Author Topic: Calorie/Carb Problems...  (Read 4306 times)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
Calorie/Carb Problems...
« on: March 03, 2011, 01:32:38 PM »
I've been a little hesitant to post about this...but I could use some input. So, my weight really hasn't changed in two weeks. Not a huge deal, but I do have a concern. I think the reason why is because I don't eat enough. I only eat when I'm hungry, and when I'm hungry, I'm really hungry...and I stop as soon as I'm satisfied...which is usually pretty quickly. I know we don't necessarily count calories on this program, but on a whim, one day I decided to count my calories, my husband was concerned I wasn't getting enough. What I found shocked the crud out of me. Somewhere between a week and two weeks, I've barely, sometimes not all, broken over 200 calories a day...200. I know it's because veggies are low in calories...but 200 I think is too low. I consulted with a friend about this, and we both agreed, that my body might think it's starving even though I eat when I'm hungry and eat good portions, my caloric content is very low. At best, I might can hit 500 calories, but never more. So, I think that might be another reason I'm stalled. I've found no hidden carbs and I eat no sugar alcohols...none of my food has any in it and I only drink almond milk and water...I could drink more almond milk though. My question is, does anyone have advice on how to increase my calories without increasing my carbs? I'm going to order the GG BrandCrisp bread today, the LaTortillas, and one of the special cereals and maybe a Walden's Farms spaghetti sauce...maybe that will help? I appreciate all input. Today I was 223...trying to get to 165.
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

Rena

Re: Calorie/Carb Problems...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 05:10:42 PM »
Yes, I think you need more food. Your body can't function well on that low of calories. The tortillas will help. If you get the smaller ones, they're 50 calories and 3 net carbs. The bigger ones are 6 carbs. You can load those up with veggies and stuff. Give the soy a try again, too. I know you said you weren't crazy about it, but you have to eat something! You mentioned pizza to me -- how do you make that if you don't eat cheese? Do you use a vegan replacement?

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 07:08:01 PM »
Hey Rena! Thanks for commenting :) it was cricket quiet on here  :P. GUESS WHAT? I found the La Tortillas at Kroger today  ;D I'm making pizza on them tonight with a friend! When I make pizza, I simply skip the cheese and make it cheese-less. It actually tastes very, very good. I use low carb tomato sauce or a few cherry tomatoes and make my own, Italian seasonings, calamato and green and black olives (love olives but gotta watch carbs so I slice em small) and baby spinach...sometimes I add other things, don't like artichoke and asparagus tastes weird on pizza, but it's great just the way I said!!! Other people add onions and mushroom but I don't like those. I also found Dream Fields pasta...I bought a box but need more insight before I eat it...it says 41 carbs, 5 fiber, but only 5 digestible carbs...so I'm looking for someone who might know a little more on it. Anyways, I'm hoping the GG Crispbread (i ordered today) will help too, and the cereal, which I will order :) still hoping for any suggestions. Love you Rena and thanks a bunch.
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 09:28:10 PM »
Yeah, I found it right after I posted...  ::) go figure!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 08:37:09 AM »
You need to eat a meal plan.Plan your meals so that your nutritional needs are met until you get the hang of things.Your diet is so messed up that your body is holding on to every pound because it doesn't know when food is coming or whats coming.You are destroying your metabolism. ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 10:02:49 AM »
Taby, please review this post-http://www.fattoskinny.net/index.php?topic=2164.msg19477
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

momx04

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 10:42:30 AM »
Thanks Doug,

I hadn't seen that post before.  Very informative and keeping me on track!

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
~ Dr. Suess

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 11:09:46 AM »
Very helpful Doug and Umpa! I know you're right because my protein isn't that great...it's pretty low, of course, due to my diet, that is hard to achieve. I used to get a lot of protein from Ezekiel bread and beans/rice, but also a lot of carbs...which made me fat. Umpa, you're right too, my meals aren't balanced...my life is so hectic, it's really hard to balance everything out, not impossible, but very hard. I'm not intentionally not providing my body the nutrients it needs, it's just hard to do with primarily veggies and a little soy. You're also right about the salad, I pointed that out a while back myself, it burns through me quickly and the carbs add up FAST, and I couldn't get people to see that. It seems that all my carbs add up fast, so I end up limited because the veggies add up so fast...UGH. I'm trying to get creative, and I am, but it's hard to meet my protein counts without leaving me with too few carbs and still be able to eat a decent portion size. Like today for lunch, I'm having a wrap with the LaTortilla (store only carries the big ones) with shredded spinach, tomato, calamato, green, and black olives, crushed red pepper, red wine vinegar, and olive oil...12 carbs...had no breakfast and will figure out dinner soon enough...but just for the wrap ( a hearty one) is more than half my carbs for the day. I may need a little assistance with meal plans...I'm not doing great on my own, and skip breakfast a lot because of carbs, but I think that when I order the cereal , it will get better. Any help is appreciated guys and ladies :) love you all, have a blessed day.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 09:04:18 AM »
Taby, I want you to make this recipe........trust me, you're going to love it! VERY filling, full of protein and you feel like you're eating mac and cheese  ;)

Macafoney and Cheese

INGREDIENTS
1 lb extra firm tofu
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/3rd cup bertolli alfredo sauce
2 eggs or egg substitute
¼ cup chopped onion
½ cup cubed cooked ham or Boca Burger if desired
ground parmesan or romano cheese
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 lb. tofu ( extra firm, well-drained, and cubed into ½-inch cubes), 2 cups cheddar cheese, 2 eggs, beaten, 1/3rd cup Bertolli Alfredo sauce, ¼ cup chopped onion & salt and pepper.  If desired, ½ cup of cubed ham can also be added. Pour mixture into a well-greased, shallow casserole dish, individual casseroles, or pie plate. Bake at 375°F for 30-45 minutes until golden brown and slightly crunchy on top. Sprinkle grated parmesan or Romano cheese on top prior to serving.   

TIP - Cook this recipe in individual baking dishes, prepare extras, and freeze uncooked inside individual bake wear for a fast easy meal.   

Video supported recipe! Go to this website to watch me make it for you.

http://www.fattoskinny.com/recipes.htm

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 10:30:54 AM »
I would, but I don't really have any cheese substitutes that aren't high in carbs...I have one but it's like a queso, it's a little odd, the other ones don't melt (I've never figured out why LOL)...my egg replacer is 3 carbs per "egg" too, I'm allergic to onion but I could skip it. If I knew how to make a cheese replacer...but the main reason I don't eat tofu is because I can't digest it well, I don't like it, silken or firm, but I can't digest it, among with a  mass of other things. The Boca seems to be the only one that doesn't make me ill...I'll see what I can come up with...thanks Doug! Hope you have a great Sunday.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 11:01:47 AM »
Just as a side note I want you to be open to changes in your body now that you're removing carbs. When I first met Umpa she was allergic to meats of all kinds, couldn't eat meats they would send her into seizures. Within a month or two of eating FTS we found ourselves in a rib joint in Alabama. Umpa decided she wanted to give them a try, of course I didn't want to give up my ribs  :) chuckle  :) but alas she was convincing. Well, I'll tell you what....she was like a kid in a candy store and has never looked back. She's never had another seizure even though she had them for years and she's a true blue carnivore.

The moral to the story is don't be afraid to reintroduce things in moderation back into your eating plan and see how it feels.  ;)   

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 11:07:03 AM »
:) will do Doug. I usually discover I am or am not having adverse reactions to something when it "slips" into my food without knowing, the other day a slice of red onion got in my salad from Subway...not good. My doctors at first suspected I had Celiac's...I don't thank goodness because I absolutely love the LaTortillas :) eat them everyday. They are so awesome. I'm very ill today unfortunately, so I'm going to have a tortilla with butter...I think it will sooth my hungry but sick tummy :) so glad you and Rena told me about those...I'm addicted!

Rena

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 03:37:58 PM »
I agree with trying a small amount of something and seeing how it affects you now.

Not in 10 million years would I thought I'd be cooking with flaxmeal or have soybeans in my freezer!

:o  :o  :o  :o