Author Topic: another version of cauliflower mashed potatoes?  (Read 41850 times)

krystlestar00

• View Profile
    • Email
another version of cauliflower mashed potatoes?
« on: February 01, 2011, 06:56:09 PM »
i really love mashed potatoes so i like the idea of a substitute version with cauliflower. but is there another way to make them? i just can't eat any kind of mayo, i never liked it.

owensmath

Re: another version of cauliflower mashed potatoes?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 07:03:18 PM »
You can put sour cream in it. I haven't tried it with cream cheese, but it seems that it would be good...Has anyone else tried it with cream cheese?

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 07:06:04 PM »
I know this will sound weird to you but the mayo disappears...you don't taste it. at least I don't. Of course you can simply use butter but it won't be as smooth...maybe add a little heavy cream and salt  :-\ 

By the way WELCOME!!!!!!
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

krystlestar00

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 07:18:02 PM »
thanks for the input.

owensmath

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 07:34:29 PM »
Know what's funny? I made it twice and my kids ate it both times but they hate mayo. The only reason they stopped eating it is because they walked in on me making it one time and it's all in their head now. I was being very careful and sneaky, but not sneaky enough apparently!

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 09:14:33 AM »
krystlestar00 Welcome! I am umpa, dougs wife.If I can help you please ask. You can make them with sour cream and butter.I do that when I make twice baked cauli mash. potatoes. Play with adding shredded cheeses and cream cheese(heated in the microwave so it will mix.) I have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I can convert your favorite foods to fat to skinny friendly.  ;)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 12:41:49 AM »
I'm kind of late finding this and responding, but when I make mashed cauliflower, I use vegan butter (zero carbs) and veggie broth (a few carbs) but you could use chicken broth...and that's it, it comes out creamy and great! The broth adds great flavor :) the only thing, after it sits a day or so you have to mix it with a spoon or fork cuz the broth runs a little but then it's great again :)
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 08:31:48 AM »
TabyandZayBaby  How are you doing? :)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 03:41:36 PM »
Hey Umpa! I'm doing well, thanks for asking! My weight loss picked up again when I stopped being so strict on myself and I'm down to 215 :) my first weight loss goal is under 200, then 185, then 165. I've been at 215 for maybe a week or so? Now I'm just struggling to find new food ideas. I went through all the recipes I could last night on here and on the net and nothing really jumped at me. I'm having a hard time coming up with new meals :\ thinking about taking the mashed cauliflower, and making little patties and frying them like you would do mashed potato patties, or how we do in the deep south ;)
May you be blessed in all your endeavors, but most importantly, may you be humble. God keep you.

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 09:40:36 AM »
Congrats on your weight loss!How about veggie casseroles? ;)

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 10:09:14 AM »
I don't know of any that are low carb...I can make tons of great vegan casseroles, but none are low carb :( and I don't know how to divide the portions, although, if I had some ideas or recipes, I'm sure I could figure that part out ;) and thanks Umpa!!

jbonaiuto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 11:10:03 PM »
What happens if you don't really like cauliflower?
Do you taste the cauliflower itself?

Thanks for any input.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 11:19:06 PM by jbonaiuto »

TabyTaby

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 01:33:31 AM »
It doesn't really taste like traditional cauliflower, but there's no guarantee that you will like it if you don't already like cauliflower...BUT it's very cheap as a whole head, and if you ended up not liking it, it would hardly be a wasted time and money, because it's not too hard to make nor costly. You could hide the flavor (which is very light) by adding seasoning like tony chachere's or sour cream or cream cheese and butter or chives and cheese...you would probably not notice at all the cauli taste then :)

joagain

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 06:04:51 AM »
jbonaiuto I had never tasted Cauliflower in my live until 7 months ago and it is my favorite veggie , I have used it in everyway possible .
 Make it like Dougs book tells you ,by butting butter salt & pepper and Mayo and it is very good !!!!
 By the way Welcome to FTS !!!

ShihTzuMom1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 09:20:13 AM »
I think our tastebuds have changed now that sugar is not the main ingredient in our daily diet.  I am eating things I never thought I would and enjoying them.  Be open to new ideas, everything about you is changing so your tastes will change too.