Author Topic: NEW DIET  (Read 16606 times)

millie

• View Profile
    • Email
NEW DIET
« on: April 16, 2012, 10:30:43 AM »
 CANNOT FIND FOOD IN MY AREA,

CAN I MAKE PANCAKES
WITH WHEY PROTEIN MIX
EGGS OR EGGS WHITES
AND CAN I ALSO ADD SOLUBLE FIBER.

GOING ON VACATION THIS BREAD MIGHT BE A PROBLEM.

CAN I ALSO USE AGAVE.

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: NEW DIET
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 10:38:27 AM »
Welcome, Millie.

No on the Agave.  It is another form of sugar.  As long as your source of soluble fiber doesn't include added sugar (check the label) you'll be okay with it.  Someone else will chime in on a pancake recipe with whey protein mix but be careful with those, too.  Some have sugar added (again watch the labels). 

Your best bet for staples is probably going to be the internet on sites like netrition.com.  They ship quickly for a relatively small shipping charge and they have all the basics and lots of other fun stuff.

It takes a commitment to make these changes but the trade off in better health and more energy are more than worth it.

Good luck and come back to the forum to ask questions and share your successes.

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 11:10:39 AM »
Welcome to the family, millie!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Andrea is SO right!... ALWAYS read nutrition labels!
You'll find that many foods that have them also have carbs.

It's the amount of carbs and the ingredient list you must watch.

For me, even if the net carb count seems low, if any of the first three ingredients is know to be high carb (like wheat, corn syrup, sugar, rice, etc.), I won't buy it!

I'm not a pancake fan. But I'm sure someone will chime in soon, who is. ;)
What you do today is what matters!

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:36:28 PM »
Welcome Millie! The OMM (One Minute Muffin) can be made in pancake form (and bread form for sandwiches, French toast...). They're easier and faster than any mix. Very versatile recipe.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 04:18:26 PM »
i Millie, pancake recipes can be found in your FAT TO SKINNY Book on pages, 145, 148 and 155  ;) Have you read the book yet?
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

shawn116

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:35:08 PM »
Hi Millie  Welcome to the forum  :)   It's frustrating when you can't find the foods that you need... I sure know the feeling  :P  Andrea is right though you can order on-line and it comes very quickly if you can't find it locally.  I'm sure there are some things close to you though if you know what you are looking for  ;)  I like to buy my golden flax at walmart ( I find it in the cereal section usually next to the wheat germ and granola) That makes a great pancake using the one minute muffin recipe ( http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=968.120 ) , as well as almond meal ( you can make your own by grinding some whole almonds in a coffee grinder)  It takes a little practice to find the things that you need but well worth the effort.  

Here is a recipe that I found using the whey protein  ;) ;)  I don't think there is one on this forum.  She has a ton of great recipes on her site so take a look around.  I haven't found any I didn't like yet.  You can find it here: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/better_than_boxed_pancakes.html   I haven't tried this one myself so please let us know how it is if you do  ;D  don't forget to look around our forum for all the great recipes you can find here.....Again welcome
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:38:03 PM by TooSweet »

SarahC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 10:53:12 PM »
Looks like a great pancake, TooSweet! I'll try it in the morning and let you know how it works!

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 10:55:49 PM »
Thanks Sarah    I've had it in my file to try for a while I just hadn't gotten around to it yet     It does look good  ::)

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 07:26:35 AM »
Hi Millie and welcome!  I love pancakes on the FTS plan.  I like to top them with some chopped strawberries and a little whipped cream...tastes more like a strawberry shortcake!  Also, the sugar free pancake syrup is really good....no sugar crash later in the morning either.   Prior to FTS, I couldn't eat regular pancakes because by lunch time, I would get all shaky and break out in a cold sweat.  (I guess it was hypoglycemia ..?)   The sugar free pancakes made with flaxseed will keep you full until dinner time!

millie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »
hi its millie 
thank you everyone who replied to my post

can i use almond meal instead of almond butter to make pancakes?

god bless

Maddysmom

• Global Moderator
  • A year from now you'll wish you'd started today
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 12:59:25 PM »
I've made pancakes with almond meal as well as flax meal.  It's just which ever you like best.  The flax meal comes out to zero net carbs.....I like that!  :)

shawn116

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »
Hi Millie   Here is the recipe  ;)  
  One-Minute Muffin

I’ll post the original “1-Minute Muffin” recipe I found, but definitely look at the many variations below...

.   Melt 1 T butter in a coffee cup or measuring cup.
.   Mix in ¼ cup flaxseed meal, (can use almond meal, oat fiber, coconut flour or a  mixture, i.e. half flax, half almond)
.   ½ tsp baking powder
.   1 egg
.   Sweetener (to personal taste): 1 tsp xylitol or 1-2 Spenda pkts or 1 T S/F flavored syrup (Torani/Da Vinci)

Mix well – microwave approximately 50-60 seconds (depending on micro wattage).  Turn out and let cool.  Muffin top should look shiny and a little moist. Serve w/butter or cream cheese while warm or plastic wrap for later.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To get you started, here are a few ideas...

Banana Bread Muffin:  Add cinnamon/nutmeg, S/F Banana Syrup/extract, and nuts
Breakfast Muffin:  Add cinnamon, vanilla,
Spice Muffin:  Add cinnamon, allspice, and cloves
Cheese Muffin:  Add garlic powder and cheese of choice.  
Chocolate-Raspberry Muffin:  add S/F Chocolate and Raspberry syrups, and a cream cheese cube in the center.            

Chocolate Lava Muffin:  An individual Happy Birthday Cake (for the person looking for a recipe a while back!!)

1/4 Cup Almond Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 Tbsp Splenda (more or less), (probably less if using Xylitol)
2 tsp. Torani Chocolate SF Syrup
1 Tbsp unsweetened Baking Cocoa (mine has 1 carb per Tbsp)
1 Egg
2 tsp. Butter or Olive Oil
2 pieces S/F Chocolate Candy on top of mixture.

Pumpkin Pie Muffin:  Add 1 tsp Pumpkin spice and ½ tsp cinnamon
Stuffing Muffin:  Replace sweetener & cinnamon with poultry seasoning & salt.

Now MORE ideas...
Nuke the mixture in a rectangular or square plastic container.  Cool and slice horizontally to make Sandwich Bread!!!  CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??!!  Now we can make grilled cheese; Reuben’s; egg salad; fried egg/bacon; BLTs, etc..  OR, dip slices in an egg/cream/cinnamon mixture and fry to make FRENCH TOAST, and top with S/F Maple Syrup!  Someone even made waffles with the original mixture!

Nuke in a round container (like the coffee mug), cool and slice horizontally.  Now we have a hamburger/sandwich bun; or the foundation for a McMuffin – I personally am looking forward to turning my faux English muffin into a Tuna Melt!!

More Tips/Ideas found on an old, Low-Carb board:  

SANDWICH/BREAD/ROLLS:  “I make these, split the recipe between two square dishes and make 2 buns suitable for sandwiches, once sliced. For turkey sandwiches I add crushed red pepper, PARM, ITALIAN SEASONING, onion powder or garlic powder to the OMM (One Minute Muffin) recipe. I also add dill seed, celery seed, and coarse sea salt to the tops for all kinds of sandwiches.  This recipe is a lifesaver to anybody who misses bread.  I also use golden flax seed for a mellow yellow color.  Remember when you remove from dish, turn bread over to dry out the bottom if a little wet. I store mine in ziploc baggies.”

3-Minute LOAF:

“This is basically the "1-minute muffin" recipe, but tripled, made savory and cooked for 3-minutes.

3/4 Cup Flax meal
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tsp. Mrs. Dash, or Italian Blend Seasoning
3 Large Eggs
3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
Sprinkle of Parmesean on top

Mix the dry ingredients in a loaf dish (like the holiday-size, banana nut bread, etc.). Add eggs and oil, mixing very well. I notice that if the dry ingredients are not thoroughly mixed, or the wet-big pockets are left in the bread, so mix it up good! Sprinkle Parmesean Cheese on top. Microwave for about 3-minutes, my microwave takes 2:50 to complete.

Pop out of the baking dish. Slice the loaf in half. Then slice each half in half, making 4 slices total. Each slice should have 1.13 total net carbs, or each complete sandwich should have 2.25 total net carbs. Each slice is about 3/4 inch thick.  This is a keeper! Next time, I'll top it with some sunflower seeds, maybe some celery seeds or a very light sprinkling of oats.”

I’m am soooo excited about this recipe and its endless possibilities that I just had to share with everyone here on FTS!!! The 1-Minute Muffin is easy AND clean-up is just a cup and a fork!!!  

Please be sure to post your creations so we all can try...

Jo

Taken from the post I left you the link to above.  Almond meal works really nice as a flour replacement.  Not the almond butter that is a different story  ;).... you want to grind your almonds to a just beyond corn meal consistancy  ;)  Be sure to count the carbs for it though.  The reason I like to use the golden flax other than it tastes great, very filling, adding much needed fiber in your diet...... it is a zero carb count once you subtract the fiber grams.   The almond meal works just as good and is very tastey.....I think some peeps on the forum prefer the almond meal over the flax, it's a matter of your taste   :)  Maybe I should add that you would use this as your batter and cook in the frying pan or even waffle iron  :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:17:44 PM by TooSweet »

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 01:12:37 PM »
Wow Shawn!... I forgot to tell Millie about the wondrous One Minute Muffin (OMM).
My senior moments seem to be getting longer and longer! :D :D

Thanks for bringing it up! :) :) :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 01:31:12 PM by mouseissue »
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 01:16:24 PM »
 ;) :-* ;D

Andrea

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 05:34:27 PM »
I think we take the one minute muffin for granted.  It's part of our landscape so we forget to mention it.