Author Topic: Collard Greens  (Read 13139 times)

ereino

• View Profile
Re: Collard Greens
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 12:42:24 PM »
Well, the first REAL frost and there goes the garden.  I pulled out all of the rest of the crockett beans; collard for wraps; swiss chard; tomatoes; appless off of trees; basil. 

The thing I made with the basil was yummy pesto:  chopped pecans, parmissan cheese, black olives, lime juice, extra virgin olive oil and a few clumps of basis.  I spread it on my sliced hard boiled eggs in the morning.  What a wonderful breakfast treat.  You may ask how much of everything...it all depense on how much basil you have.  To taste, I would say.  You do need enough olive oil so when you submerge the submering blender, it grabs everything and blends it.  You can also use your food processor, but it takes longer to clean up the mess. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 09:21:53 AM »
Same thing happened here in North Carolina.I had to harvest kale spinach kohlrabi and mustard greens.Doug took all of those chopped them up and made a beautiful mixed green salad ;) Put the extra in the freezer.I never thought about putting pesto on boiled eggs gotta try that enreino ;)

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 01:17:16 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmm Umpa - sounds like a nice garden.  freezing is a good idea.  i didn't have enough to do that. 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 09:58:10 AM »
It was a tough year here too.It rained non stop for 3 1/2 months.Lost all my tomato plants and squash.Just way too much moisture. :)

ereino

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »
I planted a pepper plant and believe it or not, it never got past 1.5 inches.  It was alive and well up until this frost.  Crazy year.

Made some homemade applesauce - i like it chunky - don't each much of it at one sitting, but yum good.  I don't add sugar - only cinnemon.  This time I didn't preserve them - just stuck two quarters in the fridge for near future use.