Author Topic: Savory Italian Sausage Stew......I love the stuff  (Read 34535 times)

suzlyn454

• View Profile
Re: Savory Italian Sausage Stew......I love the stuff
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 01:14:10 PM »
I have a skillet of this simmering right now.  I had zucchini, squash and tomatoes that needed to be used.  I found a brand "Southern Style Smoked Sausage" that is 0 carbs to use in this dish.  I also had 3/4 cup of black soy beans left from making soups the other day so I threw them in...don't know that it'll change the flavor but doubt it.  Sure smells good and looks great.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 01:22:29 PM by suzlyn454 »
Look out Hawaii, I'm on my way!!

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2011, 02:30:59 PM »
Wow Suz!!!... Let us know how it turns out.

It looks absolutely wonderful!
My mouth is watering! :) :) :)
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2011, 06:01:19 PM »
Ok so here is my go at it....... Oh goodness!!!  I can't wait for the hubs to get home because the little taste I had was so good  :o :o  I took this picture and was sad because it looked like it blurred a little but then I realized that it was steam....LOL  I think this is going to be a winner in this house!!   ;D ;D

I have some Carbquick garlic/cheddar biscits in the oven to go with.... not sure how those will be but they smell pretty good.  This will be perfect for this chilly day  ;)

shawn116

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2011, 07:37:24 PM »
This was really very good!!  A very nice change I think..... Hubs and I both thought maybe next time just to change it up a bit I might add some shrimp to the mix, but it is really perfect the way it is... thanks Doug  ;D

Sadly I can't say to much about the biscuts  :'(  I think maybe I need more practice working with the carbquick.  They were very tuff if left to cool to much.  Much better right out of the oven  I'll be ready for that next time  :-\   I'm kinda on the fence as to if it is worth the extra carbs though I can really do without  ::)

I am so full  :P  LOL

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2011, 07:45:47 PM »
... Sadly I can't say to much about the biscuts  :'(  I think maybe I need more practice working with the carbquick.  They were very tuff if left to cool to much.  Much better right out of the oven  I'll be ready for that next time  :-\   I'm kinda on the fence as to if it is worth the extra carbs though I can really do without  ::)

I am so full  :P  LOL

Hi Shawn! :)

Don't feel bad... I remember some years ago making biscuits that were fit to be hockey pucks. :D :D :D

shawn116

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 10:51:06 PM »
Yep I believe it would be very good  ;D 

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2011, 09:25:01 AM »
I've really enjoyed watching each of you cook your own versions of this recipe, it's been fun.  ;D  Marty, don't forget to count the carbs in the mussels. Yep, mussels have carbs..... 6 net carbs per cup :o
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2011, 09:30:11 AM »
I just tried steelhead trout for the first time this year and I love it! I actually thought it was salmon.Thats my latest ingredient I am playing with.I think I want to do a seafood chowder next. ;)

shawn116

« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2011, 10:03:54 AM »

Don't feel bad... I remember some years ago making biscuits that were fit to be hockey pucks.

Tony I think you are right with the hockey pucks....LOL  these were awful  :P :P  I think I may have worked the dough a bit to much...LOL  The ones using the cheese and garlic came out not so bad.  Recipe was on the box.  I love a biscut with a little honey when I am eating a spicy soup though.  I was a bit disappointed  :-\  Cooking with low carb flours is a challenge sometimes for sure  ;)  Alas I will try again...  ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2011, 02:01:01 PM »
I didn't like the carbquick toosweet ,it had aftertaste to me.I like to cook from scratch. ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2011, 07:43:27 PM »
I just tried steelhead trout for the first time this year and I love it! I actually thought it was salmon.Thats my latest ingredient I am playing with.I think I want to do a seafood chowder next. ;)

Hi Umpa! :)

Steelhead are absolutely delicious!!! :) :) :)

Steelhead trout is basically a rainbow trout that migrates to the sea each year after spawning.
And then return to their natal streams shortly before they spawn again to repeat the process.

They have a distinctive mild salmon flavor.
When they are fresh caught and eaten the same day, they taste more like a rainbow trout with a kick! ;)

shawn116

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 07:51:36 PM »
I didn't like the carbquick toosweet ,it had aftertaste to me.I like to cook from scratch.

Yes I agree Umpa..... I just wanted to try it though.  I love making chicken and dumplings in the cold months... It would be nice to have a easy way to make them.  I've always used the bisquick for that.  My Grandmother had a butter scotch dumpling recipe (basically a simple dumpling with butter scotch sauce)  that could be made with that..... I remember it was always very sweet and rich but fun to have when we were kids.  Yummy hot dessert.  I think the carbquick is ok if it has flavors mixed in to hide the aftertaste.  Plain is a no go.... :P :P

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2011, 10:07:07 AM »
I like the flavor alot Tony.It has more oil than salmon so it doesn't dry out on the grill.Beautiful fish!I think it would make a great chowder because it has so much flavor! ;)
Toosweet to save time I have tried many pre-mixed baking products like Carbquik and I always end up making my own ;) I love the butterscotch dumpling idea!I have seen them served in Lexington/Columbia S.C where I am from with a blueberry sauce.YUMMY! ;D

freeinHim

« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2011, 08:49:44 PM »
I made the stew tonight with hot ground Italian sausage (16oz) and an extra 1/2 c each of the zucchini and tomato, to use them up.  YYUUMMM!  ;D   Although, I'll tell you that I'm not sure how you'd get four servings out of it.  Mine made a total of just a smidge over 3 cups.  So, I split it into 3 servings of 7 net carbs each (eek!) as a result of the extra tomato and zucchini.  It was awesome, but it'd be nice to figure out a way to reduce the carbs a little bit.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 08:46:50 AM »
The amount of tomatoes.You don't need alot to make the broth. ;)