boy it really rained on Sunday at the cabin site.  So, the next time we go up I am sure we will not be disappointed.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2014, 09:40:23 AM »
Yeah! That is wicked cool! :)

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2014, 01:50:07 PM »
it is wicked cool - and, got the idea off the fts forum, which is even MORE wicked cool  ;D