Author Topic: Coffee Debate?  (Read 4233 times)

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
Coffee Debate?
« on: October 10, 2012, 05:20:04 PM »
Hi Gang,
I know that there is always a heated debate about whether to count carbs for coffee or not so to be on safe side I count a mug of coffee as one net carb. I wonder if flavored coffees are any different? Do I have to worry about counting more net carbs for them. I have recently become obsessed with dunkin donuts spiced pumpkin coffee and have been having heated debates with friends  about how the beans are "flavored" . From the information I have gathered it appears that the flavored coffees are infused with oils and no sugar is added? As a FTS follower how should I be counting this? Thanks Steph

BettyBatter

• View Profile
Re: Coffee Debate?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 05:40:04 PM »
I have no idea about the added sugar thing (though I would think not?)... but now you have me wanting to try that coffee! Did you buy it at DD or the grocery store?

Stephanie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »
at DD : )

shawn116

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 11:44:47 PM »
Hi Stephanie I'm with you...that is the way I thought it was done as well..... until I read this:

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Flavored-Coffee-Bean.html  

Particularly this paragraph:
It is also important to note that, instead of flavoring whole beans, flavors in dry form can be blended with ground coffee. In such cases, the flavors are encapsulated in starch or some other powdered matrix. There is enough moisture in the coffee to promote transfer of flavor and color from the encapsulated flavors to the coffee grounds in about 24 hours after mixing.

We all know that starch and powdered matrix means added carbs   :-\
Now it makes me wonder which products do it this way.... ??? ???  hmmm    I'm thinking it is probably best to buy the whole beans and grind my own or even add my own flavoring.  

I absolutely love the Pumpkin spice but the cinnamon roll is my favorite  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:48:14 PM by TooSweet »

morgan

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 12:51:50 AM »
Could someone explain to me how instant coffee has 'sugar' (carbs) in it.  Do we or do we not count carbs in coffee?
Please help.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 10:38:06 AM »
I could not live without coffee! I will have doug chime in ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 11:14:02 AM »
Could someone explain to me how instant coffee has 'sugar' (carbs) in it.  Do we or do we not count carbs in coffee?
Please help.

Hi Morgan! :)

Like many prepackaged foods, anti-caking additives are used in some instant coffees.
These additives often have carbs.

Coffee alone may have a tiny amount. But not worth worrying about unless you're drinking a few pots a day.

If you don't have one, I suggest you buy a drip coffee maker and brew your own.
Then you'll know you're avoiding the additive carbs.

Tony
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 01:44:49 PM »
Yes Tony is right.  In my searching I couldn't find any concrete information about carbs or additives they use for the flavored stuff as well as the instant coffees.  I really was surprised to find that many instant coffees have stuff added to them.  Funny.....sometimes it just takes asking the right question to get the info to come up.  I decided to go the gluten route and found these links.

http://www.carb-counter.org/beverages/search/Coffee/1400

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/can-drink-coffee-gluten-diet-5746.html 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/484445-is-flavored-coffee-gluten-free/

With comments like this:

Like spices, some manufacturers use trace amounts of gluten as anti-caking agents - but the amount isn't required to be on the label.

It makes since why there would be carbs in them.  What is frustrating is that they don't have to list it on the label.  Grrrrrr    I'm beginning to wonder about my loved K-cups now.  I've seen some comments that they even have instant in them  :o :o  I just assumed that they were just coffee grounds. 

To be clear....this isn't saying that every brand is going to have additives in them, but you can bet if it has gluten in it....there will be some kind of carb. 

I would say call the company of the brand that you use and ask if it is truly just freeze dried coffee with nothing added to it  ;)

We sure need better product labeling  >:(   I thought we had it bad with the hidden carbs......bless anyone who has to stay away from gluten.  Talk about a challenge  :-\

AliciaInTX

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 10:41:27 AM »
I was at the grocery store last night and happened to notice that they carried a few different kinds of flavored stevia drops. I didn't buy them...but thought it was interesting. This site has a couple of the flavors, including toffee and chocolate. It might make the coffee taste good! If you don't like these flavors, search around online and see if you can find some you do like!
http://www.puritan.com/buy/categories/flavored-stevia

AliciaInTX

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 10:47:04 AM »
I just checked and there are several SweetLeaf brand Stevia flavors on Amazon. Maybe you could use the toffee or cinnamon flavor and then add some pumpkin pie spice to a little whipping cream! I might have to try that for a yummy dessert this winter when I'm missing my favorite pumpkin spice and gingerbread lattes.

shawn116

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 11:06:24 AM »
I have decided for myself to be safe to do what Tony suggests and brew my own instead to buying the flavored coffees.  Unless I buy the whole bean that is and grind my own.  Torani and Davinci syrups have wonderful flavorings as well if you aren't a stevia fan.  I already have a cabnet full of those.....looks like a coffee shop around here   ;D ;D   haha   

Thanks for the links Alicia.  Also just regular old coffee with cream, zero and pumpkin pie spice sprinkled in will work  ;)  I love to use just plain old cinnamon.  I'm just crying because those K-cups are just so darn conveniant.  :'(    I should quit whining, I might save myself some $$$  HA!

Just to be clear guys.....I'm not saying that all manufactures add anything other than coffee to their products....I just wanted everyone to be aware that some do and they don't have to list it   :(

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 09:22:06 AM »
Please review this post for the coffee facts- http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=1382.0

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)