Author Topic: Madeira Cake with Coconut Recipe  (Read 7723 times)

Joanne

• View Profile
Madeira Cake with Coconut Recipe
« on: May 15, 2010, 04:58:40 PM »
Umpa
Can you try to convert this recipe?

4oz Self Raising Flour
4oz Sunflower Margarine
3oz Xylitol (or 3-4 ounces caster sugar)
1 Small lemon
1oz Fine Cornmeal/Polenta
2 Eggs
1oz Unsweetened Desiccated Coconut
Cream together the margarine and xylitol  until light and fluffy.Add the zest of one small unwaxed lemon and squeeze in approximately 1-2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.Add eggs, flour,cornmeal and coconut.Mix very well.
Pour Madeira cake batter into a small greased and floured tin.
Place into a hot oven at 180C cook for 35-40 minutes or until golden and spongy to the touch.
Do not open the oven door for at least 25-30 minutes or else the cake will sink.Leave the Madeira and coconut cake in the cake tin for 5-10 minutes before removing it and leaving the cake to cool.After the cake is cooked you can brush the top of the cake with fresh lemon juice and sprinkle with coconut if desired, you can even sprinkle on a little lemon zest for decoration.'

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Madeira Cake with Coconut Recipe
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 07:23:50 PM »
I will try ! What is sunflower margarine? Is that a brand name?

Cathy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 08:38:07 PM »
I believe that sunflower margarine is dairy free.  Suppose to be healthier. 

[/url]

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 09:36:37 AM »
Check the carbs on the margarine,usually if they take out the fat they add sugar.This is a beautiful recipe I cant wait to try it!For the flour would use soy flour because you dont need that much.I would also add baking soda(2 teaspoons) and cream of tartar(2 teaspoons) to the soy flour before adding it to the mix for a little rise.For the lemon I would use lemon extract(available in grocery store I like the Mcormick brand)You will get a strong flavor with no sugar.The cornmeal i would use dixie diner corn muffin mix right out of the bag.You can put the rest of the bag away to coat fish with or use in other recipes.Other than that your recippe is beautiful.Please post after you make it, this will be very popular!

Joanne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:37:58 PM »
Umpa
the sunflower margarine is made from sunflower oil.
I think I'll just use butter.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 02:13:47 PM »
There you go Joanne! i deal with people everyday from countrys all over the world, I can't keep up with the names of all the products!Let me know how your cake works out ;D