Author Topic: Topic isnt New But I am.....need advice as a newbie  (Read 11023 times)

Phatchick

• View Profile
Topic isnt New But I am.....need advice as a newbie
« on: February 18, 2014, 01:05:24 PM »
Firstly, hello I am a 56 y/o female who read the book from beginning to end. I learned more about sugar and carbs in one chapter than I have known my entire life. I am 275 lbs and started the new life style 9 days ago. I average between 12-15 net carbs daily. I decided to not weigh myself until today for the first time and I have lost 3 lbs! I assumed with a starting weight of 270+ and drinking 90 oz of water per day and keeping a food diary,I would have lost more. I am so disheartened. My friends on Weight Watchers who consume sugar are losing more and faster than I. I know I am sounding like I'm a cry baby. Sorry. I pee constantly and even wake up at night now to pee. Isnt this a sign of losing?? Can people tell me what I should expect in the way of weight loss per week.

I have not started exercising yet but plan to do that next week. I do feel better. I have no aches and pains like before so I am very grateful for that. but please look at my food diary and give me some advice.

Breakfast:

1 cup coffee with 2 T cream
2 eggs/cheddar cheese w/green pepper and onion
35oz of water

lunch:

Salad with red vinegar and olive oil
cheese

snack mozzarella stick

Dinner

1 meat like chicken breast or small steak
salad with red vinegar/olive oil

snack SF jello

Thanks friends, Phatchick

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Topic isnt New But I am.....need advice as a newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 03:18:11 PM »
Hi there
welcome aboard! i am 34 year old from jersey who lived the fts life for a year until i got pregnant with health complications and couldnt do it. I lost almost 50lbs last year and i just recently "restarted" living this amazing life last week. a couple things, first forgive me not capitalzing my letters LOL takes too much time for me. my first week which i weighed in on sunday i lost 3.5 lbs. my starting weight this time around was 248, having gained 48 lbs from "the baby". i just had a little girl in december and i am head over heals her name is juliana marie :) back to the topic at hand , it took you a long time to put that weight on and we are all inpatient, trust me all of us here know. BUT what you need to keep in your mind is how great you feel. You said it yourself , you feel great. i never felt better in my life living this lifestyle. i did weight watchers for years, with success and without success . this lifestyle is so easy to live by it makes it so easy to be successful.

a few things i learned on my journey
1- patience is a virtue, keep with the program even when you are not losing trust me the benefits are tremendous. i was stuck on the scale for 2 months, guess what i was losing inches and my body was transforming
2-i learned to really decided when i was hungry. i dont do the traditional breakfast lunch dinner thing. i eat when i am hungry , and if i think i am hungry i drink a bottle of water wait a few mintutes and then decide if i really am. often times thirst is mistaken for hunger.
3- next we have abused food for so long and all have emotional issues with "food"and our eating habits so we need to relearn how to eat 
4- post your meals all day under the tab on the home page and let us see if you are counting your carbs right. like a cup of coffee should be counted as 1 carb , and does your cream have carbs in it? my cream states <1 for 1 tablespoon so i count my morning coffee as 2 carbs , eggs are .6 carbs each so those two eggs you ate are 1.2 carbs , are you measuring your salad? your water intake is amazing!! keep that up , that is going to help you so much. alot of times what i found was that i was missing carbs , (we call them carb creeps) and you end of overeating the 20 carbs.
5- we will get you through this and in no time you  will be helping other newbies like yourself
6- i still consider myself a newbie lol!!!!!
7- i ask ten thousand questions all the time so stick with me and you will know all you need to know haha
8- if you click on a persons name you can see their profile and see the post they have posted, alot of people post "questions" so scroll through them you will learn alot.
9- take a deep breath you  got this, its all in your mind
10- come often and chat with us , for support, questions, to bitch, whatever you want :)
have a good week !
Steph

I have not started exercising yet but plan to do that next week. I do feel better. I have no aches and pains like before so I am very grateful for that. but please look at my food diary and give me some advice.

Breakfast:

1 cup coffee with 2 T cream
2 eggs/cheddar cheese w/green pepper and onion
35oz of water

lunch:

Salad with red vinegar and olive oil
cheese

snack mozzarella stick

Dinner

1 meat like chicken breast or small steak
salad with red vinegar/olive oil

snack SF jello

Thanks friends, Phatchick
[/quote]

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 08:00:10 AM »
Welcome Phatchick! I am Umpa,Dougs wife if I can help you please ask. I have a board on the homepage where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.My best advice I can give you is take your measurements.The scale is not always accurate for women.Our weight fluctuates too much.Just follow the plan and the weight will come off ,its simple science. ;)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:05:02 PM by mouseissue »

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »
Welcome to the FTS family, Phatchick!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Umpa's right!... Be sure to measure yourself regularly.
We often lose body fat while we shrink in size.
Also, Stephanie shared some valuable insights that should help you.

Remember, no two of us are alike and that there are MANY factors that can effect overall progress.

Some examples include eating more than our bodies need (even if less than 20 carbs),
not eating enough, not eating enough fat, too much sodium (salt),
for women the time of the month, too much stress, not getting enough sleep, etc..

If we let ourselves become too hungry, our bodies will halt fat burning.
This is a survival mechanism to detect and adjust to famine.

Exercise can keep the metabolism humming at a higher rate and is good for overall health.
But as a weight loss means, it is not very efficient.
However, for your health please have some exercise on a regular basis!

Also, the body will add water to fat cells that have released fat.
This is VERY temporary and that water will soon be released.

So just stay the course with FTS... The science behind it is rock solid! :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 09:17:16 AM »
Hello Phatchick, relax and stay the course, enjoy your foods and don't worry, the weight will come off. Remember this is not a diet, its a lifestyle change and I assure you the science is correct. Don't compare yourself to others and don't be in a hurry, this isn't a race.

Sleep is very important for weight loss success.Yes you need to drink plenty of water but 64 ounces per day is enough. Stop drinking water earlier in the evening so you sleep through the night.

Welcome to the family!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

Phatchick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 11:38:52 AM »
Thanks for all the responses. Today begins week 4 and have lost 9 lbs. I am in this for the long run....blessings y'all. Phatchick

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 09:28:01 AM »
YEAH YOU!! Where are you from?

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 11:12:45 AM »
Awesome phatchick rock on !

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 12:34:55 PM »
Smiling at your motivation & progress Phatchick!! WooHoo

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 01:31:32 PM »
I second Doug's advice! Be patient and stay the course.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 09:21:04 PM »
Hooray, Phatchick!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »
Welcome welcome welcome!!   ;D  great progress   ;)

Elizabeth779

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 04:25:35 AM »
Hi Phatchick -- love the nickname -- used to have really big (over 20 pounds last time he was weighed) cat named "Phatcat". 

I read what you posted TWICE.  I'm 60 and my best friend is 55 and she does weight watchers....and yes it is so important not to compare plans or weight loss, etc......if you keep on, you will feel great and the weight will come off.  I LOVED what you said about the "aches and pains" are gone.....that is maybe the one thing that keeps me hanging on is that with this plan after detoxing from sugar my joint aches and pains, my skin itchiness, EVERYthing just feels so much better.  Also a quick weigh to measure yourself is if you have a tight pair of pants, skirt, top, dress, etc., you want to fit into by trying it on when you have lost inches instead of weight you will notice the difference.  I have a pair of "phatpants" jeans I use for that purpose and also a pair of uniform pants that is a size smaller. 

Hang in there and give us a post to update us how you are doing....remember that #1 is that having sugar out of our bodies makes is healthier....and that is HUGE!

Stephanie -- read and re-read your response to Phatchick.....lots of great useful info in there....thanks.

pamsway

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 09:31:29 PM »
Hi, as someone who has started and stopped and started again, I can attest that if you stick with this program you will lose the weight. I had started in January and lost 8 pounds but some issues came up and I went over the cliff. I'm back now and I know it is going to be a slow process. I am not a patient person when it comes to getting rid of the weight, but I am working at it one meal at a time.

The FTS family is here for us, even with their tough love advice.  ;D which is what I need. together we can take this journey to a new us.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 09:00:51 AM »
We are always here for all of you ;)