Author Topic: Finally saw a doctor today  (Read 46421 times)

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Finally saw a doctor today
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2014, 05:00:42 PM »
You two are so great together  looking after each other.  Susie I would discuss the side effects with Mary. That way she can  be on the look out for any problems.  She'll  be on the outside and can observe any vagueness /memory loss that you don't realise.   Tell her what to do if she does (like contact your older daughter or dr).  I'm  sure all will go well but a plan is always good.

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2014, 10:05:47 AM »
Thanks Morgan, Mary already keeps a close eye on me. When I look tired she advises me to lay down. She does not want me to take Lipitor, so I know she'll keep a good eye on me. She knows know the side effects to look for.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2014, 10:34:42 AM »
Thanks Morgan, Mary already keeps a close eye on me. When I look tired she advises me to lay down. She does not want me to take Lipitor, so I know she'll keep a good eye on me. She knows know the side effects to look for.

Hi, Susie! :)

When my doctor had me on statins, I was taking 5mg Crestor per day.
He told me that was the lowest dose available.
After taking it for a number of years, the mental effects became more & more obvious.

It's good Mary will be watching you.
Let her know the side effects come on very slowly.
And you will probably notice them before Mary does.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2014, 02:29:45 PM »
She looked them up online. There are different side effects for women over 50. I hope my supplements work for me.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2014, 02:44:22 PM »
Good job ;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2014, 11:53:25 PM »
Emailed my doctor! She's so nice!

----- Message -----

My friends keep sending me links about the dangers of stains for women. Here is one that concerns me. I have stopped menses October 2012.

My concern, "Statins Don’t Work to Prevent First Heart Attacks"

http://drhyman.com/blog/2012/01/19/why-women-should-stop-their-cholesterol-lowering-medication/

----- Message -----

Statins are safe for women. There are a lot of skewed/ not true studies out there. KP is very up on the latest recommendations/ guidelines/ warnings. If it were so, we would have pulled the statins off all female pts. I would like you to take it. So far, none of my patients has ended up in the hospital with statins. I will review this article and get back with you.

----- Message -----

Thank you. Is my prescription ready for me to pick it up yet?

----- Message -----

Read the article. Makes sense. But your blood sugar has always been good. I have not seen any diabetes that is induced by statin in my patients. So far, not yet. How about cutting the lipitor in 1/2 and take it daily.

----- Message -----
Sent: 3/26/2014 5:00 PM PDT

okay will do

----- Message -----

Great. We will take this 1 step at a time. If at any time your blood sugar goes up or you have side effects, let me know. We can always stop it.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2014, 09:12:53 AM »
I like her ;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2014, 10:18:15 AM »
Now she's sounding more like the way she used to be. She's the one, in 2012,  who sent me on my way to lose the weight, saying eat low sugar, low carb... and that's just what I did.  ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2014, 03:28:18 PM »
You're blessed to have a doctor with an open mind, Susie! :)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2014, 03:44:38 PM »
Thanks Tony. Yes I am and I'm so thankful.

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2014, 04:55:53 AM »
I read the article Susie posted suggesting different ways to lower cholesterol and was interested in CoQ10. I went to buy some BUT they all had as the active ingredient as 'ubiquinone'.  The one that was suggested was 'ubiquinol' (more effective). None of the dozens of products available had this as the active ingredient.  Does anyone taking CoQ10 have ubiquinol?  What is the brand name?  Thanks

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2014, 06:50:06 AM »
Hi Morgan ! I found this in my search bc I didn't know what either was . Hope it helps

Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is a fat-soluble nutrient produced naturally by our bodies. Found in every cell in the body, CoQ10 is concentrated in organs that require the most energy — such as the heart, liver, muscles and kidneys. CoQ10 is concentrated in these organs because it is essential to the process of producing cellular energy.

Ubiquinone vs. Ubiquinol

In the body, CoQ10 exists either in its oxidized form, ubiquinone, or in its reduced form, ubiquinol. When oxidized CoQ10 (ubiquinone) is used by the body, it transforms and becomes ubiquinol. In the same way, reduced CoQ10 (ubiquinol) becomes ubiquinone when it carries out its role in the body.

To better understand how this works, let’s take a look at CoQ10 and cellular energy production. CoQ10 is found inside the powerhouses of the cell called the mitochondria, the site where energy production occurs. It acts as an electron acceptor or donor in the chain of reactions that lead to energy production. When oxidized CoQ10 (ubiquinone) accepts an electron from another molecule in the chain, it becomes reduced (ubiquinol) and when reduced CoQ10 (ubiquinol) donates an electron, it becomes oxidized (ubiquinone). Maintaining this state of equilibrium is how the body benefits from CoQ10.

CoQ10 Supplements

Regardless of what form of CoQ10 you take as a supplement, the body is able to convert the consumed form to the other form as needed. In other words, if you take a reduced CoQ10 supplement (ubiquinol), the body can convert the reduced CoQ10 (ubiquinol) to the oxidized CoQ10 (ubiquinone) and vice versa. This conversion takes place to maintain a state of equilibrium between reduced CoQ10 (ubiquinol) and oxidized CoQ10 (ubiquinone).

The Bottom Line

Unquestionably, both forms—ubiquinone and ubiquinol—are effective and essential to important pathways in the body, and in states of need, either form can be reduced or oxidized to form the other.

Next time you purchase CoQ10 keep the following points in mind:

• Both CoQ10 forms—ubiquinone and ubiquinol—are important, effective and do great things for your body
• The body is extremely intelligent and is capable of turning one form of CoQ10 into the other as needed
• Feel great that you are choosing such a important supplement for your health

- See more at: http://www.naturemade.com/resource-center/articles-and-videos/heart-health/understanding-coq10-ubiquinone-vs-ubiquinol#sthash.0oWW5S7Q.dpuf

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2014, 08:42:50 AM »
Thanks for the information Stephanie! You are such an asset here!

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2014, 09:11:09 AM »
Thanks Susie!!

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2014, 09:47:39 AM »
Thank you so much Steph.  That helped clear it up (well a bit anyway - I mean it is 1 in the morning here.  Will have to reread in the morning).  Wonder why they would recommend one over the other? You'd think it was confusing enough as it was.  Thanks again :)