Author Topic: Low Carbs and Post Workout Muscle Fatigue/Soreness  (Read 4225 times)

Siltz

• View Profile
    • Email
Low Carbs and Post Workout Muscle Fatigue/Soreness
« on: February 01, 2013, 10:20:02 PM »
Would a low carb diet increase post weight training muscle fatigue and soreness?  I seem to be experiencing more of this since starting FTS.

shawn116

Re: Low Carbs and Post Workout Muscle Fatigue/Soreness
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 06:54:43 AM »
I wonder if you may be missing some kind of nutrient.   Even something as simple as reduced sodium that your body needs can cause fatigue.   

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 09:03:25 AM »
It shouldn't as long as you've got a good store of protein ready to be used for fiber rebuild and you've given yourself enough recovery time.  Your muscles do not grow in the gym, they grow while resting. In the gym you tear your muscles down, injuring them to the point where your body feels the need to rebuild them larger to survive.

If you don't not give your body enough time to do this, your muscle will eat it self away. Muscles should rest between 36-48 hours before being hit again. Then why you ask not do them again in two days? That is because most muscles get hit again indirectly while working out other body parts. The biceps help in your back workouts, your triceps help with your chest workouts, and they must rest.

Drinking a good quality low carb protein shake post workout will insure that your muscles have what they need to recover properly.

Be sure to mix up your workouts so you don't overwork any one area of your body and add cardio during rest days  8)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

MarkMoxom

• View Profile
    • LowCarb Mag
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 12:48:44 AM »
Hi Siltz,

I switched to low carb during my time as a body builder and I actually found that after I've got into ketosis I actually had more energy and less fatigue such that I cut my session time down from just under an hour and a half to between 25 and 30 minutes doing the same number of reps with the same weight and in fact the gym instructor used to follow me around because he couldn't believe what I was doing in the time I was doing it in.  I think if he would've had his way, he would've had me dope tested.

The only thing I would say the quality of protein that you are taking if you're doing any form of serious exercise has to be high. I know a lot of people resort to whey protein shakes but I would tend to steer away from those because of the other ingredients they contain, things like soy and various artificial sweeteners.

Honestly the best protein you can take if you're exercising to that sort of degree is good old fashioned grass- reared beef. I also agree with Doug wholeheartedly, you should give your body time to rest and also make sure that you're not just drinking water but remember to make up the salts, literally with salt but don't forget to dose up with potassium as well.

Hope that helps,

Mark
Editor of LowCarb Mag
http://lowcarbmag.com/

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 12:52:37 PM »
Hi Siltz, :)

Eggs and natural cheeses are also great sources of natural protein!  8)

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 08:03:09 AM »
Great advice Mark ;)  I don't do whey shakes. I  do 100% soy protein .It buys me time to take a shower and make a proper lunch.If Not I empty the fridge into my mouth :D

jay12

• Shalom to you!
    • View Profile
    • Israeli stiuation-a very desperate one!
    • Email
Re: Re: Low Carbs and Post Workout Muscle Fatigue/Soreness
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 05:32:30 AM »
What Doug said is very true and sleep is very critical to your muscles recovery and build up. Don't fall for the lie that somehow you need carbs to replenish your muscles. The exercise guru's and industry I know, promotes carbs as to recover your musle but we know better in this community.