Author Topic: Julian Bakery Claims of low carb bread in question  (Read 20778 times)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Julian Bakery Claims of low carb bread in question
« on: April 14, 2010, 05:31:19 PM »
Not long ago I received a request from a reader to explore the carb claims from Julian Bakery Breads. I contacted the bakery who claim to have 1 carb per slice and asked for a sample loaf. They sent me 2 different loaves, one claiming 1 carb per slice and another claiming 2 carbs per slice. After reading the ingredient list I immediately had doubts. I simply didn't believe their label claims based on the ingredient list.My next step was to contact the bakery again and ask for back up to label info. Instead I got a song and dance e mail here's what they said;

Doug,  Our nutritional label was carefully calculated by working with a lab and nutritionist that calculated the nutritional information of each ingredient based on the amounts we used plus the additional benefit of each grain being sprouted which aids in increased fiber and digestion of our bread. We also recommend you take a look at how our bread reacts with a Type 2 Diabetic Customer who did not see an increase in her blood sugar when eating our bread which would not be possible  if our bread was not 1 Net Carb. Please go here:  http://plainolfood.blogspot.com/2009/04/julian-bakerys-smart-carb-1-bread.html

My next step was to go to the blog and and review the testimonial, which was a year old. After reading it I asked the blog owner if her experience with the bread and her blood sugars were still a positive one after a year, she never responded. I did however receive by private e mail this response to my query;

Hi..I just read your post about Julian Bakery bread.  I personally thought it would the best thing in my diabetic life...however, when I first started buying it, I did not test after eating it...as I have been instructed to test before meals. There was no warning when I started using it. When I saw the red warning I did and one slice raised my blood glucose over 100 points.  I will not eat it again.  I used to use the Ezekiel low GI and didn't test then either, but plan to go back and try it.  Who would have thought with all whole grain and lots of fiber, it would cause such a spike..and only one slice... just wanted to speak of my experience. Thanks, Joan

It's very important to recognize that when something seems too good to be true it should be questioned. Labeling of carbs is lax and not really monitored the way you'd expect by the the FDA. Always look at the ingredients on the label when in doubt, if it's loaded with grains it turns to sugar....PERIOD...

Remember this rule, if it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, quacks like a duck....it's a duck  ::)
Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)

iamkathy01

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Julian Bakery Claims of low carb bread in question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 08:42:10 AM »
I am happy to see my experience validated.  I ordered this bread and did an immediate blood test.  With just 1/2 of a slice, my blood sugar went up 65 points!
Tried it again with two eggs, and two pieces of bacon for a 43 point rise.  I did email the company and they told me the same thing they told Doug- and referred me to the same articles.
Kathy

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 08:59:45 AM »
Welcome Iamcathy01.I am umpa dougs wife.i have a column on the homepage called ask umpa where I convert your favorite recipes to fat to skinny friendly.If I can help ,please ask.Labels lie ingredient list don't .When in doubt read the ingredient list ;)

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:17:43 AM »
Hi Kathy, I say it everyday.............don't just read the labels, read the ingredient list............ Manufactures lie all the time about carb counts to sell you products. The FDA simply can't keep up and the rules and fines are lax. FTS teaches you the actual source of hidden sugar and you should know it by heart. Look at the ingredient list on your products and SEE the wheat, corn, oats, grains...don't get confused by terms like stone ground, steel cut, whole grain, high fiber....it's all crap! Ask questions here, you'll get the truth!

REMEMBER

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....it's a duck!

katary

• Global Moderator
  • loose weight & hang with justin bieber:) i did:)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - katary
    • View Profile
    • gary and becky koehler show
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:21:49 AM »
Daffy is a good man:)

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 09:23:16 AM »
I am more of a tweedy girl! :D :D :D

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 09:59:36 PM »
I don't know....looks like Tweedy's gettin kinda old :)

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 05:09:06 AM »
TWEETY IS NOT OLD!!! Insults!!! BAAAAA. Tweety is da man!

iamkathy01

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 06:50:48 AM »
Thanks everyone!  All interesting stuff!  Kathy

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 09:10:17 AM »
Beebs guess what my maiden name is.........Doug thinks he is cute!I am not old!!!!(unless the grandbaby is here)
I was born Sherri Lee Tweedy! ;D My dads family is from Scotland! ;D

beebs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 09:50:59 AM »
That's wicked kewl!!  ;D

umpa

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 09:26:51 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rena

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 12:00:46 PM »
Thanks for this information, Doug. I need to pay more attention to the ingredients, not just the carbs.

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 08:57:17 AM »
I find myself always reading the ingredient lists on foods claiming low carb counts, I also pay special attention to the serving sizes.

Rena

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 11:51:42 AM »
I find myself always reading the ingredient lists on foods claiming low carb counts, I also pay special attention to the serving sizes.

You really have to, don't you? A lot of times it's inaccurate or they make it so hard to figure out by listing calories for foods that are unprepared. I mean, seriously, who eats it unprepared? **shakes head**