Author Topic: Hominy  (Read 3397 times)

becky

• View Profile
Hominy
« on: October 19, 2010, 08:52:22 PM »
Is there anything that I can replace hominy wiht?  I want posole so bad, and it's made with lots of hominy!

Thanks in advance!

Doug Varrieur

• Author
  • Administrator
  • Commited to helping the world :)
    • View Profile
    • Best Weight Loss Book Ever Written! FAT to Skinny Fast and Easy
    • Email
Re: Hominy free posole recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 07:14:34 PM »
Is there anything that I can replace hominy wiht?  I want posole so bad, and it's made with lots of hominy!

Thanks in advance!

Sure, Jicama! simply dice it about the same size as the hominy  ;)

INGREDIENTS1 1/2 lbs. pork shoulder
1/2 onion stuck with 2 cloves
2 cloves garlic, peeled
5 peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
oregano, pinch
1/2 onion onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 cup diced Jicama
3 to 5 cups pork broth from cooking pork shoulder
1 cup canned chopped green chilies
Salt to taste
2 whole jalapenos, canned or fresh, chopped (optional)

Peel and dice the Jicama. Prepare 1/2 onion with the 2 cloves, chop the other half onion, peel and chop the 2 garlic cloves, chop the green chilies and jalapenos if you are using them. 

Place the meat in a large saucepan and just cover with lightly salted water. Add the clove studded onion, 2 cloves peeled garlic, peppercorns, cumin seed, and oregano. Bring to a boil over medium heat, skim off any foam that rises, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove meat and broth, reserving both.

Saute the chopped onion and garlic in oil until translucent. Add the remaining spices, stir for a minute. Cut the reserved pork into 1 inch cubes and add to the pan. Stir in the Jicama, pork broth (if there is not enough pork broth, add chicken stock), green chilies and jalapenos (optional).

Cook at a simmer, covered, for 45 to 60 minutes until the meat is tender. If necessary, cook for up to an additional 60 minutes until the chilies and onions are well blended into the broth. Degrease the stew, taste for salt, and serve in soup bowls.

Keep The Faith, Stay The Course, Spread The Word on Facebook and Twitter  8)