Author Topic: Finally saw a doctor today  (Read 46318 times)

o0OSusieO0o

Finally saw a doctor today
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:21:09 PM »
I was told I should be on disability & that having one hand & 1 eye should make me eligible. I know I can't work so I told him okay. Going to apply. My blood pressure was taken twice. It's 164/90. He prescribed low dose diuretics. They  weighed me, I'm 135 lbs. I wonder if menopause makes my blood pressure elevate?

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Finally saw a doctor today
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »
I couldn't say if menopause causes bp to rise. I have had it most of my life - it a family thing. What surprised me was that he prescribed something straight off. In Australia when your bp is up they usually monitor for a few visits ensuring its not up just because its up from anxiety at going to Drs.  If you were going to see him to go on disability I would have thought your bp would have risen from nerves.  I personally hate taking meds I don't need and scrutinize the known side effects of anything new.  Sometimes Drs just prescribe to cover their own backs.  Hoping this doesn't sound negative to you, it's just me.  Hopefully the bpt is just a temporary thing.

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 08:48:07 PM »
Morgan is right...your BP can rise from many reasons other than that need medical treatment.  Mine goes up and down depending on the level of pain I'm feeling and always if I have an infection of some sort.  Thankfully living the FTS lifestyle has lowered it enough that I no longer have to take the med.  I wish you luck with the process of the disability...it can be a daunting task but don't give up  ;)  I hope you feel better soon  :)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 11:28:26 PM »
I was on diuretics for high blood pressure when I was 207 lbs. After I lost 20 lbs & still on the diuretics, my BP normalized, informed doctor of this today. I wasn't nervous at the doctor at all today. I loved the people there. All was calm at home too. I'm not in pain in my toe today unless it's pressed. It's still swollen though.

From http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=78099] [url]http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=78099[/url] "There are some studies that suggest that declining estrogen levels may influence the lining of the blood vessels and contribute to increases in blood pressure. Research is currently ongoing that is reviewing the relationship of menopause and blood pressure."

Found this on Mayo Clinic site:
(many websites reported this)
Menopause and high blood pressure: What's the connection?
Is there a connection between menopause and high blood pressure?

Answer
from Sandhya Pruthi, M.D.

Blood pressure generally increases after menopause. Some doctors think this increase suggests that the hormonal changes of menopause may play a role in high blood pressure. Others think an increase in body mass index (BMI) in menopausal women may play a greater role than hormonal changes.

Menopause-related hormonal changes can lead to weight gain and make your blood pressure more reactive to salt in your diet — which, in turn, can lead to higher blood pressure. Some types of hormone therapy (HT) for menopause also may contribute to increases in blood pressure.

To control your blood pressure both before and after menopause, focus on a healthy lifestyle:

Maintain a healthy weight. (okay, I hope I'm at healthy weight)
Eat heart-healthy foods, such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables. (I eat low carb grains, berries & lots of veggies)
Reduce the amount of processed foods and salt in your diet. (I eat very very few processed foods, if any at all)
Exercise on most days of the week. (I admit, this I do not do)
Limit or avoid alcohol. (I drink 2 glasses of wine, about 3-4 days out of the year)
If you smoke, stop. (never smoked)
If necessary, your doctor may prescribe medication to help lower your blood pressure.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 10:03:18 AM »
Susie I am in menopause and I agree with your research. I am also anemic and that causes a raise in blood pressure.I agree with the others about taking meds without more investigation.When you go to the hospital thats how they know you are really in pain(and not just looking for drugs) is elevated blood pressure ;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 05:27:44 PM »
That's true, pain does elevate blood pressure. If I'm tired it can go up too. Two of my brothers have high blood pressure too. They both are normal weight. They are both on bp meds too.

NoellBlue1

• Happy to be alive :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 10:23:33 PM »
Hi Susie, I hope you resolve your blood pressure issues soon.  I feel for you, since health is one of our best assets in life...so hang in there and be positive.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Wishing you love, joy, peace, light, and laughter for every moment in your life;)

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 12:51:56 AM »
 Thanks so much Noel!!!!

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 09:11:45 AM »
FOUND THIS INFO:

Low-Carb Diet Lowers Blood Pressure

Low-Carbohydrate Diet Better Than weight loss Drug Orlistat at Lowering Blood Pressure With weight loss

By Jennifer Warner
WebMD Health News Reviewed by Louise Chang, MD
Jan. 25, 2010 -- A low-carbohydrate diet may have health benefits that go beyond weight loss.

A new study shows that a low-carbohydrate diet was equally good as the weight loss drug orlistat (the active ingredient in Alli and Xenical) at helping overweight and obese people lose weight, but people who followed the low-carb diet also experienced a healthy drop in their blood pressure levels.

"I expected the weight loss to be considerable with both therapies but we were surprised to see blood pressure improve so much more with the low-carbohydrate diet than with orlistat," researcher William S. Yancy, Jr., MD, an associate professor of medicine at Duke University Medical Center, says in a news release. "If people have high blood pressure and a weight problem, a low-carbohydrate diet might be a better option than a weight loss medication."

Researchers say studies have already shown that the two weight loss methods are effective at promoting weight loss, but it's the first time the health effects of each have been compared head to head.

"It's important to know you can try a diet instead of medication and get the same weight loss results with fewer costs and potentially fewer side effects," Yancy says.

Low-Carb Lowers Blood Pressure

In the study, published in the Archives of Internal Medicine, 146 obese or overweight adults were randomly divided into two groups. Many of the participants also had chronic health problems, such as high blood pressure or diabetes.

The first group was advised to follow a low-carbohydrate, ketogenic diet consisting of less than 20 grams of carbohydrates per day, and the second group received the weight loss drug orlistat three times a day, plus counseling in following a low-fat diet (less than 30% of daily calories from fat) at group meetings over 48 weeks.

The results showed weight loss was similar in the two groups. The low-carb diet group lost an average of 9.5% of their body weight and the orlistat group lost an average of 8.5%. Both weight loss methods were also not significantly different at improving cholesterol and glucose levels.

But when researchers looked at changes in blood pressure, they found nearly half of those who followed the low-carbohydrate group had their blood pressure medication decreased or discontinued during the study, compared to only 21% of those in the orlistat group.

Overall, systolic (the top number in a blood pressure reading) dropped an average of 5.9 points among the low-carb diet group, compared with an increase of 1.5 points in the orlistat group.

Researchers say weight loss itself typically produces a healthy reduction in blood pressure, but it appears that a low-carbohydrate diet has an additional blood pressure-lowering effect that merits further study.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 07:59:44 PM »
This study was published in early 2010.
So why does WebMD tell folks to lose weight, watch calories??? :-\

Can't speak for the calories. But I know the missed carbs sure brought mine in line! ;D

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 02:20:28 AM »
True Tony. I wonder if there are any more tests like this done since then?

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 03:05:48 PM »
True Tony. I wonder if there are any more tests like this done since then?

An even better question... If there were, would WebMD continue to push the calorie-fat agenda instead of the truth?
I think we know the answer to that. ;)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 01:50:31 AM »
Yes we know.
 ;)
It appears that most medical doctors really are not nutrition savvy.

o0OSusieO0o

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 03:52:51 PM »
Went to Urgent Care Out Patient Center today. A long time cyst on my back shoulder got infected a few days and today pain was radiating throughout my left shoulder. They numbed with lots of needles, then did incision  to get all the "bad" stuff out. I'm on Bactrim DS (antibiotic). Was fatigued when I got home, napped 1 hour. When I woke up pain in shoulder gone, now only pain at cyst area. Pain anxiety feeling gone too.

anjelhands

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 12:27:33 AM »
Glad you are feeling better.