Author Topic: Sugar Free BBQ Sauce recipe  (Read 18065 times)

shawn116

Sugar Free BBQ Sauce recipe
« on: April 24, 2011, 06:20:46 PM »
Hi yall

I was hungry for some BBQ today but couldn't find and sauce that I would dare to eat.  I know there is probably one I can order out there but that may take a few days to get.   I decided to look for a recipe out there and found this one.    I haven't tried it yet but thought it sounded really good.  I'm not to sure about their carb count though.  When I put it into my recipe book I have it came up with 3.96 carbs with .89 fiber = 3.07 net carbs per 1/4 cup serving  ??? ??? not sure if I am right... sorry just new at this....hee hee  Should I bother?  I hate to make it and it not be worth using my carbs on it...LOL  Maybe there are a few things I can do to lower the carb count even more??

Ingredients:
•2 strips of thick bacon, chopped fine (or see note)
•1 small onion, minced
•1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
•1 small can (6 oz) tomato paste
•1 can (12 oz) diet (sugar-free) cola - Splenda-sweetened preferred
•1/4 cup low carb (sugar-free) catsup, (or see note)
•3 T mustard
•1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
•1 pinch ground cloves
•Hot sauce to taste
Preparation:
Note 1: If you prefer to leave the bacon out, add 1-3 teaspoons of liquid smoke, to taste, near the end of the cooking. Alternatively, add some smoky flavor using 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, or chipotle powder to taste.

Note 2: If you can't find low carb catsup, leave it out, but add about a tablespoon of vinegar and some sweetener, to taste.

1) Fry the bacon in a saucepan - a 2 qt pan works well.

2) Add the onion and cook over medium until soft - 3-5 minutes. Add garlic at this point if you're using fresh and stir it for half a minute or so.

3) Add the rest of the ingredients, plus about half a cup of water. Stir well. 4) Simmer for 20-30 minutes. It will cook down a bit and flavors will combine. 5) Adjust the seasonings so you have the balance you want - you can add vinegar, artificial sweetener (liquid preferred), or hot sauce. (If it's too hot, adding more sweetener will tone it down.)

(They say)
The recipe makes approximately 10 servings of 1/4 cup each. Each serving has about 3.5 grams of carbohydrate plus 1 gram of fiber.

Here is the link for the original recipe:  http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/saucesandmarinades/r/nosugarbbqsauce.htm  (making sure I give credit  ;) )
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 11:57:11 PM by TooSweet »

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
  • Low Carb for Long Life!
    • View Profile
Re: Sugar Free BBQ Sauce recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 12:14:33 PM »
Hi TooSweet! :)

One of the cool things about cooking low carb is making substitutions.

If you find one ingredient rather high in carbs, you could use another instead.
For example, if your hot sauce is 4  net carbs, try substituting Tobasco (only 1 carb per tsp).

As far as premade BBQ sauce, my wife and I find Walden Farms Thick & Spicy Barbeque Sauce is really good! ;)
What you do today is what matters!

shawn116

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 05:03:19 PM »
Thanks Mouseissue....

I will be sure and order some when i get a chance.  I really like to experiment in the kitchen so I will probably come up with some things.  Not sure if they will always taste good :o....LOL 

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 09:53:11 AM »
The tomato paste is your issue here, how much does this make? :)

shawn116

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 05:29:46 PM »
Hi Umpa

Here is what they say:  The recipe makes approximately 10 servings of 1/4 cup each. Each serving has about 3.5 grams of carbohydrate plus 1 gram of fiber.

So if I am right it would be 2 1/2 cups to make 10.  I guess it wouldn't be to bad if you didn't use a lot and I suppose there are probably better choices out there.  I do like to experiment in the kitchen though....LOL  Hard to break old habits.   ::)  I know I can still do that I just need to learn new ways of doing it.    My daughter and I love the one minute muffins so we are getting there  :D :D :D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 12:25:07 PM »
I prefer to cook my own things too.I don't think there is anything wrong with your recipe but the tomato paste which I use but I measure so i have a  accurate carb count.I do however use a brush when I apply barbeque sauce so I can control the amount of carbs .Add some xylitol(1/8 cup) to your sauce and you will get a little carmelization.Or you can also use sugarfree maple syrup(log cabin) in the sauce to sweeten it up. ;)
Don't forget grilled veggies yummy!

shawn116

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 05:18:54 PM »
Thanks Umpa I will try that... I does sound yummy with some grilled veggies  :D

shawn116

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 11:20:28 PM »
Mouseissue I just wanted to thank you for the tip on the Walden Farms Thick & Spicy Barbeque Sauce.  I was in a neighboring town today and ran in a grocery to see if they had any of the items that I haven't been able to find.  I have been afraid that I would have to place a order online for almost everything.  LOL  To my surprise they had quite a few things one of them being the BBQ sauce.  I have to say I am quite impressed.  We had grilled hamburger steaks tonight and I basted this on while cooking.  Let me just say it was oh so good.   Hubs told me to throw away the other "bad" stuff we had on hand....LOL  I think he is starting to pay attention....woot!!! ;D ;D ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 08:53:27 AM »
Hubs will be on board quick! He just doesn't want to starve or eat rabbit food.Once he figures out he can eat well on fat to skinny you will have him.The weight pours off men.They lose it so fast its not funny! ;)

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 11:53:53 AM »
Hi TooSweet! :)

You are very welcome!!!

I'm happy to hear both of you like the BBQ sauce.
I'm also glad to hear that your hubby requested that you throw out the "bad" sauce.
He'll be fully on board the FTS train before you know it! ;)

F2S-Awesome

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 11:59:13 AM »
The WF bbq sauce doesn’t caramelize and I have yet to find a sugar free one that does, and your tip “and Add some xylitol (1/8 cup) to your sauce and you will get a little carmelization” has me very excited. I may have to get some ribs today :) Thanks umpa, you rock

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 12:51:47 PM »
Adding some xylitol to BBQ sauce is a GREAT idea!!!
It would help make it stick on to meat on the BBQ.

When it warms up a bit more, I'm gonna try this on the barbie! ;)

F2S-Awesome

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 12:57:01 PM »
Thanks 4 the welcome Mouseissue. I agree. I really really miss caramelizing meat on the grill, especially ribs. This might bring the "yum" back to grilling again. Ok so now what is xylitol, where do I get it, how much is it, and is one brand better than another?

mouseissue

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 01:12:23 PM »
Hi F2S-Awesome! :)

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol (i.e. sweetener).

I cook a with xylitol frequently. So like Doug and Umpa, I buy it in a large bag.
http://www.vitaminlife.com/product-exec/PNAME/Xylitol_Mega_Pack/product_id/54599

You can also find it online in smaller sizes:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Dhpc&field-keywords=xylitol&sprefix=xylitol

Also check you local health food stores.
They usually carry it.

CAUTION!... Xylitol is POISONOUS to dogs!
If you have pets, be careful with it and the foods you make with it.

Also, don't consume too much at one time.
Sugar alcohols are notorious for causing intestinal gas and other problems.

F2S-Awesome

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 01:19:19 PM »
OK, ty MouseIssue. :)